Working in LA County

BruceS

Forum Ride Along
I just signed up for the EMT program at Rio Hondo. Ive been reading threads and most people have a negative opinion about EMS in LA County. Could somebody explain why? I want to eventually become a paramedic too if that will help give a better answer

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Could somebody explain why?

Had you actually read the replies in those threads you would have your answer...

I'll pretty much summarize every LACo thread on this very forum... Fire is sub-par at best (this is coming from someone whose trying to go FD BTW), the protocols are ****, a transport paramedic is just that... a ride from point A to point B... no 911 for private paramedics in LACo, there are better neighboring counties for both EMT's and paramedics such as Riverside and San Bernardino, the LACo mentality is toxic, the private ambulance are sketchy with the exception to a few...

Thats pretty much it from off the top of my head, I'm sure others will chime in on anything that I may have missed.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
Private ALS sin LA county is degrading, no respect... no automu either... start an IV? You better be caking base immediately after that or else.... the only pro is that some companies pay high 20s low 30s per hour for medics ... where as neighboring counties still pay 12-17 for medics

OP
OP
B

BruceS

Forum Ride Along
Had you actually read the replies in those threads you would have your answer...

I'll pretty much summarize every LACo thread on this very forum... Fire is sub-par at best (this is coming from someone whose trying to go FD BTW), the protocols are ****, a transport paramedic is just that... a ride from point A to point B... no 911 for private paramedics in LACo, there are better neighboring counties for both EMT's and paramedics such as Riverside and San Bernardino, the LACo mentality is toxic, the private ambulance are sketchy with the exception to a few...

Thats pretty much it from off the top of my head, I'm sure others will chime in on anything that I may have missed.
I should have worded it differently. I wanted a list of negative things that give LA a bad reputation which you did so thank you!

OP
OP
B

BruceS

Forum Ride Along
Private ALS sin LA county is degrading, no respect... no automu either... start an IV? You better be caking base immediately after that or else.... the only pro is that some companies pay high 20s low 30s per hour for medics ... where as neighboring counties still pay 12-17 for medics
Some pay 20s-30s? Really?