What happens if I let my NREMT expire

Tk11

Forum Captain
It expires March 31st this year. Is it important to keep? I don't believe I have any CE hours for it and I don't know where to get them. I don't plan on moving out of state anytime soon. How do I get the CE hours to recertify?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Probably depends on what state you're in. In Texas, I don't need it and have since let it lapse.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
CE, 48 hour refresher or recert by exam.

It's all at ... Wait for it...

NREMT.org

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Don't let it expire, it's a lot harder to get back after it's gone. A lot of services and states require it, and while it seems as if it does nothing for you, it might open doors in the future, and the cost is minimal.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Ok thanks guys, someone told me it was really hard to recertify, they said I'd need a ton of ce hours and wouldn't be able to do it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is it 48 hour or 40 hours? Im recerting in Colorado and i was told maybe 24 hours? So confused
The NREMT explains their new process and which process you need to follow in your state in order to recertify.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you let it go and then decide at a later date you need/want it back, its going to be much much harder to get back than it would have been to keep and could potentially have a significantly negative effect on your life.

Let's say that you let it go now and in a year meet a person, fall in love and so on. That person then requires a transfer in location for their work that cant be avoided(also possible here is the person you're already with gets in the same boat). With an active national, chances are high you could immediately begin the reciprocity and be licensed in a new state forthwith, resulting in a minimal lapse in your ability to earn a living. If you give it up, you will have a further delay of meeting cert requirements to regain your national card, then beginning the reciprocity process, assuming the new state doesn't recognize your current states license.

Contrast that with now and what you would have to do to keep it. You will need to take the NCCR for your level, which should be readily available at any(every) ems training organization in your area, then your local requirements(protocol updates, rounds, etc), then your individual requirements. Some of the above can e done online, some must be live. Once you have your hours, most of which should be available for free from your current employer(in a perfect world) or for a nominal fee from an outside training center, you just need the appropriate signatures from your training center affiliate(typically your employer).

Neither getting nor keeping an NR cert is overly complicated or expensive. The NR has laid it all out on their site in easy to follow color coded flow charts. Do some research, read the information thoroughly and completely and follow the steps.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Ok thanks guys, someone told me it was really hard to recertify, they said I'd need a ton of ce hours and wouldn't be able to do it.
You know at some point you'll have to do CE for your state card right?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE LET A CERT LAPSE!!!!!!

Trust me, I let my Illinois go over some administrative stuff that was 50/50 my fault and theirs.

15 months later Im paying lots of fees, retaking the NREMT pyschomotor, and the Illinois written test.

It is ALWAYS easier to just keep the cert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk