When do you call for a lift assist?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As the title says, when do you call?

Our company has a policy where anyone over 300 lbs automatically gets a lift assist. Word is, if you get hurt lifting a 300 lb+ pt without asking for a lift assist, the company wont cover you, but I don't know about that.

I've easily lifted 400lb+ patients with a good partner, and it really is all about how you lift and who you're lifting with.

What I'm not great at is transitioning the pt from stretcher to bed, I always feel awkward having to lift/pull over the width of the bed. I've used lift assists for this part alone.

Again, I really believe it's all in the partner. But when do you call for a lift assist? Do you have a set weight? Certain conditions?

This isn't about seeing who is the most fit, hell, i'm not in good shape. But as someone who has called for lift assists several times, I'm wondering at what point you've done it.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
We didn't make that person "weight challenged. Why should we suffer for the rest of our lives w/ pain because four discs slipped while your lifting the guy?

If they can't wait, tell them that they can walk or sit back and wait. I have a back injury because of a 550lb man. Actually made our cot buckle, and crack the hydraulic shafts. Broke the black hook off the floor that the cot hooks to, and bent the locking mechanism that the cot latches onto.

NO PATIENT - is worth the pain. screw em. :angry:

emsunit37

Forum Probie
I usually call when I know that the officer's don't have anything better to do. But then again I am 5'9", 140lbs and if the pt is over double my weight then I'll call. :huh:

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
I call anytime they look heavy, or it is a difficult or long carry...my back has to last a long time and it's the only one I have.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We don't have a requirement of weight. Use commom sense. looks to heavy or even a bad situaton to move patient with possible harm to you or your partner & patient. We call the squad..

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

ECC

Forum Captain
Once upon a time... ;)

When I worked back east, we were called to the scene of an extraordinarily large individual who was suffering from Acute Pulmonary Edema (SHOCKING! :eek: ) He tipped the scales in excess of 850lbs (That was all the cargo scale @ the hospital went to).

We had to lift this poor man with a cargo net and 12 men. Thank God for Res2cue and L111!

The back of my rig sagged down so badly that she was almost riding on on the wheels! :eek:

emtbuff

Forum Captain
We don't have a set weight limit before we call. We are always instructed to call for lift assist if we are uncomfortable lifting the pt., if we have a long distance carry or a bad situation with a hard scene to get in and out of.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
No real policy... Most Priviate co's talk of sending one after 280-300lbs... more then once I've been told "see what you can do.... I don't have anyone..."

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Those damn weight challenged people... "Walk or call a taxi"

I just took two percocet because lifting one of them has my sciatic nerve squished. :(

:wacko:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 24 2005, 05:18 PM
Those damn weight challenged people... "Walk or call a taxi"

I just took two percocet because lifting one of them has my sciatic nerve squished. :(

:wacko:
My L2 - L4 discs are collapsed and my L-5 is fractured in 2 places, with 5mm - 9mm movement between the two pieces. :) Gotta love EMS!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
So I guess this I what I have to look foward to in my long, glorious EMS career?

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 24 2005, 06:25 PM
So I guess this I what I have to look foward to in my long, glorious EMS career?

Jon
Studies done by JEMS show that 1 in 3 people who work in or volunteer in Emergency Medical Services have or will have a back injury with in the first five years of starting.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 24 2005, 04:17 PM
No real policy... Most Priviate co's talk of sending one after 280-300lbs... more then once I've been told "see what you can do.... I don't have anyone..."

Jon
i get the same thing. "we dont have anyone available". i usually end up asking staff wherever im at to help. i feel bad doing it, but its what i gotta do. we have a dialysis pt we txp on monday, tuesday, thursday, and saturday. a good 450-500lbs. pt actually has 6kilos taken off on hemodialysis everyday. awesome. they dont even weigh her anymore.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Call the fire department...

If they won't come, pull the bed to a fire alarm (if in a care facility), pull it.. blame the patient. :p

FD Comes and helps you lift.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 25 2005, 04:04 PM
Call the fire department...

If they won't come, pull the bed to a fire alarm (if in a care facility), pull it.. blame the patient. :p

FD Comes and helps you lift.
I like!

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I dont think I've ever been on a call with a shortage of FF's or EMT's standing around. Like I just posted in the volunteer thread, we all have pagers- when the tones drop everyone and their uncle comes running. Usually the extra people are good about staying outside/in the rigs unless needed, but when they are they're just a radio away. I'm a smaller guy, so if the pt looks to be much more than 250 I know I'll need some help.

This thread just re-inforces the fact that I really really really need to join a gym! :p

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
our protocols state that each employee is required to lift 140lbs. anything over that(or even under if i dont want to do it) requires a l.a. so thats any pt over 280( i guess were not allowed to include the rack and any other equip

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by KEVD18@May 26 2005, 03:18 PM
our protocols state that each employee is required to lift 140lbs. anything over that(or even under if i dont want to do it) requires a l.a. so thats any pt over 280( i guess were not allowed to include the rack and any other equip
Yeah. I had to lift either 125 or 150, in front of a Chiropractor to get my first job. They try to make sure if you work for them you can lift.

I threw that back at a dyspatcher once, though. My strecher weighs close to 100 lbs, so I told a dyspatcher we REALLY did need a lift assist for a 275lb woman (who was probably closer to 400lbs, but the HOSPITAL SAID...).

Jon