Words of advice for new EMT student?

Weeooh

Forum Probie
I'm taking the EMT basic and advanced classes together in about a month.

Is there anything i will want to really practice or delve deeper into while i'm there? What parts of training do you think is used the most in the field?
Are there any parts of the training that are especially complicated that i may want to learn a little about before training begins?

I havent sat a classroom in like 20 years, so I'm kind of nervous.

Did you all feel ready for the job after training, or did you feel disoriented?

Thanks

ResQchick

Forum Probie
I'm confused as to how you take both basic and Advanced at the same time. It seems counter productive, and will become very confusing. I'm in NYS (Suffolk County), we have to have some Basic time under our belt before going for an ALS class.
That being said, I don't know where you live, but if you're a member of a Fire Department, you can see what kinds of calls are common in your area. Where I live it's cardiac, MVA's, and Overdoses. You will need to know, frankly, everything they teach you and be comfortable performing it.
I've been a Basic for 21 years, and I'm currently at the end of my Critical Care EMT course. When I graduated Basic, I felt quite incompetent. If anyone feels ready to team lead fresh out of school, I don't believe them. lol. Watch the more experienced EMT's and learn. Don't be afraid, or shy, ask questions, and don't reject the grunt work-it will teach you.
I love EMS, it's my adrenaline rush. I wish you good luck!

PassionMedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm confused as to how you take both basic and Advanced at the same time. It seems counter productive, and will become very confusing. I'm in NYS (Suffolk County), we have to have some Basic time under our belt before going for an ALS class.
That being said, I don't know where you live, but if you're a member of a Fire Department, you can see what kinds of calls are common in your area. Where I live it's cardiac, MVA's, and Overdoses. You will need to know, frankly, everything they teach you and be comfortable performing it.
I've been a Basic for 21 years, and I'm currently at the end of my Critical Care EMT course. When I graduated Basic, I felt quite incompetent. If anyone feels ready to team lead fresh out of school, I don't believe them. lol. Watch the more experienced EMT's and learn. Don't be afraid, or shy, ask questions, and don't reject the grunt work-it will teach you.
I love EMS, it's my adrenaline rush. I wish you good luck!

I was assuming it was a back to back type of
Course, like how SCCC did the fall EMT/winter session semester 1 for cc/ semester 2 cc for a critical care Cert in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ResQchick

Forum Probie
I was assuming it was a back to back type of
Course, like how SCCC did the fall EMT/winter session semester 1 for cc/ semester 2 cc for a critical care Cert in a year.

As far as I know, SCCC doesn't give a critical care course, just Paramedic, and that's an 18 month course, and you must be an EMT for a year I believe.
I'm in school at the SCEMS Academy for CC. I'm in the 2nd to last class of it's kind-CC's are being phased out, so I'll be bridging to medic after 3 years.
The CC Course is a year long.

PassionMedic

Forum Crew Member
@ResQchick Now. Lol up until they started the paramedic program SCCC ran a CC Class that was 2 semesters long (fall/spring) and you could take your EMT fall semester, cram all the lectures from CC fall into a 2 (or might have been 3 week) winter session, do your fall rotations over the remaining 3 weeks of winter break and join the class in Jan to get your cc in may. I never saw the benefit in that, but I took my CC there back in '08, and I had people in my class who did just that. I was hoping they would have started the medic program that fall, as I would have loved to continue to study with them.

Miss being an active part of the SCEMS family.

ResQchick

Forum Probie
Yeah, @PassionMedic, Back then, I was raising 4 kids and waiting to rejoin a fire department!

That course as it was sounds far too intense for me! lol!! I'd be in the medic program now, but my A & P is 30 years old and they wouldn't accept it as a prereq. So, I'll bridge from CC (God willing I pass!!).

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Weeooh, can you get hold of the textbook before class? It wouldn't hurt to start reading it. I'm not sure where you are or how EMT and AEMT curricula are being combined, but at the advanced level, cardiology and pharmacology are two important areas. Also, refreshing basic math -- e.g., fractions, decimals, simple algebra and the metric system -- would probably be worthwhile.

OP
OP
W

Weeooh

Forum Probie
Thanks, all. I'm in GA. The class is being held at Faithful Guardian Training Center. http://www.faithfulguardian.com/admissions-process It's just back-to-back courses. I'm not sure about getting the textbooks before class, but I'll call and ask on Monday.
Do yall know of any good supplemental books?
Math. Good to know. That's not my greatest talent.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Do yall know of any good supplemental books?

If you're interested in getting a first-hand perspective on advanced EMS education, you could read "Lights & Sirens" by Kevin Grange. Even though it's about paramedic school, there are parts that will likely apply to your upcoming experiences.