Who else started their career on a SLLLOOOW note?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Oh my gosh, I'm dying here... in the 100ish hours I've worked so far this week and last, I've turned the l/s on TWO TIMES (I work for a 911 service!)

Its almost comical at this point... if I'm in the south part of the county, the north part is blowing up the radio. If I go to the north part, the south part of the county is going crazy.

The oldie paramedics love me, they are getting full meals and naps during the day.

My luck is going to change at some point, eh? :ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Oh, it will change.

I seem to be a bit of a white cloud... but when the :censored:-magnet medic is working at the main station, we usually end up helping him out or covering him.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Hon if my start was any slower I'd be in reverse. Here it is 3 weeks after the end of paramedic school and I feel like pieces of my brain are leaking out of my head. The intense pace of school vs. the "white cloud" effect I seem to have is such a contrast. I will try and enjoy the quiet because as previous posters have said - it will change.

ArrogantFish

Forum Ride Along
I wish I could have started slowly. It seems that I can't go a single shift without getting something that an ALS unit should be responding to. Anyone want to trade?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I wish i started my career on a slow note i feel that if i wasn't moving so quickly to become someone that i am now...that i would have had a lot more time to enjoy my teenage years. i did a lot of moving around every time i would get trained in something it was off to something else for training. sometimes i swear that i still have more hours of training than i do field time.B)

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh my gosh, I'm dying here... in the 100ish hours I've worked so far this week and last, I've turned the l/s on TWO TIMES (I work for a 911 service!)

Its almost comical at this point... if I'm in the south part of the county, the north part is blowing up the radio. If I go to the north part, the south part of the county is going crazy.

The oldie paramedics love me, they are getting full meals and naps during the day.

Oh? I worked for a transport service for six months before I turned on the lights. Your career will be fine with out l/s every call.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I so hate driving l/s!!! People become even more eradic in their driving and the incessant wailing of the siren is enough to drive me nuts.
drive1.gif
Oh well, it is a necessary evil, I guess. Fortunately, most of the people we transport do not require an emergent transport. In fact, we rarely transport emergently. Now, if only we didn't have to respond that way.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
It is hard to start slower than I did.

I graduated and basicaly walked right into a full time job. But it was in a small town a full 2hr drive from home. We worked two 24hr shifts each week. Plus OT, but not more than 36hrs straight. I didn't do my first call of any sort for over three weeks. I thought I was going to lose my mind. However I had great partners to work with and 1 year 10 months 5 days later, (not that I was counting), I was able to transfer to my home town. The base where I was does about 20 calls per month. Here at home our base does close to 500 per month. My share works out to just the amount I like.

Your busy days and calls will come. Just be patient and enjoy the semi quiet time while you can.

PS Congrats on getting the the job.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
500 for a full-time rig? Around here, most full-time paid rigs do 800, 1000 or more. I think I'd loose my mind on that few calls. Around here, we do about 100 calls a month, so 1200 a year.

Not quiet, but not busy.

I've been working there for 4+ months and still haven't had to work a code or manually ventilate a patient... 2 DOA's and a acute MI wih CPAP is as close as I've come.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations

Life is a circle dear, and and some point in the future you will be absolutely kicking yourself for wishing you were busier. Now, for some perspective; at my full-time job here at the airport we have had something like 115 calls all year. That includes precautionary standbys for aircraft, MVC's, fuel spills, medical emergencies, etc. On the other hand, at my part-time job with a county EMS provider we normally run 35-50 calls a day with 5 units, and will normally have all the units simultaneously tied up on calls at least 2-3 times in a 24 hour period. I wish we were a little busier at the airport, but working a 24 at EMS will sometimes knock the stuffing out of you (especially when the daytime highs are averaging 100+). In the end, it all balances out, which is why I keep doing it.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Like i said My share is about what I like. Some days could be busier but we do long transports too so some calls take many hours.

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I didnt word that correctly... by turning l/s on 2 times, I meant that I'd done 2 calls total. Thats it...

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
I agree, when I am off doing event EMS, a few things that I have learnt:

1. Don't sneak off early for lunch, wait until everyone else has finished. It usually results in waiting for backup while everyone else is enjoying their lunch...

2. If some one asks how your day is going - don't mention that it could be a little busier...

3. Ignore the patron that says - "Hey, you are having a quiet day!"...

4. Never go to sleep if it is day shift...

5. Never, ever, ever under any circumstances announce that you are bored to your partner.

Enjoy the quiet time while it is on, learn to play poker and quiet time is a great time to go over some skills (thats what we do!).

To give you some persective, I attended an event the other week, one out (by myself) and was ran off my little feet with patients. It was a busy day. The boss decided that I needed help and came up for the next event at the same site, and all we had to do was wash mud from an eye. We are going to the same site this weekend on the same track that kept me busy the other week, so hopefully nothing will happen.

I went to an event yesterday, and heard about how at the previous events the medivac chopper had been out, they are thankful that ambulance services are just down the road, etc, and we got all up zero jobs (If you dont count the 3 year old male who told his mum that he had sore tummy so he could talk to the ambulance man - nothing wrong with the tummy and gorilla sticker / band aid thingy fixed the sore tummy for the kid anyway).

I prefer days that are quiet.