What do you guys think?? MRI results.

JCEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Okay so last year I used to work construction, long story short hurt my back lifting some cinder blocks. Saw the doc, diagnosed with a strain yadda yadda.

Here we are a year later, still having issues. Somedays i'm fine, other days I have sharp shooting pain, muscle weakness of the lowerback etc. If I go to the chiro every 2 weeks like i'm supposed to it usually feels fine. I just had an MRI done...and the results were:

bulging L5-S1 Disc, some signs of degeneration. To my knowledge a bulging disc isn't a herniated disc, but I could be wrong. I have not read the report yet myself, I have only spoke to my doctor briefly on the phone. Orthopedist isn't overly concerned. I'm supposed to start physical therapy soon and see a sports medicine doctor.

I know it may not be wise of me to work the road with this problem as it may just make it worse and I don't want back surgery when i'm 30. This really bums me out because I love working the road. I'm considering just trying to get an ER position once I obtain my EMT-P as the hospital is a little more of a controlled setting and would be easier on my back. Anyone with a similar injury or experience with a back injury input would be very appreciated. Is this complete death for my EMS career??

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think it is impossible for anyone to offer sounnd perspectives on your EMS career without knowing about your overall health and fitness, seeing the imaging, and tracking your progress through PT.

Before deciding whether or not your career in EMS is over, perhaps it better to focus on getting better and working hard in therapy?

Ultimately the only person who can decide if you can work in the field is you. History is filled with stories of those who persevered through rather major injuries to pursue doing what they wanted.

OP
OP
J

JCEMTB

Forum Crew Member
You are of course correct. I just posted this because...I don't know. I'm just rather anxious/worried about it, felt like I needed to type it out.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
I made a thread about this a few months ago when I was contimplating going to Medic school, the difference from my situation being my problems are far worse than yours. I have a four bulging discs, 3 herniated discs, and an extruded disc at L5/S1. I decided to continue on therapy, pick up some McKenzie texts, and push on and hope for the best.

A bulding disc isn't too much to worry about, especially if you're going to therapy. I highly reccomend "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie, it's a great book that will be of much assistance. Good luck.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I saw a Physiatrist (Physical Medicine & Rehab doctor) when I hurt my back. He did a thorough exam and then prescribed PT. Seems like the right way to do it to me.