Which of these cities or counties have ALS fire apparatus?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm most interested in the cities since the're likely to have a EMS and fire run by the same or at least 2 different organization/companies (i.e. FD and a private or other EMS-only service). If any of the counties have a county-wide FD or county-wide EMS, I'd like to know.
This is for a research project that I am considering pursuing as an academic project.

*Alamogordo, NM
*Amarillo, TX
*Billings, MT
Colin Co., TX
Contra Costa Co., CA
*Durham, NC
El Paso Co., CO
*Evansville, IN
*Greenville, SC
Harrison Co., IN
Hillsborough Co., FL
Hunt Co., TX
*Jackson, MS
*Jamestown, ND
*Kansas City, MO
Kent Co., MI
*Louisville, KY
McMinn Co., TN
Mendocino Co., CA
Napa Co., CA
Oakland Co., MI
Riverside Co., CA
*San Antonio, TX
*Santa Barbara, CA
Sedgewick Co., MO
Sonoma Co., CA
*Springfield, MA
*Stafford, VA
Stanislaus Co., CA
Ventura Co, CA

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Riverside Co., CA

Whats up with the ones that are asterisked? Riverside County Fire Dept is all ALS. RivCo staffs engines, ambulances (only certain cities), and squads (only a few in the co.) ALS. Trucks, breathing support, hazmat may have medics on them they run BLS.

OP
OP
M

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry, I had meant to note that the asterisk'd places were of most interest as they are single cities likely to have only 1 or 2 services, whereas a county could have dozens of different FDs or private(or public) EMS' providing services to different areas, thus a large variation of staffing. If I pursue this, I'd probably have to nix counties that were not homogonized in so far as Fire 1st response and/or EMS/ambulance staffing.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As was already said for riverside county it's pretty much just CalFire as the fire engine (the majority are ALS with very few BLS) and AMR which is only ALS for 911 calls.

CALEMT

Going back to my original post, forgot to add somethings.
RivCo contracts with CalFire (state fire dept) you also have contract cities such as La Quinta, Indio, Palm Desert, Coachella and more. Theres only a handful of stations that run ambulances. Off the top of my head their in Palm Desert, Indio, and Rancho Mirage (67,69,33,71,55,88,86, and 80). I believe RivCo is currently taking applications. Just go to the county fire website to apply.

Mendocino Co., CA
Napa Co., CA
Riverside Co., CA
Sonoma Co., CA

The counties I've quoted above contract with CalFire. The others in CA do not contract with CalFire.

Last edited:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
El Paso County has its largest population center (by far) in Colorado Springs, which has ALS fire first response and AMR to transport.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
Hillsborough County and San Antonio are the only departments listed that I have personal experience with, both of which are ALS...

Hillsborough County however will transfer care to a private BLS company for transport if it's not an 'ALS patient.' San Antonio on the other hand handles all transports in their district.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm most interested in the cities since the're likely to have a EMS and fire run by the same or at least 2 different organization/companies (i.e. FD and a private or other EMS-only service). If any of the counties have a county-wide FD or county-wide EMS, I'd like to know.
This is for a research project that I am considering pursuing as an academic project.

*Durham, NC
BLS Fire with a very well respected third service ALS transport provider

El Paso Co., CO
AMR is both the city of Colorado Springs and El Paso County ALS ambulance contractor. Colorado Springs Fire has a paramedic on each of their 21 engines and usually on each of the six trucks and one heavy rescue. They also staff three transport capable ambulances, two of which have paramedics on board at all times. These rarely transport. All but a few of the non-CSFD fire departments/districts in the county with full time staff provide ALS transport in house. Volunteer districts use AMR, some have ALS first response. It is a massive county.

*San Antonio, TX
@STXmedic
*Santa Barbara, CA
AMR is the ALS transport contractor, I believe fire is all BLS.
*Springfield, MA
Fire is BLS, AMR is the ALS transport contractor.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Alamogordo, NM is all-AMR for ALS, with the exception of Holloman AFB. There are a few medics with the FD, and some of them may be on village ambulances, but they are BLS. The Fire Department there generally does not do medical.

Amarillo does have ALS Fire, but their EMS is through Amarillo Medical Services, which is staffed by AMR.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
In San Antonio, all 911 is ran by SAFD. EMS runs dual medics, and all Fire apparatus have ALS equipment (though not always a paramedic- there will be a paramedic on the fire apparatus about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time). 51 stations, 32 ambulances, and 7 peak ambulances.

Portions of Bexar county outside of the city limits utilizes Acadian as the 911 provider.

futurecop

Forum Ride Along
Evansville, IN staffs BLS engines only; they act as first response to all priority 1/immediately life-threatening calls within the city limits. AMR holds the EMS contract for the city and staffs strictly ALS ambulances.

If you care about the county (Vanderburgh), it's a little different. County fire is handled by 4 different volunteer fire departments (Perry Twp., German Twp., McCutchanville, Scott Twp.). They all run BLS engines (if that) and act as first response to all medical calls within their area of the county. AMR holds the contract for everything except Scott Township. Scott Township staffs their own ALS ambulances (with paid EMTs/Medics).

I can go into more detail if needed.

Generic

Forum Crew Member
Stanislaus Co., CA

The counties I've quoted above contract with CalFire. The others in CA do not contract with CalFire.

Stanislaus County does not contract with CAL FIRE.

You can look at many areas of California's San Joaquin Valley in central California. Since that area is generally poorer then then rest of the state, you mainly have BLS FD and ALS private ambulance companies with countywide contracts.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Mt. Pleasant, SC runs ALS engines and transport is by Charleston County EMS.

CALEMT

terrible one

Always wandering
Ventura County FD - some ALS engines / squads
Ventura City FD - all ALS engines
Oxnard City FD - all BLS engines
Santa Paula FD - all BLS engines
Fillmore FD - ALS engine or squad

Transport - AMR, Gold Coast, Lifeline (ALS)

Santa Barbara County FD - most ALS engines
Santa Barbara City FD - BLS engines
Lompoc FD - BLS engines
Santa Maria FD - BLS engines

Transport - AMR (ALS)

* Santa Maria / Lompoc may be intermediate life support