Worried about driving an ambulance?

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
I am going to graduate soon and will be working, however if I have to drive an ambulance I am ruined because I don't know how to drive in the freeway, I am scared of it and don't know much about directions. Have any of you had any similar problems and how did you deal with it? I don't even have much experience driving. I barely started so I am freaking out.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
There are non driving EMT jobs:
- A company that does event standbys only
- ER tech / ED tech
- Attedant only in the ambulance

Unfortunately, I think the majority of jobs will probably require you to drive. This is at least true in my area. These non driving jobs in my area are rare or even volunteer (Rock Medicine for event standbys in the San Francisco Bay Area). ER tech jobs pay well so they are very competitive and hard to get. Usually requires experience, which most people get on the ambulance. Attedant only positions are almost unheard of right now in my area, but I know I've seen companies hiring for this before. May be more frequently done outside of where I live.

What were you expecting when you signed up for EMT? What's your goal? Don't most people associate EMTs with ambulances?

I have no advice other than the obvious. Get over your fear. Practice driving your regular car. Good luck getting a paying job that doesn't require driving.

Cinemod

Forum Ride Along
Drive more. The best way to become a better driver is through experience. Go on the freeway at night when there is less traffic, get use to the speeds and changing lanes. Practice driving in different traffic patterns and road conditions.

Having some fear is somewhat healthy, but you would benefit more from being confident in your driving ability.

wtferick

Forum Captain
To be honest. I actually drove on the freeway for the first time in an ambulance. It was not as hard as many make it seem. Aslong as your side mirrors (whiskers like cats..) stay within the lane. Should be fine :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Who did you think drove the ambulance exactly?

Find someone that's comfortable with taking you out on to a highway so you can get at least somewhat comfortable with driving before getting into an ambulance.