What is the best multitool knife to get?

Lilly B

Forum Ride Along
Currently am using a Leatherman Charge TTI, but I want something better

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have a Leatherman (not sure which one) that I have used maybe 3 times in the 6 years I have had it. Never really had a major need

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Currently am using a Leatherman Charge TTI, but I want something better
What do you mean by "better"? What do you want this new multitool to do that your current one does not? Answer that, and then find one that meets those requirements.

I've accumulated several Leatherman and Gerber multitools over the years and they've all been good tools. People give them to me as gifts every few years so I have about 4 of them, I think. I guess I just seem like a guy who would like multitools, or they are just a good gift to get the guy who already has everything? I keep one in the center console of my truck, and I keep one in my pack when I'm hiking or riding my dirt bike. I think I have one in the large tool box in my garage, as well. They are definitely good to have around when you can't carry a whole tool kit with you, but to be honest mine don't get used much. Can't think of a time when I ever needed one in EMS.

If you are new to EMS, I'd caution against getting into the mindset of needing all the best things and spending any significant portion of your paycheck on things like multitools, fancy scissors, whiz-bang stethoscopes, and other fancy bat-belt paraphernalia. If you can resist the urge for a while, you'll see before too long that you didn't need that stuff and you'll be glad you saved your money.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Heck only things that have been helpful to me over the years is a decent, cheap pair of sunglasses that you don’t mind breaking or losing and a decent stethoscope.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
The only times I ever used the folding knife that every new EMT feels the urge to buy was to open boxes in the supply closet.

If I needed to use pliers or a screwdriver, I was either at the station with a real toolkit, or I was calling for the fire department.

If you absolutely must spend money on EMS gadgets, I'd get the Leatherman heavy duty shears (I forget the name) or a decent stethoscope. Still probably a waste of money though.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Things I buy and have used repeatedly in over 20+ years as a Paramedic.

Stethoscope (be prepared to lose or have stolen)
Shears (go cheap, buy in bulk, will lose or have stolen)
A high powered mini-mag (very helpful during winter when it gets dark early)
A head lamp (same reason as above and helps you be hands free on MVCs or other outdoor calls in the dark)
*If you see me wearing the headlamp and you are my partner on scene, be prepared to be blinded when I forget I have it on and I look at you when you speak.

Having said all that, I often forget my steth and shears and I use whatever is provided. The mini-mag comes in handy when I remember it. The head lamp I have not used much in the past few years.

I have never used a knife or a multi-tool on the job. I have never used a seat belt cutter. I am sure I can add more to this list of things I have never used that other people seem to think they need to have and carry.

Just because I have not used it does not mean you will not find a use for it. I think a lot of gadgets are like any tool...if you buy it, you will find a reason to use it. If you never have it, you will find ways to survive...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I stopped carrying my wave a few years ago. All I really used it for was to open O2 cylinders. Now I have raptors and got rid of my other shears.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Weigh them all and buy the lightest, cheapest model you can find. You aren’t going to use it much at all, so its better if it isnt heavy because thats just adding insult to injury.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Things I buy and have used repeatedly in over 20+ years as a Paramedic.

Stethoscope (be prepared to lose or have stolen)
Shears (go cheap, buy in bulk, will lose or have stolen)
A high powered mini-mag (very helpful during winter when it gets dark early)
A head lamp (same reason as above and helps you be hands free on MVCs or other outdoor calls in the dark)
*If you see me wearing the headlamp and you are my partner on scene, be prepared to be blinded when I forget I have it on and I look at you when you speak.
I've got about as much time in, and I agree (except for the head lamp, those are dorky and I would never wear one).

I have bought several multi tools, usually cheap ones, and never used them. I have a small flashlight hanging from my radio strap, and more flashlights than I know what to do with (although I have upgraded from maglights to defiant flashlights from home depot), often in my car, my bag, at home, etc. and I have a metal oxygen wrench that will last forever, provided it doesn't get lost.

Some people love them, and spend soooo much $$$ on them. I'm not one of them, and I love my gadgets, but a multitool was never used, when when I did carry it.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've used a headlamp more often than a handheld flashlight.

I personally found most night scenes requiring a flashlight were traffic collisions out on the street, just wrapped the headlamp around my helmet.

But I had took to keeping it in my jacket pocket to help navigate those dark adz backyards and whatnot trying to pick your way thru with the gurney... I'd just wear it around my neck and let it hang usually, not goofy like on your forehead, and your not blinding everyone whenever you look at 'em.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well gents...working in the Arctic, everyone had headlamps seeing as how you wanted to minimize exposure as much as possible and keeping both hands free to expedite that...especially in a place where the sun "rose" around 1100, crested and set by 1500...everyone had headlamps. :)

Now that I am in rural Northern Maine...I see headlamp benefits yet again. :) And..I am a dork, always have been.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We've got headlamps in every ambulance and I keep one in my radio harness. Pretty useful in our environment.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
So, not related to EMS when the search started, but I ended up here.

Leathermans' TSA approved... https://www.leatherman.com/tsa

Uh, do any other you have any experience carrying these on planes today? I wasn't considering buying it myself, but is the "CAM" truly TSA compliant? Also, tangentially related, but those watches are amazing, aren't they?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So, not related to EMS when the search started, but I ended up here.

Leathermans' TSA approved... https://www.leatherman.com/tsa

Uh, do any other you have any experience carrying these on planes today? I wasn't considering buying it myself, but is the "CAM" truly TSA compliant? Also, tangentially related, but those watches are amazing, aren't they?
I don't see any sharp blades, explosive devices, or liquids greater than 3.4oz so I don't see why TSA would have an issue.

Then again it's a government agency and they make up rules as they go.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I received a Leatherman wave as a gift 15 years ago. I've never needed anything else, and it has my name engraved on it, so I know it'll never go missing.

Now a knife on the other hand...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’ve been reading your posts for years. I know you’re smarter than this.

Haha. Fair enough. I never let anyone use it and it lives on my belt... so unless they knock me down and take my pants, it won’t go missing.

I have lost several stethoscopes though, engraving be damned.

And some jerk has my Gerber knife that was given to me as a graduation gift from a dear friend who’s since passed.

I hate people.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I ordered a new SOG multitool a while back to replace the one I had lost, this ones nicer in the sense I can access all the tools with it closed.... but be sure to read all the details before ordering online...
15457642674901437748178375199055.jpg

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
So I ordered a new SOG multitool a while back to replace the one I had lost, this ones nicer in the sense I can access all the tools with it closed.... but be sure to read all the details before ordering online...
What model is that? And is your hand that big or the tool that small? I currently have a Leatherman Sidekick and Wave, but have been looking for something smaller/lighter that still has a decent set of pliers to more reliably carry every day.