What do you hate the most when you start your shift?

Which do you HATE the most when starting your shift?

• No fuel left in tank

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Messy Truck (either pt compartment or cab)

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • Truck is boxed in the back of garage, requiring you to move other vehicles to pull it out

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Truck smells!

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters

Amack

Forum Crew Member
I'd say...an understocked truck left a mess!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd say...an understocked truck left a mess!

How about my truck not even being there, because MY truck got given to another crew that isn't back yet?

Sasha

Forum Chief
When Iworked on a truck, i hated if it smelled bad. You can't go off and febreeze it because of patients allergies, you could clean it and HOPED the smell went away, but if it didn't you had to suffer. i especially hated it when the cab smelled like pee. There's no excuse for that!

OP
OP
Amack

Amack

Forum Crew Member
Last edited by a moderator:

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
None of these bother me near as much as getting a call before I catch the morning smoke, and starbucks.

But. Shift change is 0700, and the first call usually rolls in about 0710, presuming the truck is there when I get there, and not on a call.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Um, EWWW, how'd THAT happen???

I never got the guts to ask why the truck sometimes smelled like pee. I was better off not knowing and using a dispoasble cot sheet over the seat.

OP
OP
Amack

Amack

Forum Crew Member
Um, EWWW, how'd THAT happen???

When Iworked on a truck, i hated if it smelled bad. You can't go off and febreeze it because of patients allergies, you could clean it and HOPED the smell went away, but if it didn't you had to suffer. i especially hated it when the cab smelled like pee. There's no excuse for that!

I never got the guts to ask why the truck sometimes smelled like pee. I was better off not knowing and using a dispoasble cot sheet over the seat.

haha...you should have left a bedpan on the driver and passenger seats to get your point across to the other shifts

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
I always leave the trucks (engine, ladder, ambulance, etc.) the way I find them if they have been left in satisfactory condition if not I remediate the issue immediately if it is something I can fix.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
My biggest kick is when for any reason the truck is not ready to roll. Be it at shift change,or any time of day.

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
I have really small hands ... if there are no small gloves on the unit and I don't have any in my pocket, I'm screwed.

OP
OP
Amack

Amack

Forum Crew Member
I have really small hands ... if there are no small gloves on the unit and I don't have any in my pocket, I'm screwed.

ahhh! my other pet peeve is when there are only smalls or mediums on my truck...lol I'm a freak of nature and NEED XLs

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't work on an ambulance, but...

I am neurotic about tape. I hate it when people don't fold the corner or edge of tape like transpore... you know what I mean? Because when you have gloves on, it's a pain in the butt to get to that tape if you don't have a little tab.

When I did my first shift at my new first aid job at an Amusement Park, it was slow... I noticed that none of the tape was tabbed as such. I spent about a half an hour going through every roll (we have a well-stocked little clinic and several jump bags) and folding the edges. Then I cleaned everything. Like everything. From the exam beds to the walls. I don't know if my new coworkers like that I'm so OCD or if they think I'm insane.

Another thing that might apply to jump bags... but this bothered me in SAR with our medical bags which are large backpacks so it was even more important because they weren't all compartmentalized...

People would pile a bunch of non-critical equipment on top of critical stuff. Like excuse me... I need an OPA, suction and a BVM NOW... I do not want to waste time shuffling through SAM splints, bandaids, random rolls of kerlix and cold packs trying to get to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Of the four choices, a messy truck. Unless the crew are getting back late from a call. What really bugs me is having a call dropped on my truck as I'm walking in the door. I hate having to jump in and go with no time to get squared away.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I am easy going and don't let much bother me but when I get in the truck better be cleaned and fueled. The only other 2 ways to really get on my bad side are not dog earing the tape and not bringing the zippers to the middle on the bags.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Getting a call before i get my first smoke and coffee of the day down. Everything else is secondary, as long as no item is completely missing. No matter how busy a crew has been i cant recall a single incident of receiving a messy truck, then again it's always been our policy to clean the truck before leaving the ED like an HIV patient blew up in the back. Many a shifts either myself or my partner would be in the back still cleaning while otw to the next call if we do get a call while out at the ED still.

Coptrainer

Forum Probie
Missing Stock

My biggest gripe is finding the truck hasn't been restocked after a call. Missing equipment is a problem I'd rather not have to and shouldn't have to deal with.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
What I absolutly hate is gloves left in the cab. On the floor, under the seat, in the door pocket, you name it...............