Worried about new job

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
While randomly Googling a company I just got hired with, I found they were recently sued for not paying over $200,000 in overtime. There was even a thread here that I'm sure they were talking about this company

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=24120

Do I need to be concerned about this? It was almost two years ago And a few people I've been going through my ems classes with work for them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Have you asked your classmates that work for them? ... Seems like they'd have better info than the hearsay you're going to get from here.

leoemt

Forum Captain
While randomly Googling a company I just got hired with, I found they were recently sued for not paying over $200,000 in overtime. There was even a thread here that I'm sure they were talking about this company

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=24120

Do I need to be concerned about this? It was almost two years ago And a few people I've been going through my ems classes with work for them.

Many ambulance companies have been sued. Doesn't make them bad. I don't even want to think how many times my company has been sued.

So what if they have been sued for OT issues, are they still licensed with the state then they are still in business. Check their status through whoever oversees EMS in your state.

Quite frankly, if it happened 2 years ago it really is none of your concern. Its all water under the bridge now.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Many ambulance companies have been sued. Doesn't make them bad. I don't even want to think how many times my company has been sued.

So what if they have been sued for OT issues, are they still licensed with the state then they are still in business. Check their status through whoever oversees EMS in your state.

Quite frankly, if it happened 2 years ago it really is none of your concern. Its all water under the bridge now.

I'd say not paying out OT is a HUGE issue but that's just me...kinda prefer to get paid for the hours that I work, especially those that are more than my usual hours.

I still say talk to your classmates that work there and 100% agree with Leo about contacting the Texas OEMS and find out if they are in good standing or under investigation for anything, that's public knowledge if I'm not mistaken.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

You would not be concerned that your employer has a history of payroll violations? I don't know about you, but I work so that I get paid, and I expect to be paid exactly what I am owed in a timely fashion. Being licensed by the state does not mean that no shady payroll activity is occurring. Companies can still operate while under investigation or under remediation for business practice violations that do not affect service delivery.

Who knows what has happened in the last two years. Maybe they have new management, but the OP should make an effort to talk to current employees to make sure that all is well. I wouldn't disqualify this company from my job search, but I would certainly exercise some caution.