Women At Disadvantaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
Alot of women in the EMS world are at a disadvantage when it comes down to it. especaly with pts. that are agressive women have to be aggresive with the pts.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmm, is there a point here, or maybe a question?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Alot of women in the EMS world are at a disadvantage when it comes down to it. especaly with pts. that are agressive women have to be aggresive with the pts.
Translation:
Dear sir or madam,
It has come to my attention that womyn seem to be at some sort of disadvantage in EMS, especially in terms of patient care. Aggressive womyn are forced to be aggressive with patients.

Sincerely,
Jayxbird521

Whatcha ya talkin about Willis?

Last edited by a moderator:

jrm818

Forum Captain

I think I saw this movie. Don't you have to be over 18 to rent that one?:rolleyes:

Dear sir or madam,

I notice you use the archaic spelling of "madam." You think its just a coincidence that "mad" appears in that word, as well as "dam/n"? Furthermore you re-assert the patriarchal hegemony exerted over the non-"male" so-called "genders" by placing the male before the so-called "femyle." I"m not even going to address the horribly oppressive and presumptious gender binary you present with your chauvinistic presumption that the reader is either a "sir" or "madam." Needless to say, I'm highly offended.

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
I don't really think women are at much of a disadvantage at all, in some cases they can pull off the motherly love aspect quite well. the only women I personally do not care working for are the ones who THINK they are at a disadvantage so they act super *****y and hardcore so patients won't undermine them.

Nothing more I hate than having to work with a total :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:, same goes for having to work for guys that are total *******s.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Transulation= I just read my favorite magazine JEMS and they had an article about women in EMS.

Okay, sorry not to slam, but geez! Enough is enough! Yes, I am not attempting to pick or slam anyone. Alike slamming there should there be a policy of at least having to post intelligible wording and usage of the English language & grammar. Surely, one could make a sentence structure enough so one could understand and interpret the posting! This is ridiculous, spell check is free and this is from someone that attempts to portray themselves as a health care professional? Can you imagine in attempting to read their PCR.

However; if I was an attorney, I would love have to it in court! Your honor, I rest my case.

R/r 911

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with the above posts, but to get to the "issue" that you pointed out, I'm just not really seeing it.

Although I am just a student, I've never seen a hint of gender-based inequality in EMS. Of course discrimination is going to happen in isolated incidents, but that's just a fact of life. That happens in any industry you could get into, and there are many industries that have much bigger problems with gender discrimination than EMS. Although any level of discrimination is wrong, I don't see it as a problem that affects EMS as a whole at all.

As a female EMS student, I have yet to face any disadvantage at all due to my gender, nor have I heard of any of my many female friends in EMS facing any difficulties.

I don't understand what you're talking about with aggressive patients either. No EMT should ever be aggressive with a pt, regardless of the caregiver's gender or how aggressive the patient is. I mean if you're at risk of bodily harm, by all means take action, but don't be aggressive about it; be defensive.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Let us flash back to the year 1978. On second thought, let us not go there.

Jayxbird521's signature:
EMS Earn $Money$ Sleeping

If you wake up from your sleep, it is now the year 2008.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I
I don't understand what you're talking about with aggressive patients either. No EMT should ever be aggressive with a pt, regardless of the caregiver's gender or how aggressive the patient is. I mean if you're at risk of bodily harm, by all means take action, but don't be aggressive about it; be defensive.

I believe? What he is saying is the opposite. Women get mistreated and abused verbally and discriminately because they are female.

Yes, it happens a lot in EMS, even with the large numbers of females in this profession. There is still allot of testerone out there.

I also believe in the "aggressiveness"; again I might be wrong? He was discussing patients being aggressive to female medics. I too have witnessed intoxicated male patients that want to be argumentative or play grab arse. Again, more in numbers in comparison than that of female to male.

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm...

It is how one presents themselves to the patient and to the public and their co-workers............ It should not matter if you are a man or a woman.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Let us flash back to the year 1978. On second thought, let us not go there.

Oh, C'mon Vent.. I still have my open satin shirt, chains and platform shoes. Maybe a little Bee-Gees and watch a little Grease?... :D

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief

It is hard to decipher what he means considering other issues in threads that he has started.

Alot of women in the EMS world are at a disadvantage when it comes down to it.

That is simply not the case for most women in EMS across the board. For both men and women in the profession, an alternative plan of action should always be available when confronted with aggressive patients.

There is aggressiveness and then there is confrontation with a fine line between the two.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Oh, C'mon Vent.. I still have my open satin shirt, chains and platform shoes. Maybe a little Bee-Gees and watch a little Grease?... :D

R/r 911

Yes Rid, let the good times roll...again. B)

I (and you too Rid) am just approaching my prime which I understand my age group is the new 29.

I'm not all pearls and lace at work either.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant

R/r 911

Way to go Rid. Disco is not dead just on life support. I have to agree with Airway Goddess the impression you give out to the public goes a long way in determining how you are perceived.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I too have witnessed intoxicated male patients that want to be argumentative or play grab arse. Again, more in numbers in comparison than that of female to male.

R/r 911

Oh I believe that, but that's just an inherent risk you take as working as a woman in a customer service type industry, especially one that has you dealing with drunks and generally unsavory characters often. Waitresses and bartenders deal with it all the time. It's not because of a problem in EMS, it's because of a problem out there in society that is basically impossible to solve.

Does it put women at a disadvantage in EMS? Maybe. Perhaps women in EMS are more likely to be assaulted or face real physical harm from aggressive patients, and I'm willing to bet that more than a few female EMTs have been sexually assaulted by patients with long-standing psychological costs.

However as I said before, this isn't due to a problem with EMS, and I think that people going into EMS, regardless of their gender, understand that they are taking risks by choosing this career path. It's an uncontrolled environment that exposes you to many dangers that range from infections to fire to combative patients to back problems. Women may take an additional risk or two thanks to their gender, but it seems that for most it usually turns out to be more of an occasional nuisance rather than a hugely significant problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Does anyone think Jaxybird just might be pulling a leg here and there? I have met some thick people in EMS but there is no way this cat is really as slow as he/she comes across. My 8 y/o kid does not spell that bad and has a much better command of grammar and punctuation. I think he/she may be a bit of a goat getter.

Egg

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
There can be nothing good coming out of this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.