whats in your pockets?

ks_medic

Forum Ride Along
just wondering what equipment you guys carry on you.
all i carry is : 1 trauma shear, 1 bandage scissor, pen, penlight, 1 als book, 1 protocol book, stethoscope, tape, 2 4x4, 1 pair extra gloves, and emisis bag and then on my belt cell phone, flashlight, and pager.

i know some that carry iv start supplies on them.

so what in your pockets?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by ks_medic@Dec 21 2004, 11:34 PM
so what in your pockets?
In my EMS jump suit, I carry just about everything I can.

Trauma shears, 2 hemostats, reversible tip screwdriver, door wedge, pen light, window punch, 6 pair gloves, 2 tourniquets, Ambu pocket mask, bite stick, hard candy, notebook, ALS flip book, short forms (for ALS intercept and MCI), trauma bands, triage tags, 1" Transpore tape, 2" tape, Gerber multi-tool, 2 chem lights, stethoscope, 3 pens, folding knife, 6" crescent wrench, 3 4x4's, allen wrenches (crash bar sized), and a flashlight.

I know, I know. This is a newbie thing. Well, I'm not a newbie, and everything I carry I have used more than once, especially the tools. It adds about 5-6 pounds to my coveralls, but I feel that it is worth it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Oh yeah, welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy our disfunctional family here.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Medics in my area are required to carry all the things KS mentioned, plus IV starts.

OP
OP
K

ks_medic

Forum Ride Along
Trauma shears, 2 hemostats, reversible tip screwdriver, door wedge, pen light, window punch, 6 pair gloves, 2 tourniquets, Ambu pocket mask, bite stick, hard candy, notebook, ALS flip book, short forms (for ALS intercept and MCI), trauma bands, triage tags, 1" Transpore tape, 2" tape, Gerber multi-tool, 2 chem lights, stethoscope, 3 pens, folding knife, 6" crescent wrench, 3 4x4's, allen wrenches (crash bar sized), and a flashlight.

wow thats a heavy load ffemt. does it ever get combersome or do you ever have
trouble finding what you need?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Nope...everything goes in a designated pocket, and I've had it that way long enough that I automatically reach for what I need.

We're extremely rural where I'm at, and we see an unusually large amount of serous trauma (MVC's) where I'm the one usually inside of the vehicle with the patient as extrication is being performed. I've found it's better to carry as much with me as I can, rather than ask for something to be handed in to me since we have to stop extrication to do so.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I typically carry (on and off duty) 2-3 pairs of gloves on me, and my backpack has a small CPR mask. When I'm on duty, I've got shears and a flashlight (Big rechargable) and usually a minimag or a penlight for pupils. I always have an o2 wrench (Nice, big, METAL one - plastic ones suck) because it's on my keyring. I also have BOTH types of restraint keys (worked WAYYY too long doing night Psych transfers in the big city) and a cobination centerpunch / seatbelt cutter thingie on my keychain.

other than that, not much....

Jon

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
I always find something new to need. I have about 10 pockets and each one has a pair of gloves. Shears go into my belt and my pens clip on my neclace. The collection is growing though, I've only been running a few months!!

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Okay now I feel like a dunce. We don't wear EMS pants, we just wear plain navy pants with regular pockets.

Right now I am at work and I'll pull it all out!

2 pens, 1 chapstick, pocket knife, drug box key, small wallet, business card (to write on or give away).

On my belt - cell phone, radio clip

We run plenty of calls, I just don't have the urge to carry anything on me. Maybe I am just tired!

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Margaritaville@Dec 22 2004, 09:40 PM
Okay now I feel like a dunce. We don't wear EMS pants, we just wear plain navy pants with regular pockets.

Right now I am at work and I'll pull it all out!

2 pens, 1 chapstick, pocket knife, drug box key, small wallet, business card (to write on or give away).

On my belt - cell phone, radio clip

We run plenty of calls, I just don't have the urge to carry anything on me. Maybe I am just tired!
If you're always responding with a rig you don't necessarily need anything on you - a lot of times I don't really carry anything except: pen, shears, keys, steth, protocols, als field guide.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
rescuecapt,

Your right, I almost always have a rig. But, we are combination here and if I am on the engine we have a basic bag and AED in the back compartment. I am fortunate, if I am engineer or interior, I won't be doing patient care.

Different story when I take a volunteer call. I can either pick up the ambulance or meet it on scene - depending on where it is. If I take a call from home - cpr mask on key ring, I keep a set of gloves in each glove box, always a cell phone (has a clock on it in case I forgot my watch).

I don't carry much, but back when I started there wasn't much to carry anyway - and if you needed something you adjusted.

I had to laugh while I was writing last nights post. The EMT sitting next to me said "look at all my stuff". She proceeded to lay it out and covered a counter. I swear, I always thought I could load a purse down, but she had me beat. When she off -loaded that mess she lost 10 pounds. LOL

Hey, whatever it takes to do the job - I'm all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone and be safe!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@Dec 23 2004, 11:22 AM
rescuecapt,

Your right, I almost always have a rig. But, we are combination here and if I am on the engine we have a basic bag and AED in the back compartment. I am fortunate, if I am engineer or interior, I won't be doing patient care.

Different story when I take a volunteer call. I can either pick up the ambulance or meet it on scene - depending on where it is. If I take a call from home - cpr mask on key ring, I keep a set of gloves in each glove box, always a cell phone (has a clock on it in case I forgot my watch).

I don't carry much, but back when I started there wasn't much to carry anyway - and if you needed something you adjusted.

I had to laugh while I was writing last nights post. The EMT sitting next to me said "look at all my stuff". She proceeded to lay it out and covered a counter. I swear, I always thought I could load a purse down, but she had me beat. When she off -loaded that mess she lost 10 pounds. LOL

Hey, whatever it takes to do the job - I'm all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone and be safe!
Yeah - only reason I carry that much stuff is I used to take the train to work/school everyday, and that way if I come across something, I have enough stuff with me to actually DO something - plus, most of it is in my backpack.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
On duty, I carry my scope, Trauma shears, Bandage Shears (on steroids), ALS Field Guide, 2-3 pairs of gloves, wallet, watch (that reminds me... gotta get a new one), and I recently added tissues for cold/ flu season.

Off dutys another story. between what I carry and what I have in my car, all I really need is a litter and I can Transport at a BLS level.

I know that I am a whacker, but I can hold my ground.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I carry the following:

Shirt Pocket:
- Two Pens
- Penlight

Pants Pocket:
- BLS Quick Guide
- Michigan's Protocol Guide
- Many extra pens
- Copy of nursing home addresses and fuel locations (for GPS navigation unit)

Pants Loops:
- Small 02 wrench
- Trauma Shears

On Belt:
- Pager
- Glove pouch (I was the guy that always forgot gloves)
- Mini Maglight if working nights

Sometimes I'll carry a leatherman all-tool, but I've yet to use it on the job.

Word is the newer you are, the more you carry. I find this to usually be true :D

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Dec 24 2004, 09:43 AM
Word is the newer you are, the more you carry. I find this to usually be true :D
Hey, I take issue with that :lol:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978+Dec 24 2004, 11:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ Dec 24 2004, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Dec 24 2004, 09:43 AM
Hey, I take issue with that :lol: [/b][/quote]
LOL!

I also think it's a bit different depending on what type of service you are and what type of uniform you wear. Working in Private EMS on the BLS level, I've never urgently needed to grab for anything besides a pen. It always seems that when I'm workiing a code and need a pen I can't find one, but that's a different story :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Dec 23 2004, 08:33 PM
On duty, I carry my scope, Trauma shears, Bandage Shears (on steroids), ALS Field Guide, 2-3 pairs of gloves, wallet, watch (that reminds me... gotta get a new one), and I recently added tissues for cold/ flu season.

Off dutys another story. between what I carry and what I have in my car, all I really need is a litter and I can Transport at a BLS level.

I know that I am a whacker, but I can hold my ground.
You sure that with a litter you can only transport on a BLS level???????

Yeah, and next thing you know, you will have your own, personal, state recognized, QRS unit.....

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz+Dec 24 2004, 11:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MMiz @ Dec 24 2004, 11:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Dec 24 2004, 11:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-MMiz
@Dec 24 2004, 09:43 AM
Word is the newer you are, the more you carry.  I find this to usually be true  :D

Hey, I take issue with that :lol:
LOL!

I also think it's a bit different depending on what type of service you are and what type of uniform you wear. Working in Private EMS on the BLS level, I've never urgently needed to grab for anything besides a pen. It always seems that when I'm workiing a code and need a pen I can't find one, but that's a different story :lol: [/b][/quote]
I always carry gloves and shears, because BSI - Booger Stuff Isolation is a good idea, and I once got locked into a SNF when I tried to take a wanderguarded Pt. out for S.O.B. Now, part of my second primary survey is wanderguard in addition to Medical alert braclets. I always cut the wanderguard off and leave it where I found the patient. that way i don't set off lots of alarms.

Jon

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Dec 25 2004, 10:16 AM
Yeah, and next thing you know, you will have your own, personal, state recognized, QRS unit.....
Aren't you the one who gave me the idea???

rescuecpt

I was inches away from convincing my chiefs that I, as the rescue captain, needed a Lifepack 12 in my POV so that I could be an ALS first responder (rather than BLS)... but when they learned how much more expensive it is than a BLS AED, they started stuttering and stammering about how fast our response time is....