What is PALS?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
On an job application I recently saw, there was a line that instructed the applicant to "check all that are current", and the choices were ACLS, PALS, BTLS/PHTLS, and EMS Instructor. I know what each of those is except PALS; can someone please tell me what those initials stand for? (I'm kind of assuming the ALS part means the same that it usually means, but I don't know what the P is for.)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Another Course is PEPP - Peds. Education for Prehospital Providers.... Good course, and there is a BLS version as well as an ALS versions.

Many places don't care which one you have, as long as you (as an ALS provider) have one of the 2.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
Another Course is PEPP - Peds. Education for Prehospital Providers.... Good course, and there is a BLS version as well as an ALS versions.

Many places don't care which one you have, as long as you (as an ALS provider) have one of the 2.
Now this one I've heard of; it's what's offered in this state...which makes the application odd, because it was for a state job.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
PEPP is a "new" course - a few years old. Not everyone has gotten the idea of PEPP being the same, or better, into their heads.

Some places still want you to have PALS, because that's what they had when the boss went to school.

natrab

Forum Crew Member
It's a good idea to do both as they both seem to have different focuses. Pedi calls are the worst and the most knowlege you have about them the better. The school I'm at makes us do both.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm certified to instruct PEPP..

It stems from that Emergency Medical Services for Children organization. Its focus is to make sure basics are ready to treat children. And the main goal was to reach those in rural areas, who may not treat many children, and may lose focus on them as there are not many Pediatric Con-Ed programs. It's a great class, lots of hands on material, video, and lectures! Plus, it gets you 8 Basic CEC's!

Have I sold it to you yet?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
PALS is that cool program at Petsmart that gets you a discount on dog chow..

oh, or.. Pediatric Advanced Life Support.

:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
rcmedic said:
PALS is that cool program at Petsmart that gets you a discount on dog chow..
:)

NICE!!!!!

~Jon