When do you guys wear masks

chickj0434

Forum Lieutenant
Obviously if they are coughing alot put a mask on them or yourself. But when else. Do you guys wear masks if your pt has the stomach flu or something like that

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
But just curious if you guysw wear one during those

You seem to have a taboo fear fetish with the stomach flu.

The answer to your question. No. If the pt has TB then yes.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I rarely wear masks... If they are coughing, I have them wear a mask. If it seems really bad or they are pulling down the mask to cough, I may put one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Are you going to be able to function with this phobia? Nearly everything you post is about contracting something. If you're that paranoid about catching something, you're going to have a very long career (or a very short one)

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Nearly everything you post is about contracting something.

Nearly everything in his posts points out that he either slept through his entire EMT class, or is lying about his credentials. I refuse to believe that anyone who made it through both the class and the NREMT, could be completely clueless about all but the most basic things.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't think he's lying and we all know it doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to complete an EMT program. I just think the OP is lacking life experience and doesn't have anyone else to ask.

Just one more reason that I believe EMT class should go lighter on the "you will save a life" rhetoric and more on the actual day to day operational aspect of being an EMT. How to excel in customer service. Patient movement that doesn't involve a backboard or KED. Driving an ambulance like a responsible professional. How to practice good grooming and proper hand hygiene.

But, that's wishful thinking. EMT classes continue to churn out 120 hour reaper racers... and they're driving me and my critical patient around and they have no idea how to get to the hospital, talk to a patient or wash their hands correctly.

Last edited:

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I don't think he's lying and we all know it doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to complete an EMT program. I just think the OP is lacking life experience and format have anyone else to ask.

Just one more reason that I believe EMT class should go lighter on the "you save a life" rhetoric and more on the actual day to day operational aspect of being an EMT. How to excel in customer service. Patient movement that doesn't involve a backboard or KED. Driving an ambulance like a responsible professional. How to practice good grooming and proper hand hygiene.

But, that's wishful thinking. EMT classes continue to churn out 120 hour reaper racers... and they're driving me and my critical patient around and they have no idea how to get to the hospital, talk to a patient or wash their hands correctly.

I'd like to point out that worrying about 'catching' gastroenteritis via airborne transmission, suggests that the EMT in question is either utterly incompetent, or simply an idiot. Even with the laughably limited information on pathophys in the Orange Book, there's an entire chapter dedicated to pathogens and everyone's being tested on it.

I've seen my share of incompetent manchildren with EMT badges, but I'm yet ready to give up on the entire industry. Call me naive if you'd like.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
If they're coughing up odd stuff, or febrile with same... especially with a recent history of travel. Not to grandma's for dinner, and not the usual "I'm 70, it's 5am, I smoke six packs a day and my lungs are half filled with ash" kind of cough. History of TB, working on bird farms in Saudi, ....

Or, of course, Halloween. That's when I wear a mask the most often.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Obviously if they are coughing alot put a mask on them or yourself. But when else. Do you guys wear masks if your pt has the stomach flu or something like that
Have you considered doing any research on infection control to feel more control over your "phobia?"

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Whenever you wear a mask, remember to cut large eye holes for safety and consider adding some high vis stripes so drivers can see you as you dart from house to house trick or treating.

Beyond that, there's enough good sources on best practices for infection control that are a google search away. Here are some key words to start with:
- Contact precautions
- Droplet precautions
- Airborne precautions

You're not going to gain anything from a mixture of personal practice and us busting your balls. Do some learning on your own and come back with detailed considered questions. The effort your getting in responses if reflective of the effort you've put in.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I keep 2 surgical masks and 2 N95s in my cargo pocket. They usually go on the patient, but I carry two, one for my partner and I, if I'd rather put it on me (for example the environment is nasty).

We have some nasty airborne stuff here...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I just always wear an SCBA mask with a P100 filter. makes things easier

dutemplar

Forum Captain
If anyone can find me an N-95 that looks like Vader's and has that electronic voice/breathing sound, that'd be cool. k?