Will NY recognize my PA cert?

mazeofzin

Forum Ride Along
So I'm going to be moving to NY from NJ next year, and am planning on joining a volley squad there while I'm in college. Currently, I have been operating in NJ with my Pennsylvania certification, as New Jersey will allow a Pennsylvania EMT to practice, we just can't give Narcan in our capacity as EMTs due to bad wording on a law. However, will NY recognize my cert? The instructions online aren't totally clear, and I'd rather not go through the reciprocity process since that involves quite a bit of paperwork and more testing. Obviously, if I have to I will. This is made worse by the fact that I only have an NREMT provisional, and since testing centers in Pennsylvania still aren't open its going to be a while before I can take my psychomotor exam (I took a state psychomotor, not an NREMT one).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'll make it easy for you... if you want to be an NYS EMT, fill out the paperwork. If you want to be a NJ EMT, where you can give narcan just like every other civilian, fill out the paperwork.

NJ allows some out of state providers to practice because of some archaic rules... most states require you to get their cert to practice. New York will not allow you to be an EMT unless you have an NY EMT cert.

Feel free to check out this page for more information:

BTW, IIRC, you can take a psychomotor exam for NREMT in any state, not just the one you are taking a class in. So you can take one in NJ, NYS, or CT.... or anywhere you can find that is running them. It all depends on if you are willing to put forth the effort.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
So I'm going to be moving to NY from NJ next year, and am planning on joining a volley squad there while I'm in college. Currently, I have been operating in NJ with my Pennsylvania certification, as New Jersey will allow a Pennsylvania EMT to practice, we just can't give Narcan in our capacity as EMTs due to bad wording on a law. However, will NY recognize my cert? The instructions online aren't totally clear, and I'd rather not go through the reciprocity process since that involves quite a bit of paperwork and more testing. Obviously, if I have to I will. This is made worse by the fact that I only have an NREMT provisional, and since testing centers in Pennsylvania still aren't open its going to be a while before I can take my psychomotor exam (I took a state psychomotor, not an NREMT one).

in PA, there is no “state psychomotor”. If you successfully completed a psychomotor test that was administered by a regional council, those results were reported to National Registry.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
New York will likely grant you reciprocity for a license in good standing from PA, but as @DrParasite said, you have to do the paperwork. It takes a couple of weeks, particularly because - at least when I had done it - NYS requires written paper documentation from the other state.

Definitely get your registry set up!

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
One other thing to mention, because it affected one of my college buddies: if you are granted reciprocity by NYS, they will grant you a card with an expiration date of your current card. So, if you start college in NYS in September, and your PA EMT card expires in December, they will only grant you a NYS EMT card with an expiration date in December. After that, you will need to complete all of the requirements to recert as a NYS EMT, as well as your PA EMT cert, because you can only be granted reciprocity once by New York State

don't know if things have changed in the past 20 years, but I figured I would give you the heads up on that

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
One other thing to mention, because it affected one of my college buddies: if you are granted reciprocity by NYS, they will grant you a card with an expiration date of your current card. So, if you start college in NYS in September, and your PA EMT card expires in December, they will only grant you a NYS EMT card with an expiration date in December. After that, you will need to complete all of the requirements to recert as a NYS EMT, as well as your PA EMT cert, because you can only be granted reciprocity once by New York State

don't know if things have changed in the past 20 years, but I figured I would give you the heads up on that
Completely true and a major pain! And NYS's recert process could potentially - if you are not agency affiliated - require you to attend a full refresher (you can test out of part of it).