What do you all have on your personal vehicles

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Just thought i would start a discussion with what everyone has on their vehicles for EMS or Fire related. And if you have a reason for it or just because.

OP
OP
E

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay I have EMS plates on my car. Other than that I just have my first aid kit in the trunk.

What about the rest of you.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Fire Fighter tags on my pickup cause I can and we have FF parking only in places. A Rural Metro sticker in the back window so the area cops dont give me a speeding ticket... :lol:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hmm... I'm taking mental stock since I'm on a business trip and don't have my car with me...

On the front I have an Eaton's Neck FD metal license plate hanging from the bottom of my NY plate, and a Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corps metal plate above my NY plate. I then have a blue light for FD response, and I was recently given a green light for ambulance corps response (although I haven't put it in yet). I have a couple pairs of gloves in my console. In the trunk I have my FD gear, O2, and BLS tech bag for FD business. I also have my coveralls and a small first aid bag for ambulance corps business. I then have a FF/EMT sticker on the back window, and one each of the emblems for the FD and the Corps.

Sounds like a lot, but when you look at my car it's not that bad. But then again, 1/3 of my trunk is always full.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Let's see here (Warning: Gonna be a long post):

Stickers:
Department sticker in rear window (lower left)
EMT/Firefighter sticker in rear window (above center brake light)
FF Calvin urinating on fire in rear window (lower right)
Remeber 09/11 with American Flag in left rear vent window
IAAI Member in left rear vent window
NREMT in right rear vent window
NAEMT in right rear vent window
IEMSA in right rear vent window
WA EMT in right rear vent window
Communications:
Bag phone mounted in vehicle
Kenwood TK-706G 128 channel mobile radio
Radio Shack Pro-2067 500 channel, 800MHz Trunk Tracking Scanner
Three additional visible antennas and one hidden
Lights (currently all amber unless noted)
Clear side handle spotlight (driver's side)
Whelen Flatlighter Strobes (Front passenger visor)
Clear corner strobes powered by 6 head, 90W power supply from Whelen
Whelen Dash Misers x2 (upper rear window, left and right side)
Multi pattern headlight flasher
Taillight flasher
Jump Kit
Jump Suit
Two emergency blankets
Portable compressor
Flak Jacket
Spare coat and gloves

The rest of what I have is not fire/EMS related. Most of what I have installed, I installed at my previous department but am not allowed to use them where I'm at now. I've removed the back seat and cage that I had installed for my dogs (well, the upper half anyway). I've also tinted the rear windows to the maximum amount allowed to cut down the profile of the installed lights. They still work just fine when turned on, but when they're off you have to know what you're looking for to see them.

Oh yeah, I drive an all white Chevy Caprice. (It's no wonder nobody wants to pass me on the interstate. :p )

Summit

Critical Crazy
(Long post)

ON MY CAR:

I have a MRA sticker (Mountain Rescue Association) and a sticker of my SAR team on my car. (I also have a Gadsen Flag (Don't Tred on Me) and an American Flag)

NOT ON MY CAR:

I have not yet to put a sticker for my ambulance service on yet or a metal water rescue overplate on I might do that at some point. I might add a DAN (divers alert network) sticker on.

NO LIGHTS (they won't let us here). This sucks as I am 15min minimum from the closest trailheads and passes where we get SAR calls and 15 minutes from the rescue barns. Some of the SAR calls are 70 minutes away! My average drive is probably 25 miles and slow drivers on mountain roads make it significantly longer.

---

IN MY CAR

In my car I pretty much only have a couple pair of gloves, some alchohol swabs, tape, 4x4s, and bandaids. Food, clothing, flashlights, water of course... I do have flagging and 10x50 binocs, and my backcountry/SAR pack which has my wilderness medkit.

---

IN MY PACK

Wilderness medkit + Other gear:

Winter Med Kit (~1lb):

General/splinting:
Pocket Mask
Hand warmers
Sam Splint
2x Elastic wrap
550 cord
Crevat
Various improvisable splinting material
Tourniquet

Bandaging:
Cloth Tape
Transpore Tape
Duct Tape (LOTS)
2 4x4s
Roller gauze
Various bandaids various sizes (including butterflies)

Meds (packets or packed):
Alchohol prep pads
3-antibiotic ointment
Eyedrops
Naproxen (I love Aleve)
Ibuprofen (reccomended for frostbite)
ASA
Multivitamins
Sulfameth antibiotics
Antidiahreal
Benadryl
Caffiene
Burn gel

Additional gear:
Extendable 3' shovel with 1' Al blade /w multipurpose saw in handle
SOS F1-ND Avalanche beacon
260cm Carbon Fiber avalanche probe (also a snowscience kit and altimeter)

3 locking caribiners
2 Emergency blankets
Headlamp, Compass (/w clineometer), GPS, maps, extra Clothes/Food/Water/Purification/metal wire/multitool/knife/tweezers/3 ways to make fire/extrabatteries/clear goggles/flagging/etc etc etc

Cell Phone
5W 4-band HAM HT (Works as a scanner and there are autopatches and open linked repeaters around here and in an emergency it can do public safety channels (in an emergency only))

To add:
1" tubular webbing various lengths
30m 7mm dynamic
More Crevats
NPA adjustable + lube
2x OPA (general sizes)
More 4x4s
Abd pad
Vaseline gauze
Coban (most usefull stuff ever) to replace the elastic wraps
ACS
Military Pressure Dressing
ActCel 4x4

Summer changes:
A lot more 4x4s + irrigation syringe, lightweight harness, folding saw, remove avalanche gear

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
In my car I carry a Galls/ Dyna Med® BLS Kit - Link

That's it. No stickers :)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Amkus tool, booster tank, skid unit, 5000' LDH, 75' LTI Ladder, trauma center, heliport... :p

I like my vehicles to be neat, clean and free of clutter. One bag in the way back of "Whacker One" has my bunker gear, another has my extrication jumpsuit, and finally I have a small blue iron-duck ultra pack. I also carry a plastic pouch w/ FCDA disaster blanket. These were distributed by our company for winter emergencies b/c they are so heavy and warm.

I carry in the trauma pack a variety of small but useful items including; adjustable collar, 4x4's, 2x2's, 2"-3"-4"-6" Bandage Rolls, 10x30" Multi-Trauma Dressings, 5x9's, 8x10's, scissors, OPA's, Adult BVM w/ assorted masks, penlight, notebook & pen, gloves, goggles, several tubes of glucose, SAM Splint, 2 & 3" Tape, vomit bag and other small things.

No specialty plates, stickers, lights, etc., on any of my vehicles. I do have a dash light that I use when parking along the road. But it usually resides in the center console.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Feb 28 2005, 08:03 AM
Amkus tool, booster tank, skid unit, 5000' LDH, 75' LTI Ladder, trauma center, heliport... :p
The sad part is I actually belived the first 2

I don't have a car. My parents' both have EWVFA (my FD) on the front of the cars, and my mom's has my "cute little 10 minute" bag - see skate medic for contents list....

Mine will have blue lights - Wheelen Responder 2, varius ham radio stuff, and my Big Galls Bag.

Jon

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
You all crack me up.

On my vehicle i have FF/PM tags. Thats it! In my vehicle - a first aid kit. Mostly for when the kids go camping.

Now I am convinced .. I am totally boring and unexciting!!!!

OH, but I have a flashlight.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@Feb 28 2005, 05:53 PM
OH, but I have a flashlight.
h, but do you have a streamlight Stinger? How about a SL-20? Mag Charger???

If not, then you are well, not a Blue, oops, I mean a whacker :D

Jon

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
other than those of you who carry equipment FOR work, why do you want to carry more than a first aid kit?

Out of morbid curiousity, all these stickers, what exactly is the point? (I am not talking about a single decal for each organization one is actually a member of)other than providing a good laugh to the majority of the providers anb blocking the drivers view, is there a higher purpose served?

Lights, whats the general consensus on lights? My opinion, one blue light for a ff, none for anyone else. Most old timers dont even run their blue light anymore. I personally dont think any care not officially designated as an emergency vehicleshould have more lights than a police cruiser. I would like to see limitations placed on no emergency vehicles from a federal standpoint, with felony repercussions. In todays society, there is too much Emergency services impersonation (PD) and that would help to eliminte much of it.

My county, thank got has an ordinance that does not allow EMS to run lights in their personal vehicles, and I truly believe that saves lives.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I did not know we were talking about all emergency equipment as well... I also have front turn signal and headlight stobes, tail light strobes, traffic backers, front multiflash wig wags, hideaway white and red dash light, and a steady burn red in the back left window. I only carry a couple pairs of gloves, and my CPR mask other than my ears and BP cuff.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Feb 28 2005, 09:37 PM
and a steady burn red in the back left window.
What is the point of this? I am an East Coast boy - I don't know this tradition.

Jon

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
i carry NOTHING! i might have a pair of gloves somewhere in my rig and maybe a 20g iv cath somewhere that I might have thrown out of my pocket after a shift one day, but that's all B)

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have anything... yet.

You can bet once I pass the NR I will be gettin some stickers tho. :p Seems like everyone here where I live has stickers all over their car/truck/suv whether they are PD, Fire, EMT, or Medic. It's pretty cool. I look forward to earning my badge of honor. :)

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I've got a California State Firefighters Association (CSFA) decal and an NAEMT decal in the lower left corner of my rear window. Most every FF who's a member of CSFA has one of these decals on their vehicle...its a red fire helmet with the letters CSFA in the middle in yellow, and underneath it has your department name. I also decal of a kneeling FF decal in the right corner. I used to have a maltese cross with the department name and station number in the middle, but I took it off because I thought it was too showy and it blocked my view out the rear window.

I have the California firefighter license plates, which have the Backdraft movie poster photo of Kurt Russel walking out of the flames on the left next to the tag number and say "Firefigther" across the bottom. Mine're personallized and read "FF CAG" (Firefighter and my initials).

I don't really carry much in the way of EMS equipment. I have a small jump bag that I use in case I'm the first on-scene before our ambulance...happened last week when we had a call 2 houses up from me. It really just has gloves, a steth and BP cuff, a BVM and OP airways, trauma shears, a penlight and some trauma dressings in it, plus a pen and pad to write notes on.

Other than that, I have a charger for my Minitor pager and a rechargeable Streamlight SL-20X flashlight.

I do carry some fire-related stuff in the bed (have a hard tonneau cover). I have my wildland striketeam bag, which has clothes and a sleeping bag in it and doubles as my disaster supplies. I also keep a spare brush coat and jacket to put on over street clothes if there's a med call. And, I usually carry my turnout gear because its faster to grab it out of the back and run into the station than it is to go into the station to my locker and then back to the engine.

When its rainy, I usally through my rain suit and a pair of old rubber turnout boots in too.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
IAFF sticker & a pocket mask in the glove box.
That's all I have.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I carry a CPR mask and gloves in my backpack (the one that is always with me - all my school stuff in there) as well as my flashlight (Streamlight Stinger) and my stethascope.

Jon