Where is the line?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Where is the line between being a good partner and being a good employee and a good steward for your system?

My current partner is a bad paramedic. Clinically, he's quite far behind the times with some very bad practices. He's lazy, not believing in bringing equipment to the patient. He wants to bls als calls. He forgoes appropriate treatments because he doesn't want to do the work(and potentially because he doesn't know what to do/how to do it). He has no capacity to talk to patients appropriately, often converting cooperative psychs into nightmares; patients willing to be transported into handcuffs and involuntary holds.

He's a bad employee. He doesn't wear his uniform, doesn't do his check outs, he doesn't replace used supplies. He spends all day doing side work(computer based work/phone calls) and treats every call as a personal insult to him. He never carries a radio, so I have to chase him around and we constantly have to go retrieve his computer and so forth after a call when we get sent to cover another station. When he does pack up his gear before we leave on a call, it causes a delay long enough to trigger an alert on our chute time.

He doesn't listen to a word I say. I have talked myself blue in the face trying to explain to him the policies and procedures for working in this system, which he ignores. Every discussion becomes an argument until I give up in frustration. I spend at least a broken up hour a shift defending him to the fire department because they know me well enough o bring me their complaints and I am trying not to sandbag him. I spend most of the day babysitting him, cleaning up his screw ups, bailing him out as much as I can and I'm simply tired of it.

So where is the line? How far down this rabbit hole do I go before I’ve done my part and I can join the other team? Keep in mind that for six months, I’ve been a good partner I’ve defended his bad performance and tried to improve it whenever I can, but he just wont listen. I love my job, I’m happy with my employer, I’m happy and comfortable with my system. I’m respected by my colleagues, my management, my medical director. I’m doing my job to the best of my abilities; but I’m at this time inseparable from this hack. I’m on the hook for every thing he does or doesn’t do because I’m not doing anything in an official capacity to separate myself. When is it fair to cut him loose and start documenting and reporting?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Preferably the moment there was a pattern, but in short: better late than never.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
^This. The real question I have is this: why is he still employed there? Surely you're not the only one with eyes.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
_________________________________ <---- there is the line.

Stop defending him to others, stop cleaning up his messes, don't bail him out, don't babysit him. The more that you do all of that the more he is going to continue with his current path.

If it's a clinical issue then bring it up to your education QA/QI department. If it's policy violations then bring that up to your supervisors. The odds are if you are having major issues with him it is likely others are as well or others will. Talk to your management so they can talk to him and give him a chance to correct his errors or get the training/remediation that he needs.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are constantly having out of chute delays, and missed treatments, I ask where is management and QA?

The employee needs to be dealt with.
Fired, no probably not. But reeducation is definitely needed.

It's easy to say on a forum "turn him in!" But in reality that can be very difficult.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
_________________________________ <---- there is the line.

Stop defending him to others, stop cleaning up his messes, don't bail him out, don't babysit him. The more that you do all of that the more he is going to continue with his current path.
To elaborate a bit more on @DesertMedic66's point here. Furthermore, this will only harbor an unnecessary stress, and resentment in your life; It should not. This isn't your problem to fix, it is your managements and partner's.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's easy to say on a forum "turn him in!" But in reality that can be very difficult.
Why difficult? I doubt management is unaware of a long term employees complacency. It sounds like he's done more than enough in attempts to help his partner.

I personally wouldn't care one bit what anyone thought of "turning my partner in" said about me. Then again, you know how I am:).

I also don't care one bit about being "the rat" when it involves community compromise. While this typically yields the "so and so is an a-shole" to the masses at work. You know what I say? So what.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Why difficult? I doubt management is unaware of a long term employees complacency. It sounds like he's done more than enough in attempts to help his partner.

I personally wouldn't care one bit what anyone thought of "turning my partner in" said about me. Then again, you know how I am:).

I also don't care one bit about being "the rat" when it involves community compromise. While this typically yields the "so and so is an a-shole" to the masses at work. You know what I say? So what.
I've in the past been met with both peer and management resistance regarding reporting fellow employees. Never anything bad from my peers, but there is always that fear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hometownmedic5

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
^This. The real question I have is this: why is he still employed there? Surely you're not the only one with eyes.

My employer isn't great at handling problems. Their go to maneuver is to move a problem from one place to another and buy some more time; hence how I ended up with this guy to begin with.

Stop defending him to others, stop cleaning up his messes, don't bail him out, don't babysit him.

The problem here is in many instances, if I don't bail him out(like chasing him down for calls), I'm just as screwed(perhaps more because at least I knew about the call and just sat there scratching my backside) than he is.

If you are constantly having out of chute delays, and missed treatments, I ask where is management and QA?

That's a complex answer. The chute timer stops when the call is acknowledged, not necessarily when the wheels are turning. There isn't really a system in place to log the incremental phases of a response. if our dispatch center wasn't so overwhelmed, perhaps we'd have to delineate between acknowledged and en route; but at this time we really don't.

This is essentially the crux of my problem. the best I can hope for is he gets reassigned. The worst case is I ruin my working environment and become a pariah. I'm wrestling with this heavily not because I don't want to hurt him, but myself.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_0296.JPG

I like being a piranha, it makes for a quiet, drama-free shift:). Oh wait, you said pariah? Meh, yields the same results.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have a lot of people here complain about other employees and equipment the issue is no one ever brings it up to management or writes stuff up. Management is not always aware of what is going on so someone has to inform them. We have a lot of employees who are afraid to report stuff to management for some known reason so I have a decent amount of people who ask if I can do it because I don't have any issues with hurting some feelings or calling out the fire department on various issues.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I don't have any issues with hurting some feelings or calling out the fire department on various issues.
Yes, I have done the same, and/ or have been "tasked" with such duties. The sad part about that is it will also inevitably wear on you.

Being a facilitator is also often extremely exhausting, and does nothing to solve the problem painted by the bigger picture. What it does do is earn you the respect of your peers, and the other agency's providers if, and when it is done tactfully and when timed right.

There's nothing like working with someone afraid to step on the LEA, or the fire departments that they're "in backgrounds with" toesies because they're afraid of mucking up their chances of being hired by their department.

The bottom line for me: I am here to do my job, if you're prohibiting me from doing said job I am not obligated to remedy your shortcomings.

I understand teamwork, and dynamics, but nowhere I've ever worked has outlined "babysitting" my partner to the brink of my own sanity a job descriptive duty.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Where is the line between being a good partner and being a good employee and a good steward for your system?

My current partner is a bad paramedic. Clinically, he's quite far behind the times with some very bad practices. He's lazy, not believing in bringing equipment to the patient. He wants to bls als calls. He forgoes appropriate treatments because he doesn't want to do the work(and potentially because he doesn't know what to do/how to do it). He has no capacity to talk to patients appropriately, often converting cooperative psychs into nightmares; patients willing to be transported into handcuffs and involuntary holds.

He's a bad employee. He doesn't wear his uniform, doesn't do his check outs, he doesn't replace used supplies. He spends all day doing side work(computer based work/phone calls) and treats every call as a personal insult to him. He never carries a radio, so I have to chase him around and we constantly have to go retrieve his computer and so forth after a call when we get sent to cover another station. When he does pack up his gear before we leave on a call, it causes a delay long enough to trigger an alert on our chute time.

He doesn't listen to a word I say. I have talked myself blue in the face trying to explain to him the policies and procedures for working in this system, which he ignores. Every discussion becomes an argument until I give up in frustration. I spend at least a broken up hour a shift defending him to the fire department because they know me well enough o bring me their complaints and I am trying not to sandbag him. I spend most of the day babysitting him, cleaning up his screw ups, bailing him out as much as I can and I'm simply tired of it.

So where is the line? How far down this rabbit hole do I go before I’ve done my part and I can join the other team? Keep in mind that for six months, I’ve been a good partner I’ve defended his bad performance and tried to improve it whenever I can, but he just wont listen. I love my job, I’m happy with my employer, I’m happy and comfortable with my system. I’m respected by my colleagues, my management, my medical director. I’m doing my job to the best of my abilities; but I’m at this time inseparable from this hack. I’m on the hook for every thing he does or doesn’t do because I’m not doing anything in an official capacity to separate myself. When is it fair to cut him loose and start documenting and reporting?
Now. You're enabling him.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I would follow the advice of others. Turn his *** in, at this point you would have a very strong case for patient safety. Remember your still partners with him, so if he BLS's an ALS call, your still tied(indirectly). In my opinion anybody who threatens my job, which is how i survive, and how my fiance survives, sorry pal I dont care who you are, but my loved ones are more important in my book. Nor is it right to have to babysit another professional. Short of literally having a babysitting job.... it is not my job to babysit you. Tell management what happened, (You talked to him tried to get him to change between you two) then xyz happened and now it got to this point. If you make some sort of a case for monetary loss by management, this will get resolved. Patient care will be effected, slower response times due to his lack of preparedness, ect ect ect. But as desert said here's the line:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Agreed, you need to say something to the admin. I'd also have a nicely documented list of your concerns, actions and interactions with other providers regarding his performanace.

If the senior staff is familiar with his issues, your report won't come as a surprise, but perhaps your through documentation might help to push them into action.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
As management, if you were my employee i would ask you why am i hearing this all now when youve worked with him for months? I have to say it is the most obnoxious thing about being in management. There is a problem, and instead of actually calling me and telling me about it, the staff would rather sit in proverbial **** for weeks until i take a road shift and ask "Why isnt this truck fueling right?" Inevitably i get "Oh its been like that for weeks" or my staff will have complaints but its usually some vague iteration of "this guy did something wrong some time ago but i dont know exactly when"

Dates, times, descriptions of events. I cant act without reliable reported information. SAY SOMETHING! Every day you enable him exposes the company to liability, and i have no time or need to add more liability than what is inherent to this job.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Until the hospital staff/medical director get involved because of care that they see as poor, this type of thing is pretty difficult. And for that to happen, things have to be pretty bad. If they don't see a problem, there is no problem, IME.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As management, if you were my employee i would ask you why am i hearing this all now when youve worked with him for months? I have to say it is the most obnoxious thing about being in management. There is a problem, and instead of actually calling me and telling me about it, the staff would rather sit in proverbial **** for weeks until i take a road shift and ask "Why isnt this truck fueling right?" Inevitably i get "Oh its been like that for weeks" or my staff will have complaints but its usually some vague iteration of "this guy did something wrong some time ago but i dont know exactly when"

Dates, times, descriptions of events. I cant act without reliable reported information. SAY SOMETHING! Every day you enable him exposes the company to liability, and i have no time or need to add more liability than what is inherent to this job.
But when management doesn't act and you get stuck with the problem employee who now thinks you dimed on him, that's not exactly something to look forward too.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
But when management doesn't act and you get stuck with the problem employee who now thinks you dimed on him, that's not exactly something to look forward too.
At least in this post, there seems to be a number of issues, and any competent manager would never reveal where these complaints came from. I certainly wouldn't tell this bad apple that "HometownMedic says you're a crappy provider". I could easily say after extensive chart review, observation on calls, and discussions with many of your service partners there are issues with the care and conduct exhibited. I would try my best to move this person, perhaps i would ride with him, and i would definitely protect Hometown until i could either dismiss, replace or remediate the offender

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
At least in this post, there seems to be a number of issues, and any competent manager would never reveal where these complaints came from. I certainly wouldn't tell this bad apple that "HometownMedic says you're a crappy provider". I could easily say after extensive chart review, observation on calls, and discussions with many of your service partners there are issues with the care and conduct exhibited. I would try my best to move this person, perhaps i would ride with him, and i would definitely protect Hometown until i could either dismiss, replace or remediate the offender
I get that, and that's what should happen. But that does not mean it's going to when you don't work for a great place and it's tough to say to someone "well go get another job," in this case, at least for me.