What should I have done?

tylerchill

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

This is minor but I just witnessed a car crash here in the Bronx. A man in a Honda turned left in front of a woman driving southbound on Riverdale Avenue. She tried to switch lanes but there was another car so she hit the brakes. The guy turning left actually slowed down turning into the street. He made it worse. She hit him but at such a slow speed there was just fender damage.

She had three children in the back, two in car seats and the older one in seat belts.

I banged on her window so I could see the kids and they were fine except the oldest who was upset but unharmed.

She just sat there. So I called 911 and they said they will send a cop.

I told the woman I called 911 and she seemed upset about sending a cop. Cops have really distorted accident reports in the past depending on who's involved so I can understand that.

As a civilian what is the protocol when you witness a crash? I would have gladly stayed on the scene but I didn't after calling 911.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
There is no protocol. You did exactly what you should have according to common sense.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You did more than most people do OP, so good on you.

Also, good job not calling as a "passer by" with "third hand information" who is now nowhere near the scene of the accident. It's always good to know there are still plenty of decent, and logical laypersons:).