What do the ambulance companies prefer?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
When I worked at Toyota our monitor/aed was the same as the county rigs'. When the ambulance arrived all we had to do was switch our leads to their machine. But what happens when the pads/systems don't match up? Will pads work on different models? How hard is it to pull pads off?

Fortunately in the three years that I put in there we never had to hook anyone up. Our policy stated that we didn't put the pads on someone unless there was no pulse. Since we were only MFRs we didn't have the need to hook someone to 'monitor' them.

And I'm curious. Have you ever responded and had a patient who had pads already on (ie Security or a FD hooked them up)? What is your policy regarding this?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Sometimes PD has pads on when we get there. They are interchangeable with both my Lifepak 12 and my Zoll. We leave them where they are as long as they are properly placed, and hook 'em up. If it's ALS, we also of course throw on our leads.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've never been on a call with pads already applied, but it is my understanding that ALS will just plug the pads into their LifePak 12s.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Feb 7 2005, 11:42 PM
I've never been on a call with pads already applied, but it is my understanding that ALS will just plug the pads into their LifePak 12s.
Locally and at my clinical sites they use Zoll and Physio Defib/Monitors.

Locally we use Physio, Laredal, phillips, and some other AED's. The other day on the Code at clinical we had to take EMS's pads off because zoll ain't lifepack.

At work we have LP500's - the 1st due ALS uses LP12's, so we could interchange.

I would take the common sense approch - if they work and are in the right place, keep 'em - why waste your nice pads ;)

but that has got to be like 1 in 100.

Jon

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
The LP500 is compatible with both the LP12, and the LP10-P. I had a situation with a company that I used to volly for where we had the LP12 as our Primary, and the LP10-P as a backup.

I had grabbed the 10 out of habit, and PD had put pads on the Pt. The medic just reached into the side, and connected the pads without even blinking.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Feb 11 2005, 03:03 AM
The LP500 is compatible with both the LP12, and the LP10-P. I had a situation with a company that I used to volly for where we had the LP12 as our Primary, and the LP10-P as a backup.

I had grabbed the 10 out of habit, and PD had put pads on the Pt. The medic just reached into the side, and connected the pads without even blinking.
some say the 10 is easier for a code, some don't

If you have the handsfree it is real easy, but you can't do codemarkers on the rythymstrips

Jon

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 7 2005, 04:22 PM
Sometimes PD has pads on when we get there. They are interchangeable with both my Lifepak 12 and my Zoll. We leave them where they are as long as they are properly placed, and hook 'em up. If it's ALS, we also of course throw on our leads.
I end up taking the cops pads off from the LP500 because I cant pace through the adapter just fyi :D

rescuecpt

Being able to "I'm clear, you're clear, we're all clear, shock shock shock" is more emergent IMO than paceing. But I definitely see your point Alex. Thank you for showing me the way oh wise one!

(For everyone else, Alex and I know each other, I am not offended or being offensive, just ribbing my EMTAL a little. ;) )

rescuecpt

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 11 2005, 09:22 PM
(For everyone else, Alex and I know each other, I am not offended or being offensive, just ribbing my EMTAL a little. ;) )
EMTAL????????????????????????

Please help out us non-New Yorkers :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 11 2005, 09:22 PM
Being able to "I'm clear, you're clear, we're all clear, shock shock shock" is more emergent IMO than paceing.
Yeah......

At one of my clinical sites, they use LP 9's and 10's with "special" aftermarket pads (use a special adaptor to attach un place of the fast-pads) the same pads hook up to a specaul pacing cable. Actually a very nice and common - sense set-up.

Jon

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
We have a caterpillar plant here that uses an AED, we have to switch pads, but that takes like 4 seconds max, so its not a realistic issue. We have picked two code up there since they implemented their AED program, one of which was a save, so its obviously not a problem.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 11 2005, 10:01 PM

EMTAL stands for EMT Alex, one of my buddies from another department.

No, Alex is not my BF, we both have our own "other halves" that drive us crazy... (but of course we love them, right Alex?)

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Feb 13 2005, 08:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Feb 13 2005, 08:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Feb 11 2005, 10:01 PM

No, Alex is not my BF, we both have our own "other halves" that drive us crazy... (but of course we love them, right Alex?) [/b][/quote]
if you say so... :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtal233+Feb 13 2005, 10:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtal233 @ Feb 13 2005, 10:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 13 2005, 08:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@Feb 11 2005, 10:01 PM

No, Alex is not my BF, we both have our own "other halves" that drive us crazy... (but of course we love them, right Alex?)
if you say so... :p [/b][/quote]
BTW, Alex - I LOVE the signature.

What a big difference 3 feet can make :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

Jon