Why are most in EMS such jerks?

NotUrTypicalEMT

Forum Ride Along
Over the years I have realized that most of the people I have worked with are just pompous and judgemental. EMS has a subculture of its own. I feel if you dont fit in the "good ol boy" system, you get ousted and blackballed really quick.

I have Aspergers and have social difficulties. I feel most I worked with are quick to jidge if there are any "flaws".

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If I may, please take a look at the EMS Workforce for the 21st Century assessment prepared by NHTSA in 2008.

When the researchers looked at the EMS workforce (caveat: at that point in time), they found that it was younger, whiter, more male (excepting firefighting and law enforcement) than comparable healthcare and emergency response occupations (e.g. nursing, health aides, law enforcement, fire fighters). I'd also posit that it is likely a less educated workforce than, say, the nursing workforce.

The tendency towards a monoculture, if you'll pardon the botanical expression, likely results in less tolerance for difference. This being said, you should reach out to your supervisors if people are treating you disrespectfully.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
judge*

They probably just hear you misspelling words as you speak. We're better than that in EMS. ;)

People can be pompous jerks no matter where you work. EMS is no exception. And having aspergers doesn't help with the "fitting in". Don't get into a habit of using that as a fallback excuse to them, though. It doesn't help, trust me.*

*Aspie here, too. Well, HFA... damn DSM V

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Over the years I have realized that most of the people I have worked with are just pompous and judgemental. EMS has a subculture of its own. I feel if you dont fit in the "good ol boy" system, you get ousted and blackballed really quick.

I have Aspergers and have social difficulties. I feel most I worked with are quick to jidge if there are any "flaws".

A lot of people in healthcare are jerks. Especially the nurses in the ED. Some are just complete *****es and have a "I'm better than you" attitude.
Same with the fire service or LE, some are just *******s for no reason. I don't think it EMS community is any different.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I tend to agree with corpsman here. I think there are bad apples in every bushell, cookies in every batch, whatever saying floats your boat... It's just people, MAYBE just maybe, the people your in contact with are burned out? or burning out? However it's just people, some are just made/raised that way(not that its bad, or good) Just sayin'.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Because people don't like how blunt I am, not my fault.

On a more serious note, the only people I feel I have met that fit this are typically burnt out. Everyone has bad days and I can look past that, those are the times I usually ask my partner to tech for me when I am that person. However, my partners I usually work with are not at all like this. Maybe it's just because I have the flexibility to choose when and with who I work, but most people I have worked with are genuinely decent folks.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Let's take a moment to reflect on the idea of walking into a forum for EMS professionals and telling them that most are pompous and judgemental.

That's definitely not a way to get blackballed.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Let's take a moment to reflect on the idea of walking into a forum for EMS professionals and telling them that most are pompous and judgemental.

I was going to write pretty much the same exact thing.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Pompous and judgemental here... Oh, and arrogant. Don't forget arrogant. :rolleyes:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Be a Nurse! We are all nice, caring, humble, and accepting ;)

Not ER nurses as someone just pointed out. They're all a**holes! :p

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

So...you're judging a whole group of people as judgmental?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If I may, please take a look at the EMS Workforce for the 21st Century assessment prepared by NHTSA in 2008.

When the researchers looked at the EMS workforce (caveat: at that point in time), they found that it was younger, whiter, more male (excepting firefighting and law enforcement) than comparable healthcare and emergency response occupations (e.g. nursing, health aides, law enforcement, fire fighters). I'd also posit that it is likely a less educated workforce than, say, the nursing workforce.

The tendency towards a monoculture, if you'll pardon the botanical expression, likely results in less tolerance for difference. This being said, you should reach out to your supervisors if people are treating you disrespectfully.
harsh man... a fair analysis and solid theory though

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Very well put.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
More than half this forum will not get the reference sadly...

The other half will...even more sadly. :)