Working on an ambulance and going to university?

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hello,
Admittedly this is going to be my first post (and actually the reason I created an account). Anyway I am a university student (second year) and a new RI basic. Anyway I am looking at part-time employment on some of the local private ambulances, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and could explain to me how it worked out for you.

I am pushing through a degree program full time, but ultimately I need an income! The only worry of mine is whether or not it will be 'do-able'-- are nights/overnights considered sought after (will it be easy to procure a schedule of nights and weekends?) And how busy are those shifts in terms of patient transfers? I am used to working on a 911 system so I imagine it differs significantly doing 'taxi service' type runs. Lastly what do shifts actually consist of-- I mean I know it's basically a 'you call, we haul' type service, but what is it really?

Anyone have experience with the RI companies?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded questions!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
not sure about rhode island, but in the NY/NJ area, plenty of companies will hire you part time or per diem. some will even allow you to make your own schedule (put in the days you are available, and they will use you where they can).

as for the workload it all depends on where you work.