Working with Paramedics

adhemtbasic172

Forum Ride Along
I want to know how do you work with a paramedic who thinks he is all of that and a bag of beans as well. I worked with some who thought I was not good for anything except something to yell at because they messed up on a call.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
There are two sides to every story. The other person in question is not here to defend themselves, so I will not get into person bashing and a one sided conversation. I will ask this of you since you are here. What mistakes did you make and how could you do better?

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
desertdoc has a very good point. What actions did they have that made them seem that way? I personally know I can come off very cocky without trying to. But it is because I'm confident in my skills. At the same time I'm always willing to teach any level that wants to learn. And I always try to learn from those who know more than I do. Its hard to give advice because I've worked with all levels that think they are the best when they're dumb as hell and I have had partners that I wasn't nice to because I wasn't even sure how they passed basic class...

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I want to know how do you work with a paramedic who thinks he is all of that and a bag of beans as well. I worked with some who thought I was not good for anything except something to yell at because they messed up on a call.

It doesn't really matter if someone thinks they are "all that" if they treat you with respect and respect your training and value, then it shouldn't be an issue. You may have a problem with your paramedic, but you may not have figured out the true issue.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

In what manner did This medic yell at you? When? How? Was it constructive criticism (I.e. with ways and instruction to do it better as a team)? Was a witness present?

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief

Well, you don't need to sit there and get yelled at. That's for sure.

Tell them you'd be happy to discuss the call and what could have gone better, but that they're going to have to stop yelling before you'll be willing to do that. Try and identify what they're actually concerned about, and consider whether it's reasonable.

I have had very few problems working with EMT partners. Most of them have happened when I'm having to intervene on a call that appeared BLS, but has started to take on some dimension that requires me to do additional assessment or treatment. Sometimes it can disrupt the flow a little bit when the paramedic has to step in, especially if the EMT partner doesn't realise why.

As a medic the things that would upset me would mostly be

- if an EMT interrupts me when I'm doing history taking or assessment, unless there's something they feel is very important for me to know right now.

- if an EMT tried to go out of their scope and start suggesting telling the patient they're going to receive specific ALS treatments that I might not have decided are indicated yet.

- if they question my judgment in any way in front of the patient or family. I mean, if there's a life-threatening situation about to happen that I haven't anticipated, let me know -- I might be making a mistake. But do it in a way that I don't look like an idiot.

- any resistance about me taking over a call. If I've decided to give pain control, and because of that, I've decided to ride in the back, that's my right. It doesn't mean the EMT is a bad provider, just that I think my skills might be needed during transport.

- general stupidity / rudeness / provoking a fight / trying to elicit a cancellation on someone sick.

Beyond that, I don't care if my EMT doesn't know how to draw up meds. I can show them. I don't care if they can't do a 12-lead. I can do it, or show them, etc. I don't care if they miss all their IVs. We all have bad days, and I can do this too. Everything gets taken care of in the end.

I'm trying hard to remember a situation I actually felt it was necessary to yell at someone for. I just don't think getting mad is effective. If the goal is to correct a mistake, it's usually much more effective just to explain what went wrong, and how it could go be done differently in the future.

If the paramedic just has a big attitude, well, you're stuck with that. It's probably annoying to other paramedics too.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

The impression I get from the tone of your post is that you're not considering this matter as objectively as you could. Based on your statements, you seem to be making assumptions about what the other person thinks and feels. Have you considered discussing this one-on-one with that person? None of us knows as much about what happened as the two of you.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I would probably talk to my paramedic partner about it before I went to the internet, but that's just me. :ph34r: