What is the Best Way To...

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
1) Get involved in EMS Policy making at a national or state level?

I'm seriously considering trying to get involved in policy making at the state, and then possibly, the national level. As of now, I'm in college to finish my BSN degree, after which I'll obviously be taking my NCLEX to become an RN. After I finish with that, or possibly even before, I'll be enrolling in paramedic school, and then most likely be going to respiratory therapist school.

After I get done with all of that, I think it would be interesting to get involved with EMS policy or curriculum making at the state or national level, like I mentioned. After I found this site, I quickly got bitten by the "knowledge and education bug," and I think it's important that the bug gets passed on and implemented in the future. I know that many are trying to do this, but I know that it will be something that will continue in the future.

Does anybody have any suggestions that could lead me on the right track?

2) Pass on the importance of education?

I TA for an EMT-B class, and I know that I can say "advance yourself!" and "look this up when you get home!" until I'm blue in the face, but that may or may not do anything at all. What are some techniques that have worked for you to help you pass on your interest in learning or that have helped show the importance of learning? I realize this may be a vague or (ironically) stupid question, but I just thought I'd put it out there!

Thanks all!
medichopeful

94H

Forum Lieutenant
I dont know how it works out where you are, but try to get on with whatever your regional EMS body is. They usually have someone who works (at least part time) on policy at the state level.

I dont think there is much that goes on EMS-wise at the national policy level

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
1) Get involved in EMS Policy making at a national or state level?

I've been asking myself the same question a lot lately, and come to an answer of my own...

You have, or will soon have a very strong clinical background, but now you need policy experience. You really need to get a background in general health policy and economics. I'm taking a different approach ideally to the same goal-- and pursuing an undergraduate major in Health Policy with a side of Sociology. I'm applying to MPH and MPP programs now, and will see where that takes me.

I argue that EMS policymakers need to understand the entire health system-- to understand where we fall into the big picture.

Although not all 911, EMS has close interaction with ESRD patients, inter and intra-facility transports, PICU, NICU, etc.

EMS interventions have tremendous impact on hospital/facility nosocromial infections, ER surges capacity design, technology overuse (Helicopter EMS), ED overcrowding (transport v treat and release v clinic referral), medication and therapy non-compliance, etc.

Long story short, I think both a clinical and general policy background are essential to EMS policy progression. I urge you to take some health policy classes, or investigate nearby MPH programs.

Good Luck! Let us know what you choose.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I've been asking myself the same question a lot lately, and come to an answer of my own...

You have, or will soon have a very strong clinical background, but now you need policy experience. You really need to get a background in general health policy and economics. I'm taking a different approach ideally to the same goal-- and pursuing an undergraduate major in Health Policy with a side of Sociology. I'm applying to MPH and MPP programs now, and will see where that takes me.

I argue that EMS policymakers need to understand the entire health system-- to understand where we fall into the big picture.

Although not all 911, EMS has close interaction with ESRD patients, inter and intra-facility transports, PICU, NICU, etc.

EMS interventions have tremendous impact on hospital/facility nosocromial infections, ER surges capacity design, technology overuse (Helicopter EMS), ED overcrowding (transport v treat and release v clinic referral), medication and therapy non-compliance, etc.

Long story short, I think both a clinical and general policy background are essential to EMS policy progression. I urge you to take some health policy classes, or investigate nearby MPH programs.

Good Luck! Let us know what you choose.

I definitely see where you're coming from Dan, and I agree that it's vitally important for anybody involved to have an understanding of the big picture, like you said.

As of now, my school doesn't offer many (if any) public health classes. I'll have to take a look at the course booklet, and see what there is that would be useful.

I've taken 2 sociology courses, and I'll be taking a 3rd next semester. I'll look and see if there are any others that would be useful. I'll also take a look at an economy class like you suggested.

I'm going to be running for the deputy chief position for my college EMS Club this semester, so I might be able to get some experience with policy making then (if I get elected. I'm definitely not the most popular member of the club!).

I dont know how it works out where you are, but try to get on with whatever your regional EMS body is. They usually have someone who works (at least part time) on policy at the state level.

I dont think there is much that goes on EMS-wise at the national policy level

As far as I understand, there most definitely is EMS at the national level.

I do like what you said about getting involved in the regional level. I'll try to take a look and see what there is around here.

Keep the suggestions coming!

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Does your school do internships at all?

I'm currently interning with one of the EMS agencies in my area. I am working on policy formation and research. It has opened my eyes to alot of what is going on in EMS. As an added bonus the directors take me to all the management level meetings in our region as well as meetings they have with city officials.

It was a pain to get approved, but I finally found a poli-sci professor who would sponsor it for me. It is definitely worth it, they love having me and I love going in.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Thanks for all the responses!

Once I finish nursing school, I'm going to most likely go to grad school and then get either an MPH or an MPA, depending on where I am in my life. Either at the same time or afterwards, I'll do paramedic school. After all that, I'll go for to RT school and then finally at the end maybe CCT-P and I/C (I'd LOVE to teach a paramedic course).

Thought?