Wish me Luck!!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I teach my first CPR course tomorrow (never taught before). It'll either be easy & fun or I'll end up scaring the crap out of them.

*crosses fingers and has a drink*

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Wingnut@Jan 13 2005, 02:21 PM
I teach my first CPR course tomorrow (never taught before). It'll either be easy & fun or I'll end up scaring the crap out of them.

*crosses fingers and has a drink*
Use my favorite line: "Think of it this way, you can't hurt the patient. They're already dead. And if they wake up in pain because you broke some ribs, hey, at least they woke up."

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
ROFL, I'll have to remember that!

Luno

OG
Premium Member
yeah, I like "if you break the ribs, it'll make CPR easier!" of course we all know, all you do is separate cartilage, but it will make them go after annie rescue with a whole new zeal!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
HAHAHAHAHAHA I love it!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Well I did it AND I rocked!!! I actually enjoyed teaching, I never thought that would be something I'd like. A few wierdos in there but everyone passed and all went well.

Rescuecpt, I actually used that line, some woman was scared about being too rough and your quote came to my head....she felt better after I told her...so THANKS!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Congrats!

I've never done CPR on a real person and I too worry about breaking a rib or two.

Good job!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I have, I did it pretty hard too and no breakage, of course I don't have a whole lot of strength behind me (working on that).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I used to teach CPR/AED when I lived in Indiana. I used something close to that a time or two. Kind of breaks (pun intended) the tension of the class too.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Wingnut@Jan 14 2005, 01:48 PM
Well I did it AND I rocked!!! I actually enjoyed teaching, I never thought that would be something I'd like. A few wierdos in there but everyone passed and all went well.

Rescuecpt, I actually used that line, some woman was scared about being too rough and your quote came to my head....she felt better after I told her...so THANKS!!!
He he... I told you it's my favorite line. As insensitive as it may sound, it really helps put it in perspective for some people.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MMiz@Jan 14 2005, 03:44 PM
Congrats!

I've never done CPR on a real person and I too worry about breaking a rib or two.

Good job!
Matt, no worries. Think of it this way, you can't hurt the patient. They're already dead. And if they wake up in pain because you broke some ribs, hey, at least they woke up.

HAHAHA

I've broken ribs, or cartelidge (sp?). Interesting sound and feel. Gross, but refer to above statement.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I have to recert my CPR in a few months. I hate going. I get yelled at for "improper technique"

I'm sorry... If I have proper placement, and proper depth with 1 hand, I am going to use 1 hand... d*mnit!

Sorry... I got a little off topic.

Congrats on the class wingnut!

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
If your doing it right with one hand what's the problem?? I think the 2 handed thing is for us average people who might not get proper depth with one hand...I know after my first time doing real CPR I couldn't move my arms for 2 days.

Thanks for the congrats!

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Congrats Wingnut!!!

I have been helping out with the instructing of the EMT B class for the local college and enjoy it. It is fun to help the students and fail the students. Well I guess it is more fun to see them pass your station as to fail it but you gotta do what you gotta do right?!

I to have done CPR on a handfull of people it is an interesting feeling to push down on an actual persons chest along with feeling the breakage of the cartelage (sp?). It is also fun to be the one to shove the Combitube in to the patient. that Is interesting and fun to.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LOL guys it's spelled Cartilage. And I agree, I did so much cpr on Annie, and Mannie (the dummy with man-boobs, don't ask) that it was really weird to do it on a real person, fortunately I adjusted quickly.

After I finish my degree I'll be assisting in teaching EMT-B's as well. It's a must if we have our AA's here. I'm looking forward to passing & failing students. There we're a couple in my class I would have LOVED to fail.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay don't know if I have mentioned this but I am in nursing school and now that we have gone back we have been doing oxygenation. We got to play with the combitube ET tube by the way anyone know if as a LPN your allowed to use these?? Anyways we also worked on trachs and breath sounds with our sim man. Any who, I ended up having to explain how to use the combi tube to my fellow class mates since I am the one who knew what I was talking about.

Does any one know exactly how the air goes through a combi tube? Is it when you use the blue tube it comes down through the end and if you use the clear one then it comes through the holes in the side?? This is what i am thinking.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Ok in FL, EMT-B's are allowed to use the combi tube, I learned that the first tube sends the air straight through it's own tube. If you get gastric sounds using it, the second tube has air holes throughout it's tube and sends it into the bronchioles. (that's why the 100cc ballon is inflated to block off the first tube). I can draw it better than I can explain it but that's hard to do here. The laws in your state determine whether or not oyu're allowed to intubate with them.

We just had a dinner party and I've had a few glasses of wine, so forgive me if I'm not making sense....then again I may be making more sense than usual.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Thanks wingnut that is what I was thinking and yes as an EMT I can use the combi tube and as an LPN I cannot intubate the patient with anything.

rescuecpt

This was my post on the BLS Advanced Airway (or something like that) thread:

The problem with drug administration through the Combi tube is that the majority of the time, the tube ends up in the esophagus. Air is forced into the trachea through the holes in the side of the tube. The cuffs above and below these holes force the air down the trachea. If you were to push drugs (liquid) this way, they will pool at the end of the tube, which is blocked distal to the air holes. Gravity and the force with which the drugs are pushed will win the fight and not spread the drugs through the holes. The small amount that does make it through will not make it deep into the lungs, where circulation occurs (which is already less effective than intravenous, hence the reason we give twice as much down the tube).

If it were me, and I couldn't get an IV line to push drugs through, I would remove the Combi tube and attempt to intubate so that I would have a patent route for drug administration. Worse comes to worse I dont get the tube - I put the Combi tube back in and pray that the patient makes it to the hospital.

Our protocols are 2 attempts on intubation, then the Combi tube as the last resort. This is before you ever start an IV (because B comes before C in ABC's)... and if you get the tube, you win a double prize - you secure the airway and a drug route at the same time. So it is more important (in my State's theory) to intubate than to start an IV (obviously we're talking about unconscious patients who are not breathing.)

Check this out for a diagram - Figure 4 shows you how the tube works when it's in the esophagus.
http://www.medradio.org/combitube/
Click on "Description & Direction" on the left side menu.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thankyou for the clarification, I didn't know that you could adminster meds that way. They emphasize aspiration with EMT-B so much that's the last thing I would think about.