Why use an OPA/NPA?

tsuna51

Forum Ride Along
I know that they are used for unconscious patients without a gag reflex, but it was never explained to me what the actual reason to use them is. They move the tongue and create a patent airway, but doesn't the head tilt-chin lift/jaw thrust do that also? My only guess is that it frees you of having to hold the airway open, is that the reason or is it something else?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
They do a better job than head tilt/chin lift. Quick note, an NPA can also be used when the patient has a gag reflex.

Head tilt/chin lift is done poorly by most of healthcare, encouraged by Resuce Annie who requires her head to be tilted to appx 45 degrees to work. Modified jaw thrust works better, but is painful for the patient and requires two people on airway if a BVM is being used. The best combo I've found is an NPA and a pillow under the head to ensure sniffing position, along with gentle ventilations.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
To attempt to maintain a patent airway, much like a jaw-thrust or headtilt/chinlift, but while freeing up a provider (or 2 if done correctly) without resorting to an advanced airway such as ET tube or King.

I much prefer NPAs as they can be used in patients with an intact gag without much worry. I've used more NPAs than OPAs.

thisismikedee

Forum Probie
I just put both in. In case the patient should suddenly regain a gag reflex I just pull the opa out and I don't have to worry about interrupting patient care to size and insert an NPA. BLS adjuncts are just as good as any ALS adjunct out there

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I . BLS adjuncts are just as good as any ALS adjunct out there
Not always. Someone who is good at airway management realizes that sometimes all that's needed is repositioning the patient's head, other times nothing but a scalpel will fix the problem. A one size fits all approach sets you up to fail.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
The OPA does in fact free up hands for the bagging. We had a resp arrest, and I needed both hands for the BMV but when his head wasn't tilted, there was a lot of resistance. We couldn't get the OPA in b/c of his clenched jaw, and the NPA for whatever reason did not cross our minds until much later, so I ended up having to use my knee to tilt his head while using my hands for the BMV (my partner was on IV/Meds).

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
The OPA does in fact free up hands for the bagging. We had a resp arrest, and I needed both hands for the BMV but when his head wasn't tilted, there was a lot of resistance. We couldn't get the OPA in b/c of his clenched jaw, and the NPA for whatever reason did not cross our minds until much later, so I ended up having to use my knee to tilt his head while using my hands for the BMV (my partner was on IV/Meds).

I was taught to just toss in both if possible.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
To you that are advocating using both at the same time, why? If you accept the fact that an NPA would work if/when you take the OPA out, why not just put the NPA in alone in the first place?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
To you that are advocating using both at the same time, why? If you accept the fact that an NPA would work if/when you take the OPA out, why not just put the NPA in alone in the first place?

To me its simply that using both gives you a bigger airway to deliver more tidal volume over less time. Using and NPA alone may still leave the tongue to obstruct the oral cavity when you toss in an OPA with the NPA it gives you two holes for the air to flow through. Only thing I can compare it to open cric vs needle cric

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
To me its simply that using both gives you a bigger airway to deliver more tidal volume over less time. Using and NPA alone may still leave the tongue to obstruct the oral cavity when you toss in an OPA with the NPA it gives you two holes for the air to flow through. Only thing I can compare it to open cric vs needle cric

An NPA terminates in the hypopharynx, the same place an OPA terminates. They are both designed to hold the tounge off the posterior hypopharynx. Neither one creates an opening the other doesn't.

Plus, big tidal volumes quickly is a surefire route to gastric insufaltion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
An NPA terminates in the hypopharynx, the same place an OPA terminates. They are both designed to hold the tounge off the posterior hypopharynx. Neither one creates an opening the other doesn't.

When I say that they creat a bigger hole I'm referring to the portion airway aterior to the pharynx, the OPA keeps the tongue out of the way creating a good open pathway through the Oral cavity, and the NPA keeps mucus or other things from creating resistance in the Nasal cavity.

Plus, big tidal volumes quickly is a surefire route to gastric insufaltion.

Well since we are talking about the most basic of airways you would get gastric distention, however I'm not talking about actually delivering more Tidal volume, but I guess the better way to say it is that it would help to keep a more compliant airway.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
When I say that they creat a bigger hole I'm referring to the portion airway aterior to the pharynx, the OPA keeps the tongue out of the way creating a good open pathway through the Oral cavity, and the NPA keeps mucus or other things from creating resistance in the Nasal cavity.
The area where your keeping the tongue out of the way is the same. The actual oral and nasal cavities you can see aren't the problem. It's the tongue falling back and closing off the portion of the airway superior to the trachea. See if you can find a diagram of where the tip of the airways actually terminate.

Well since we are talking about the most basic of airways you would get gastric distention, however I'm not talking about actually delivering more Tidal volume, but I guess the better way to say it is that it would help to keep a more compliant airway.
I think I get what your saying, but don't ever consign your self to gastric insuflation just because you don't have an advanced airway. With good, gentle technique it can be kept to a very small minimum.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Gastric insuflation smastic insuflation. They just get an NG/OG tube and be done with it. :p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
To me its simply that using both gives you a bigger airway to deliver more tidal volume over less time.

Son, that's one of those reasons why we joke that one of the differential diagnoses for the cause of pneumothorax is overzealous EMTs named Bubba.

There's not going to be that much effect. I think you should go read up on pulmonary compliance and what exactly effects it.

I think I get what your saying, but don't ever consign your self to gastric insuflation just because you don't have an advanced airway. With good, gentle technique it can be kept to a very small minimum.

Exactly. There is no good reason to be bagging faster than 10-12 breaths a minute in most adult patients. Any faster and you're risking negative outcome effects due to gastric insufflation, the effects on the cerebral vasculature, pulmonary barotrauma and even hypotension in a hypovolemic or otherwise shocky patient.