1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the worst rookie mistake you've seen

Discussion in 'BLS Discussion' started by MWN1998, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MWN1998

MWN1998 Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    Curiosity here. What is the craziest, or dumbest rookie mistake you've either made or seen? And how did it affect the career of the person who made it, or the patient for that matter?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. mgr22

mgr22 Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Dumbest rookie mistake? Thinking I knew more than I did.

How did it affect my career? Not much long term, but short term, probably convinced some of my partners that new medics should have longer internships.

3. rujero

rujero Forum Crew Member Premium Member

Education:
    EMT
    I had just come off 3rd riding. On a transfer to Mass General one day I was pulling the stretcher out of the truck... the wheels were brought down but I held the trigger and the stretcher collapsed to the ground with the pt on it once the back wheels rolled off. It was right in front of a bunch of Boston EMS crews and of course everyone noticed and stared. I have never been so embarrassed in my life but my partner kept her cool. The patient ended up being no worse for wear luckily, and my partner talked me down in the truck after which helped me slow my brain down so I never made that mistake again. The pt never made a complaint to the home office luckily for me.

Bet your A$$ my partner had me practicing with just the weight of the gear bags and O2 before we left the MGH garage though hahaha.

-r

4. Peak

Peak ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

Every new hire (these were not new Firefighters/EMTs, just new to a department who ran a bus) who took the stretcher out in the bay to mop the back of the bus, we drop a call, they close the doors and we pull up to scene and magically discover that we don't have a cot.

I don't get it. Nobody ever forgot to back a hosebed or put the saws back after they were playing... uh I mean cleaning... them. But the stretcher that I need to put the dead person in the bus to drive to the hospital. We apparently didn't need that.

5. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    Also guilty of this

VentMonkey likes this.
  6. Never2Old

Never2Old Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    My first day rookie mistake ... trying to take a dump while on duty ... pinch and go! I suffered greatly that day.

twistedMP likes this.
  7. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Jefíto Premium Member

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Quoted for emphasis, and I’m also guilty of this. Also, humility will carry improvement on its shoulders your entire career, remember that.

NomadicMedic likes this.
  8. rescue1

rescue1 Forum Captain

Ditto on the thinking I knew more than I did stuff.

I did once watch a new EMT place a nasal cannula into a patient's eyes once though.

9. Tigger

Tigger Dodges Pucks Community Leader

Education:
    Paramedic
    Sits in the recliner.

Gurby and NomadicMedic like this.
  10. Jim37F

Jim37F Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    on my first day of FTO training to be a single role ambulance operator EMT at a fire department, I made the cardinal sin of walking around with a cup of coffee in hand...

11. mgr22

mgr22 Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Was the EMT trying to flush the eyes?

12. rujero

rujero Forum Crew Member Premium Member

Education:
    EMT
    Yeah that was my initial thought too. But I am guessing not in this case haha.

13. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    I’d never make it. I always have a cup of coffee with me.

VentMonkey likes this.
  14. rescue1

rescue1 Forum Captain

Alas, he was not.

15. Lo2w

Lo2w Forum Lieutenant

Education:
    EMT
    ...got turned around and took the scenic route for an MI to the hospital.

Lalaleche and Gurby like this.
  16. Jim37F

Jim37F Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Oh no, the sin wasn't drinking their coffee, it was merely having a cup of coffee in hand...you see even though I was a single role EMT and not a FF, I was still expected to behave like a probationary FF and I hadn't earned that luxury of being able to have a cup of coffee in hand inside station yet....

NomadicMedic likes this.
  17. Gurby

Gurby Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    I definitely got on the highway going southbound instead of northbound once with an emergency :eek:

Lo2w likes this.
  18. Lo2w

Lo2w Forum Lieutenant

Education:
    EMT
    I mean my medic gave me a wrong turn at one point in the cluster but yeah I screwed up.

Gurby likes this.
  19. Tigger

Tigger Dodges Pucks Community Leader

Education:
    Paramedic
    Wut. It be a problem if you weren't drinking coffee here I think. Need some caffeine to get through the new person process. Jesus.

20. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Jefíto Premium Member

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    05296B2B-EAE7-4265-8117-F8CDAE0CCC39.jpeg

Aprz likes this.