Where can i keep my skills sharp while i look for a job?

AmboRambo

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

recently certified and looking for volunteer opportunities like RockMed or similar in the bay area where I can put my skills to use.

Suggestions please!

Thanks

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I might just add that you're skills really do not degrade as quickly as you might think. It took me a year to get hired onto an ambulance and I had no problem getting right back into the thick of things.

Unfortunately I do not live in your area so I have no specific leads for you. I did ride with a local fire department near me when I felt like I was starting to forget things (I really wasn't), you might ask FDs in the area if they'll have you for a shift.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hi,

recently certified and looking for volunteer opportunities like RockMed or similar in the bay area where I can put my skills to use.

Suggestions please!

Thanks

Bay Area? San Fran bay? Bay city? James bay? Hudson Bay?
To answer your question, continuing education.

OP
OP
AmboRambo

AmboRambo

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Achilles, I'm in the SF Bay area - can you elaborate a little more on Continuing Education and maybe provide some examples?

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
if youre ALS, take a phlebotomy class, it will keep you IV skills pretty sharp if youve got the extra cash. Plus its a great way to network because usually they have nurses teaching them so thats an in at a hospital d:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Help teach a local EMT class (as a Teacher's Assistant)

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Practice taking vitals on friends and family.
have assessment flashcards and have friends choose a random one...they describe symptoms and u asess.