What do you do off-duty?

BeansCO

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

I am looking for something to do on off days. I work nights so I have gaps of time during the day when my fiancé is at work that I just sit around the house. I live in Colorado and I hike regularly but I need something else that's a bit more social. I would like to find an organization to volunteer with. I've considered joining a volley rescue but I think I need to do something outside the industry. Thoughts? What do you do when you have time off?

Beans

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I picked up photography. Not generally considered a social activity but I find it therapeutic and relaxing, which is also important in our industry.

20e52ccf37f12235fb5a147689b7c7f9.jpg

58470cfdcdc14a34489715f6fa4d646e.jpg
6f09f2e2296d6200d4e0eec50791cb9c.jpg

b801d660870c7f3527929efbd5d9d12a.jpg

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Trey Spooner has a good idea... photography is pretty cool...

In other news, I just have to ask... How is it that you made it through 25 years of life without a hobby or something fun to do, and found a woman to marry you?
I am seriously asking, and genuinely not trying to be a d***.

I find it strange that you would come here to ask a question like that. Perhaps you should be asking the folks you know in the real world, and build some sort of social structure or friendships with people you can actually converse with, share ideas with, have fun with, etc.

If that doesn't work.... Well, maybe you should build StarWars Legos or something. Or try the bar.

You need to find something to do; your life sounds unhealthy.

OP
OP
B

BeansCO

Forum Probie
NPO, those photos are awesome.

Sandpit, I didn't really go into all the details of my life so I apologize if it seems like I don't do anything.

I volunteer for a camp for kids with serious illnesses but that only happens during certain seasons. I work on my home occasionally. I go to the bar, hike, kayak and snowboard with my friends.

Most of my friends just want to keep doing the same stuff. I was mostly asking here to get ideas of what others do so I can try some new things.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
When I get bored and have nothing else to do and need busy work while home alone, I'll build model cars, nothing fancy just the premaid plastic box ones that you paint. But when I don't feel like going out it keeps my mind busy instead of always Netflix or video games

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I second the photography thing. I picked it up when I got bored, and it also can bring in a little income if you do it that way. Other things I do are spending time with the girlfriend and puppies, firearms and drinking beer [emoji14]

Last edited:

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
I work a second job as a medic. The more I make, the more I spend.
Fish as much as I can. Fall fishing is my favorite time of the year. I have five weeks off in Sept. and Oct..
Got into horses a few years ago. They are the most therapeutic animal there is. Plus it's were I spend most of my second job's money on.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
FB_IMG_1442700214344.jpg
During the cooler months (October - April) dirt bike riding is the main thing I do to relax.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I wish
I second the photography thing. I picked it up when I got bored, and it also can bring in a little income if you do it that way. Other things I do are spending time with the girlfriend and puppies, firearms and drinking beer [emoji14]

I wish I could like this ten more times, brother.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Get a motorcycle, that's half the fun. The other half is watching all of your money disappear.
+1 Got a motorcycle and love it.

terrible one

Always wandering
Crossfit, shooting, women, hiking, traveling, drinking, wakeboard, snowboard, sporting events, fishing, and going to the beach all take up my time on my off days

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I do competitive shooting, running races with the wife, school, time with the kids. That's the fun stuff anyways. Then there's the yard work, trying to keep the house from falling apart etc etc.

OP
OP
B

BeansCO

Forum Probie
Nice! I grew up hunting so I may pick up shooting. Any of you face push back from the so with regards to a handgun in the home? My fiance grew up being taught to fear them...so trying to get her on board may be a bit tough.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice! I grew up hunting so I may pick up shooting. Any of you face push back from the so with regards to a handgun in the home? My fiance grew up being taught to fear them...so trying to get her on board may be a bit tough.
Try getting her to go to a range with you. I've met a few people who were scared of firearms, but after they had a chance to really learn about and fire them that fear went away.

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant

Initially my wife was wary. The only exposure she (or her family) had with guns was a great uncle was got drunk and waved loaded guns in public. After awhile I even got my wife to do competitions with me. I'm fortunate that my wife is very open and reasonable.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I ride my Harley, short trips, long trips...my dog also rides with me. She is a true BOB.
I go to the beach as I live in FL. The beach is my happy place. I go early and I go alone.
I play poker. Hold'em. It is a sport that engages the brain and I am competitive. I travel for tournaments when not at the local poker rooms.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Substitute at the schools here (I have 5 days a week off and am bored 4 1/2 days a week) wife works at school, and most people work regular 4 - 10 days so don't go exploring much on my own). Explore on weekends when I have someone that is free and wants to go with me.
I actually have a side business of Touring the West: So I can deduct my expenses and mileage for my exploration as long as someone goes with me.

Shooting, drive 90 miles one way to visit family, hike, Boy Scouts.

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
My main job is Firefighter 24hrs on 48 off. Then I work another job that is 24 on 48 off that is a private firefighter/EMS service for a major manufacturer.

So on my 24 hours off Depends on the daily plans. I teach Martial Arts, but not as much now. I will mostly use that day to spend family time or if everyone is at school or work I play my Xbox and clean around the house or yard work.

I won't do this working 48hrs forever. Just until I retire from my main FF career.