What to expect, first day on the job

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
Starting to apply for an emt job and I am looking for any advice. Obviously there will be things that I will only be able to pick up from hands on experience but small pointers or anything at all would be great! Thanks!

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
So you don't have the job yet? Sorry, just a bit confused by your title and post.
What kind of job? 911, IFT, or both? What area?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Watch, listen, learn. Don't initiate conversation about what you know or what you've done. Give coworkers a chance to know you by your actions, not your words. Do the messy, little things no one else wants to do. Success will be more about not screwing up than doing anything heroic.

OP
OP
MMohler

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
So you don't have the job yet? Sorry, just a bit confused by your title and post.
What kind of job? 911, IFT, or both? What area?

No, no job yet just wanted to get a head start/ edge on what to expect and how to act. I am not implying that I do not know my manners because I do and understand that I will be the "rookie". Just trying to gather as much insight as possible :)

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Be polite.

Let others initiate conversations, and take your cues from them for the first few weeks.

Hop in to lend a hand at anything you can, especially cleaning/inventory.

Learn your protocols/SOPs/SOGs in and out.

Don't show up to work with a thousand pieces of personal gear.

Bring coffee/donuts your first day. Even if no one eats them, they will appreciate the gesture.

By your first day, you will be certified/licensed. Put away the EMT student books, and pull out the books to start learning something more advanced that will help you in your career.

Don't waste your station time watching tv. Learn a new skill, do inventory, clean the rig, practice a technique, workout...be productive with your day. You will easily advance in your career if you do this. It's better to be the person everyone asks for advice, than to be the person that asks everyone else for advice.

Be genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MMohler

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
Awesome stuff! Thanks for all of the pointers will do! Definitely starting to get an idea of how to be. I can't wait!