Which Degree?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm wrapping up my Associates and I want to launch into futher education without a hiatus.

I've already narrowed down my school's, but I'm having trouble deciding what education path I want to take. Ideally, I'd like to stay in EMS for the rest of my career. Unlikely I'll be in the field, I relish the idea of an education or clinical role, or running a mid-sized EMS agency. However, being realistic, I do want to not narrow my horizons too much.

So here are my options:
B.S. in Emergency Medical Service Management
B.S. in Healthcare Administration, concentration in EMS Management
B.A.S. in Emergency Management

I would likely follow up any of these with an MBA in Healthcare Administration.

The BS in EMS Management would be most interesting to me based on the classes offered. But I worry it would limit me if I ever wanted to branch out. My #2 is the Emergency Management degree which appeals to my interests more than my lowest choice, Healthcare Administration, which is a very appliable degree, but isn't as enjoyable to me.

I'm open to other strong suggestions, too.
Will any of these be significantly better than another, from a hiring perspective?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Ideally, I'd like to stay in EMS for the rest of my career. Unlikely I'll be in the field, I relish the idea of an education or clinical role, or running a mid-sized EMS agency. However, being realistic, I do want to not narrow my horizons too much.

I think that's the most significant part of your post. Whether you stay in EMS isn't just up to you; there are factors not totally within your control -- injuries, for example. Then you say you'd like to move into management, but you don't want to narrow your horizons. Based on all of that, I don't think you should restrict yourself to a healthcare-oriented degree. As a former EMS employer, I can tell you that your major is often less important than the degree itself. Think about what you might like to study, even if it has nothing to do with EMS. Just be willing to broaden your scope a bit.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Healthcare Administration is a versatile and fairly in-demand degree.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
+1 healthcare admin. Good leaders are needed and knowing more about the world outside the EMS silo is nice.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
B.S. in Healthcare Administration, concentration in EMS Management
gives you more flexibility and doesn't pigeonhole you into one area.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Maybe look into a bachelors in public admin or buissness admin? Those degrees can “groom” you for a management position within ems and In the event if you were to get injured you can still qualify for a management job out of ems with those degrees.