Worth it to work as an event medic?

Mya

Forum Crew Member
The company I applied to would like me to buy my own equipment of course (~$140), as well as insurance($105) and uniform ($35). The only thing is that I wouldn't want to work this full time, but just as extra cash until a few companies get back to (currently in training with one company that has me on "hold" right now...been two weeks).

I just feel like I'm putting more money into this than I'll be getting out, but IDK if that's just ME thinking this because I have no experience working events and sets. What do you guys think? Should I just wait to secure a real job? Salary is $10/hr for first 10 shifts, next 10 would be $11 and next ten $12. After that they said they'll talk to me.

Thanks!

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I just feel like I'm putting more money into this than I'll be getting out.
That is a high possibility. You will have to spend $280 on your own stuff, which essentially means you will be working 28 hours for free. Do you know yet how long and how frequently your shifts would be? You indicated that you are looking at this job as a temporary gig to make a little cash. If I was in your position, I would find a non EMS part time job and keep applying to real companies. That would probably be the most profitable option with the least amount of hassle.

Reactions: Mya

Summit

Critical Crazy
That's rediculous. Find a reputable company

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I agree with Summit. Do not waste your time or money on this company. At minimum, a company should provide a uniform with the tools you need to do the job without you paying a dime.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Event medical groups vary widely in quality. (I largely do events and have settled in group I like).

A good question to ask yourself is whether it seems your safety and wellbeing is the top priority of the group.

Asking you to get your own insurance is a red flag to me.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
It's common for smaller event companies to hire people as 1099 contractors, and treat them as such. Unfortunately they almost always blur the lines between employees and contractors.

I worked for one, kept my head down and did my job. It was easy, stead money with plenty of hours at cool events. I used it to supplement my full time ambo job. However I eventually got tired of the owners tight rules and nonsense. I don't really miss it.

There are very good standby jobs available.