Words of Encouragement

ultimatefailure

Forum Probie
Well, I am going to take my NR exam on Monday August 3...it's going to be my second time and all I can say is that it was hard the first time around. I've read around these forums and noticed that a lot of people who have passed have said to not get any practice books...i borrowed the kaplan one and the barron one from the library cause it's free. I've taken 2 of the 3 practice tests in the back of the books legitimately(meaning I sat down and timed myself, and I also took them without flipping through the pages to change answers) on the average of the 2 tests, I've been about an 83% which I think is still pretty bad. I've also been reading the textbook from class from cover to cover. Is there anything else I can do? haha not to sound mopey or nothin' but I just feel like a the ultimate failure.

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
OK, for starters, when you are not the ultimate faliure. Change your name. Secondly, You need to learn some basic study skills. #1. Go with your first answer. Do not second guess yourself. You get confused that way. #2. If you are taking the test, then you have already been through that part of class. It is in there somewhere. Stop forcing it. RELAX!!! Get some rest and try again tomorrow. When you do, apply #1 and see if that makes a difference. Let me know :)

surub

Forum Crew Member
Well, I am going to take my NR exam on Monday August 3...it's going to be my second time and all I can say is that it was hard the first time around. I've read around these forums and noticed that a lot of people who have passed have said to not get any practice books...i borrowed the kaplan one and the barron one from the library cause it's free. I've taken 2 of the 3 practice tests in the back of the books legitimately(meaning I sat down and timed myself, and I also took them without flipping through the pages to change answers) on the average of the 2 tests, I've been about an 83% which I think is still pretty bad. I've also been reading the textbook from class from cover to cover. Is there anything else I can do? haha not to sound mopey or nothin' but I just feel like a the ultimate failure.

Yeah man don't get down on yourself. First time I failed I felt like :censored::censored::censored::censored: and like a complete failure. But I managed to get it the 2nd round. Just believe in yourself and don't read to much into the question. Also make sure not to 2nd guess yourself only if you're 150% sure that changing the answer will get you the right one.

Relax man, you got it this round.

FFMckenzie

Forum Probie
. Also make sure not to 2nd guess yourself only if you're 150% sure that changing the answer will get you the right one.

These guys both said what I was going to say. Besides all of the things you study remember the BASICS. The test will make you want to second guess yourself all the time.

Remember your ABC's and initial assessment they are the bread and butter your always going to need those no matter what it is right? and remember the order they go in. Dont tunnel vision!

simplify everything, the test will try to make things seem overly complicated. Cut through the wording and get to the real problem if it takes you a little extra time then so be it.

Good luck! dont let your nerves get the best of you its just a test ;)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My words of encouragement---

"Don't fail". If you do that, I guarantee you'll pass.

OP
OP
U

ultimatefailure

Forum Probie
thank you everyone

thanks for the advice guys

and to the quote "don't fail" it'll guarantee a pass, haha that's a good one haha^_^ haha.

man...3 days. i was at the library today for 7 hours, i'm surprised i sat through the whole time just reading the book. i hope to do the ems community proud and pass this thing

Sasha

Forum Chief
. I've read around these forums and noticed that a lot of people who have passed have said to not get any practice books...i borrowed the kaplan one and the barron one from the library cause it's free

So you acknowledge people said not to do it, but did it anyway?

OP
OP
U

ultimatefailure

Forum Probie
feel like i need to know facts

i feel like i need to know facts...the study guide books aren't bad, they're structured in groups like the letter NREMT sends on what parts you did well or not. I think the people in other forums were saying not to memorize the test questions.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"U".. can I call you "U"?....

Even if you don't pass the test you probably have learned the course.
Maybe what you need is to take a lot of practice tests of all sorts except EMS just to get rid of test anxiety? My kid "got over" test-osis and became a deans' list student. Of course he never USED the degree....:sad:

You know, a skill they can't teach you in class is to CHILL. EMS and tests do not demand that you be on adrenaline red alert. You know the answers, pretend your younger sibling or mother or girlfriend is asking you some questions, you just answer them, move on, and if you are stuck, make the best answer and go back only if they are really stinkerrooo wrong.
You know, just like open heart surgery! :))
If you can stay loose for a test you can stay loose at a scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And change that stinking name!!

Unless it's your real name,
Then sue your parents.

Sasha

Forum Chief
i feel like i need to know facts...the study guide books aren't bad, they're structured in groups like the letter NREMT sends on what parts you did well or not. I think the people in other forums were saying not to memorize the test questions.

You should have known the facts out of EMT school. :p

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
UltimateFailure, this is the pot calling the kettle black times a billion, but you need to work on having more confidence in yourself.

The truth is that all of us make mistakes, no matter how hard we try even if they are little ones. I was convinced completely, 100 percent, that I had failed this test and was considering whether to continue EMS before I fount out my results! Confidence is essential for the work we do.

I have a hard time with it as well.

Best wishes and best of luck

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Free advice: Put the books down, right now. You have taken the course and have now studied yourself into oblivion (7 hours? Are you nuts?) and are more than likely exhausted. Your learning curve is essentially flat at this point, and if you don't know it by now, you're not going to learn and retain at this point. Go see a movie, have a beer, relax, walk the dog, and just generally chill out. Keep going like you are now and by Monday you won't be able to remember your name. If you run a race and win but kill the horse in the process, all you'll have is a dead horse. We have all failed in our endeavours from time to time, but don't get all wrapped around the axle about it. Good luck on your test.

P.S. Go find a copy of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale's book "The Power of Positive Thinking"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

ultimatefailure

Forum Probie
thanks for the advice

i have read all the input...more than a few times im sure. i keep waking up randomly, haha probably because i'm nervous. but i do feel pretty good, and i took a practice test on friday on this pearson website, 150 questions...i got an 80% i hope i can do the same on the actual. thanks for the support everyone. i hope do you all proud.

medic417

The Truth Provider
aww man...i don't feel like i did so well.

Oh well not everyone is cut out for EMS. Perhaps you can visit a career counselor and see what career would be better suited for you.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh well not everyone is cut out for EMS. Perhaps you can visit a career counselor and see what career would be better suited for you.
I believe you are allowed to take the NREMTB a total of 6 times before you have to retake the entire class. After 3 fails you are given the oppurtinity to take a remedial course, and upon completion of that course you can retest up to 3 more times!

(which is kinda really scary)