What books do you still read up on / have or recommend.

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
I figured I'd post to see what books people read up on frequently or recommend for newbies.

I'm a EMT-B , Looking to work on a rig for awhile as well as working on my pre reqs for Nursing school.

I already go over my Textbook from class and other sources / notes I have but I know for example paramedics get a lot more text books to go along with medicine / terminology and all that good stuff. So yeah what do you have / suggest / still use?

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Funny how this thread has no answers. But ask about a skill or a bad call and all the "rickys" come out to "rescue"

Excellent question wanting to read up. I would read, listen and video. Makes it more fun.

Blogs
EMCrit
Critmedic
Kelly Graysons Ambulance driver blog

ITunes
Confessions of an EMS newbie
PHARM podcast
Inside EMS

Books
Rapid interpretation of EKG's
Prehospital Pharmaocology

Youtube
Larry Melick

Understanding will come with a little bit of time. Stay up on as much as you can and never let anyone discourage you from trying to expand your knowledge base. I regularly have meaningful conversations with docs with no barriers because I read what they read.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Or maybe it's because this question has been asked a ton. OP, do a search on here. Countless recommendations have been made.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Funny how this thread has no answers. But ask about a skill or a bad call and all the "rickys" come out to "rescue"

Excellent question wanting to read up. I would read, listen and video. Makes it more fun.

Blogs
EMCrit
Critmedic
Kelly Graysons Ambulance driver blog

ITunes
Confessions of an EMS newbie
PHARM podcast
Inside EMS

Books
Rapid interpretation of EKG's
Prehospital Pharmaocology

Youtube
Larry Melick

Understanding will come with a little bit of time. Stay up on as much as you can and never let anyone discourage you from trying to expand your knowledge base. I regularly have meaningful conversations with docs with no barriers because I read what they read.
Overall, a very bold post. [emoji1433]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Eh maybe so... But some folks are new. Costs nothing to help out.
Help out? You mean, like, informing the OP that there are countless posts about resources he could use? And pointing out that there's a search function for other questions that may have already been answered? That kind of helping out?

Once you've been here a while, you start seeing many of the same questions pop up over and over. It gets old replying to the same question numerous times. Thus much of the lack of responses, and thus pointing out the search function.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
You don't have to reply you know... You're always welcome to leave it to a newbie like me to answer.

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Good suggestions up there, definitely good places to start. I'd also recommend starting with a topic that interests you or a type of call that you get a lot of, and then search either here or google for basic books on that specific topic. There are always the building blocks of anatomy, cardiology, and pharmacology that will help a LOT. Knowing what your patient's medication is for is extremely helpful. Also, everybody learns differently. If you go on amazon, you can read reviews and descriptions and see how the books are laid out and what people liked and why to help find a good one for you.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Good suggestions up there, definitely good places to start. I'd also recommend starting with a topic that interests you or a type of call that you get a lot of, and then search either here or google for basic books on that specific topic. There are always the building blocks of anatomy, cardiology, and pharmacology that will help a LOT. Knowing what your patient's medication is for is extremely helpful. Also, everybody learns differently. If you go on amazon, you can read reviews and descriptions and see how the books are laid out and what people liked and why to help find a good one for you.
Excellent suggestions.

I would also add some of the ems related journals if you want to go deeper. Annals of emetgemcy medicine...journal of special ops medicine.. lots of good stuff out there.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing if not provacative. Not a generalized comment however. I think a lot of folks here do care and would have somethingnto add.
Haha. Bold posts are not necessarily good posts. [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Perhaps. But I stand firm anyway.

"The recruit knows that if he changes his mind the sgt will only hit him harder"

OP got a good place to start..mission accomplished.

OP
OP
Oxygenforeverybody

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
I aint scared to ask a old question! Sure there mite be some old post with some decent information in it, But new things pop up from other posters. Forums is just a place to talk. So why not talk?

Like for example after using the search bar, I didnt find anything that NUEMT posted in regards to 'Itunes'. I never knew there was audio stuff I could get into.

But thanks for the replies. I used to be a admin / moderator for many different 'forum driven communities' so I understand the 'post that have been asked a thousand times but worded differently" I also understand the search bar can be very vague and not give you the answers you want.

As I was taught in the military and even in life. "No such thing as a stupid question." Even if the question is literally stupid.. ITs better to ASK than to not.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Especially since nursing is the end goal, I think focusing more on the basic science topics will be higher yield since it will apply both to EMS and to nursing. Learning as much as you can about anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology will be more helpful in the long run than EMS journals and podcasts, I think. Jumping straight to something like EMCrit is like putting the cart before the horse - you need a solid understanding of the foundation before you can really benefit from more advanced discussion, and the EMT-B curriculum really doesn't give you that.

I think a great place to start is Khan Academy. Search around and look up whatever seems interesting to you. You pretty much can't go wrong, and any time spent doing anything in this section will be really beneficial: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine

If you want to fast forward your learning and become more competent as an EMT specifically, there is no substitute for real life experience. But aside from that, the best thing to do, IMO, is to go through scenarios. Think about what you would do at each step of the way. What equipment would you bring in, what would you ask the patient, what would you say to the family, when/how are you going to extricate, what will you say in your patch to the hospital, what will you say in your handoff report to the nurse/doctor, etc. Reading through the scenarios forum on EMTLife is a great idea, and you can also find some really good ones here: http://emsbasics.com/welcome-to-scenarioville/scenarios/

Last edited:

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
Also, there's this funny thing about books... they keep writing more. So an old post may not have a new book on it.

And EMS in general is ever evolving. So a question that has been asked before may have a new answer. Just think about back boarding... how a post from 2 years ago vs last week would be different. New research in medications and diseases... //end rant//

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
And EMS in general is ever evolving. So a question that has been asked before may have a new answer. Just think about back boarding... how a post from 2 years ago vs last week would be different. New research in medications and diseases... //end rant//
You're probably right, there have been a ton of groundbreaking advances in the last two months.

http://emtlife.com/threads/study-material-before-emt-p-class.43504/

And books aren't updated every year (usually 5 years or more), so even slightly "old" recommendations aren't invalid. The science also very rarely changes, so old texts are still valuable considering you overlook treatments, which most don't offer anyway. One of my favorite ECG books was printed in 1988 (Practical Electrocardiography 8e by Marriott)

http://emtlife.com/threads/must-read-texts.19878/

But how dare the suggestion be made that the OP actually look for information. After all, if it wasn't posted yesterday, it must still be preaching high-dose epi, stacked shocks, and that the heart is the origin of consciousness.

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
It was a general comment on preaching old threads, but I appreciate your anger.
Since you insist on being nasty, we'll go into it. I'm glad your favorite was printed in 1988. Somebody else's favorite might not have been. No, books aren't "updated" like that, but new ones are published. Somebody who joined this thread recently may have a book nobodys heard of and never searched through the archives for a thread related to books to add to it. How dare they.

But no, nobody should be allowed to ask a question because it was asked before. Eventually there won't be a forum and you'll have nothing to complain about.

See? I can be a sarcastic prick too. It's not hard, and it's not an appealing quality.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Lol! So if someone says something opposing your point of view, it's a nasty, angry retort from a sarcastic prick??* Either you live in a sheltered echo chamber, or life must be very difficult.

*The fact that I actually am a sarcastic, arrogant prick is irrelevant...

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
No, it's the nasty, sarcastic replies that make it that, nothing to do with the viewpoint.

You're probably right, there have been a ton of groundbreaking advances in the last two months.

And books aren't updated every year (usually 5 years or more),

But how dare the suggestion be made that the OP actually look for information. After all, if it wasn't posted yesterday, it must still be preaching high-dose epi, stacked shocks, and that the heart is the origin of consciousness.

Either you live in a sheltered echo chamber, or life must be very difficult.

Though if the echo chamber existed, it'd be great. Much easier for you to hear yourself talk.