Would a petrolatum gauze be good for an open chest wound?

ThatEMTGuy

Forum Crew Member
i always thought it was plastic like material taped on 3 sides, but would it work with petrolatum gauze taped 3 sides as well?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Good luck actually getting the tape to stick on the gauze. What is normally done is to just peel off one side of the foil wrapping and then place the gauze and the other piece of foil over the injury and then tape it down.

OP
OP
T

ThatEMTGuy

Forum Crew Member
Good luck actually getting the tape to stick on the gauze. What is normally done is to just peel off one side of the foil wrapping and then place the gauze and the other piece of foil over the injury and then tape it down.
gotcha! tape down on 3 sides as well?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I was taught for the sucking chest wound tape 3 sides, but tape all 4 sides if there's an exit wound on the back

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Taping the occlusive dressing is the ensure that air does not re-enter the chest cavity. Also, as the patient breaths and the lung fills, the air in the chest cavity will need to escape. Taping three corners allows the cavity to "burp" out any air that was causing the pneumothorax. A paramedic could do needle decompression "needle T" of the chest cavity to remove the air causing the pneumothorax or tension pneumothorax.

Basically, each wound is different and needs to be treated prn. However, understanding why you are applying tape and what the intent of the dressing or bandaging is for and why is most important.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I would use an occlusive dressing. I can think of no advantage that petroleum gauze would offer.

Given the shape of the thorax, the uneven shape of many wounds, and hair, blood, and sweat on the skin, it could prove pretty difficult to neatly and securely tape down 3 sides yet leave one side open just enough that air can escape yet close enough to the skin that air won't be entrained. Much simpler and quicker to just tape all of it down as secure as possible.

Then if a tension pneumothorax results during transport, you can just peel the dressing back a little to allow air to escape, and then re-secure it.

Angel

Paramedic
Okay something I never understood was, why poke them again if they already have a hole?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
You poke them again because the other hole is now covered up with an occlusive dressing that you have applied and there is now no way for air to escape. The air in a tension pneumo is trapped between the lung and the chest wall. Therefore, the only way for the air to be relieved is to take it out through the chest wall. I understand what you are saying about why make another hole when the first one caused the problem, but the cannula will not allow as much air in as it does out. Air likes to take the path of least resistance. It is much easier for it go into your lungs/pleural cavity by mouth/breathing rather than through a tiny tube. Try breathing in through a straw and then out again. See which one is easier, and how much air you are able to inhale each time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You poke them again because the other hole is now covered up with an occlusive dressing that you have applied and there is now no way for air to escape. The air in a tension pneumo is trapped between the lung and the chest wall. Therefore, the only way for the air to be relieved is to take it out through the chest wall. I understand what you are saying about why make another hole when the first one caused the problem, but the cannula will not allow as much air in as it does out. Air likes to take the path of least resistance. It is much easier for it go into your lungs/pleural cavity by mouth/breathing rather than through a tiny tube. Try breathing in through a straw and then out again. See which one is easier, and how much air you are able to inhale each time.
Why not just "burp" the occulsive dressing?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Occlusive dressing.

The foil wrapper or package that was used to package the petroleum dressing would work better as an occlusive dressing then the petroleum dressing itself. Good luck getting tape to stick on a petroleum dressing.

When I secure an occlusive dressing I tape all 4 sides - except on two sides I only tape about 3/4ths as to leave one corner "un-taped" . I find it easier to "burp" and it doesn't "leak" as much as only taping 3 sides and leaving an entire side un secured. But that's just a personal preference.

Also if your just walking up on someone with an open neck wound, chest found, etc slapping your gloved hand over it works well as a temporary occlusive dressing until you are able to properly apply one.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Also if the patient is not breathing on their own ( dead, RSI'd, or is being ventilated soley via bvm, tube, etc) there is no negative pressure being created from the diaphragm contracting. So although important to slap on an occlusive dressing,but a stop cock/flutter valve on after a needle decompression, - there's less concern of a sucking chest wound or air being pulled in after a needle decompression due to the diaphragm not causing that difference in pressure. So do what you need first ( airway, take care of major bleeds, etc)

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
My FTO told me that the petrolatum gauze is the occlusive dressing, except you do need to tape 3 sides.
I've never used one, so I dont know how well it sticks.

What I was taught in school was to tape 3 sides for an open chest wound, if it doesnt work, change the placement of the tapes.
If that doesn't help, then remove the dressing altogether in order to remain the current situation.

I've never had any special instructions in treating an open would with an exit wound in the back. Any insights?

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
This site has very good training resources. My former Dept. uses them for our Tac and Active Shooter bags. Anything will work even a package wrapper if that is all you have. The defib pads stick to anything and Ashermann's won't stick to anything. I've heard of Medics using Breachers Tape with some petroleum jelly around the hole. I've never done that but it makes sense it would work.