Working Security/EMS again... part time

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Some of you may remember, back in 2004 when I first joined the group, I was working in a private retirement community & resort doing security and EMS. The 96 acre property has 49 homes, 271 apartments in four buildings (plus another building is being built), a three story assisted living building and a five wing skilled nursing facility.

Well, on Friday I started back with them, just working a couple of days a week just to pay some bills off. While talking with them a few days earlier they said that things were pretty quiet usually, but 10 minutes into my first day I had my first (again) run. 84 y/o male, "just not feeling well; exhausted". Along with security a "e-call" nurse also responds. Well that day the nurse beat us (she had about 4 minutes notice before us) and when I arrived he was already being interviewed. Turns out he actually was out walking on his own earlier in the morning (which is fine) and he fell; didn't tell anyone. Later he admitted that a week ago his doctor said that he wanted him to go to the hospital for some xrays and other work. He never went. So out he went, via ambulance.

Went available and the boss looked at me, smiling. I was like, "What?" He said, "You always were the
censored1.gif
magnet." I just smiled back and said, "It's good to be back."

Tonight will be the first full day back. I'll get to poke around the medical bags more to see what they are carrying these days. Should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Sounds good chimp! Do you respond in a golf cart-type vehicle?

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I thought I'd take a moment and check in.

We have two rides on our dept: a golf cart and a Chevy 1500. Unfortunately things have not improved too much since I left a year and half ago.

The truck doesn't have any equipment in it, but the golf cart carries LifePak CR Plus, BVM, CPR Pocket Mask, and a small first aid kit. I roll my eyes everyday, but knowing the training that my fellow security officers have, this is all we should have. :unsure: I mean, they are great guys but they come from the security line, not the EMS side.

As mentioned above, the community is made up of independent living, assisted living, and a skilled nursing center. All residents have the option of wearing a pendant that when pushed will get them help. Some do, some don't. If they need help they can either push their button, call security, call the receptionist, or call the head nurse. Either way, security will respond. In addition to security responding, the "e-call nurse" (an RN) also responds. Most of the time she is in charge of the scene and makes the decision whether or not an ambulance is called.

I've worked four 8 hours shifts so far and I've already popped three runs: one ambulatory, one non-emerg transport for a resident back to her apartment (which she ended up going to the hospital after I got off but that's another story), and one last night because the husband wanted to unload his wife on the assisted living facility. That's pretty good considering my hours (1600-2400). After 2000 hrs most of the members are back home and by 2200 they area all asleep.

Could things improve a little bit? Oh yeah. All of the officers are FA/CPR/AED trained. I feel they should go through at least CPR for the Professional Rescuer, if not the First Responder class. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
interesting testimony to the 'graying of America' and those that would monopolize on it.

although we (in Vt) do not have anything larger than the local fossil home i can see why everyone from real estate developers to pharmacutical delivery boys would flock to fleece the elderly of any inheritance they might have accumulated

however, the speture of have/have nots once again raises it's ugly head , where one needs to be set up in life to assume such accomodations in their golden years

oh well, perhaps they'll really invent that solent green machine to silence those whiners once and for all!

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Wow Chimp, Been an exciting first day! Have you mentioned to your boss about upping the training a bit? It's not like your asking they all go to the EMT program.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Stevo said:
although we (in Vt) do not have anything larger than the local fossil home i can see why everyone from real estate developers to pharmacutical delivery boys would flock to fleece the elderly of any inheritance they might have accumulated
It's not like they are forced to live there.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
sure Chimpie, they tell the same thing to the fossil home contestants here too....yeah there are choices, yet the easy avenues that are prearranged become the paths of least resistance, and when one is old and tired, one will seek just that.

~S~

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
But you have to understand, this is not just a retirement home. This is like a frickin' resort. Homes start off at a million, apartments like $700k. Plus they pay $4k a month for services (healthcare, security, housekeeping, etc). And most of these people own several homes and condos. Trust me, they are living here by choice.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
Wow Chimp, Been an exciting first day! Have you mentioned to your boss about upping the training a bit? It's not like your asking they all go to the EMT program.
I'm not at the point where I'm going to start making recommendations. Don't want to rock the boat yet.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
But you have to understand, this is not just a retirement home. This is like a frickin' resort. Homes start off at a million, apartments like $700k. Plus they pay $4k a month for services (healthcare, security, housekeeping, etc). And most of these people own several homes and condos. Trust me, they are living here by choice.

my bad Chimpie

we're not big on those gated communities here, at least not yet.

but i suppose that sort of classist segragation isn't all that far away given the widening disparity

perhaps i'll keep up my certs for a similar gig?

~S~

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What does the "oh crap" nurse respond with? does she have a decent first aid kit/ jump bag?

We have a similar community in this area. They have 1-2 EMT/Security Officers on 24x7... and there was even some talk about them getting thier own ambulance not that long ago.

Jon

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
She has an AED as well (in case she arrives on scene first), a first aid kit of some kind (never had the chance to look in it), and some nursing stuff.