What are you all eating?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
So I've been trying to come up with some new options for what to take to work for meals. Lately I've been taking left overs like lasagna or pasta, sandwiches, soups, and of course I take some fruit and other miscellaneous snacks; but I'm getting a little bored with that. I'm just wondering if any of you have favorite recipes or things you like to take to work? All of our stations have full kitchens so if it requires a little preparation that's fine. Thanks everybody!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Fruit, celery with hummus, pita pockets stuffed with ham, salad and some mustard, left over anti cancer soup, oatmeal, all sorts of things

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
I make lots of foil meals. Make up foil pouches throw them in the oven and wait. I make all three meals at home bring them in one cooler and don't have to worry about prep.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Great ideas guys, I'm liking the idea of foil meals. Brown, I had totally forgotten about pitas, thanks!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown makes a weeks worth of massive salad and keeps it in an airtight container in the fridge with some glad wrap between container and lid to stop the condensation getting it. Same goes for hummus, soup, falafel, hamburger mix, just drag it out, do a little prep and eat. It can be as simple as throwing some soup into a pot and heating it for a few minutes.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Great! I think I'll just have to start experimenting with different foods and see what I find. I mean, I've got 48 hours off between shifts, that's got to be plenty of time :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I found these Pita rounds at the grocery store that are nice. Honey wheat that I toss some cheese, spicy mustard, and some turkey or chicken on. Rather small, so I can pack two or three in a standard sandwich size container. I'll also bring apples and peanut butter, little steam meals that you just toss in the nuker... Plus the usual pasta, grapes, craisins, string cheese... maybe a few other things I swap in and out.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I found these Pita rounds at the grocery store that are nice. Honey wheat that I toss some cheese, spicy mustard, and some turkey or chicken on.

That sounds delicious, I think I'll put that on my shopping list for tomorrow and try it next shift

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a big fan of cooking a nice dinner the night before my shift, then noshing the leftovers at work.

Here's a healthy, quick one that's easily variable based on whatever you have lying in your fridge:

- rinse some quinoa
- cook quinoa with a little olive oil and some white wine, chicken broth or water
- while quinoa is cooking, put califlower OR broccoli on top (don't stir it in)- it will steam naturally while the quinoa cooks
- once quinoa is cooked, add sauteed onions, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, cashews, kale, spinach, cooked chicken, whatever veggies you have around the house

simple, fast meal for two plus leftovers to take to work... full of complete whole grains, extra protein if you added chicken, and veggies.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
All that sounds very nice, but WHERE in the bloody hell is Brown's bean dip :D

you are relentless!

i'll have you know i was eating some very delicious beandip at a 4th of july BBQ yesterday and i was thinking "gee, i should really send some to that guy on the ems forum who is always harassing me about beandip"

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm also a big fan of a meal when I'm at work, not just snacks. I like to bring a piece of fish for the grill, some asparagus or broccoli to steam and a little pasta. It's quick, easy and way better than a cold sandwich or leftovers. Of course, I also bring the ready to heat n eat stuff like soup and tuna in the event that I'm up against time.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Oatmeal for breakfast. I use the Keurig machine to get the hot water for it and it's delish. I typically eat salads with some feta cheese on top. I struggle the most with protein intake. I really do not like meat and I'm always looking for alternatives.

I'm known as "that paramedic that only eats rabbit food" at work.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
I work 36 hours at a time so I tend to drag a lot of food to the station. I usually bring some frozen meals, a sandwich, leftovers from the night before or sometimes food in the crock-pot ready to go. I also throw a straight peanut butter sandwich in my rig bag so that I always have something available if I don't make it back to the station for 32 hours. The problem is that whenever I plan what I'm going to eat we run the whole shift. That's EMS, I guess.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I work 36 hours at a time so I tend to drag a lot of food to the station. I usually bring some frozen meals, a sandwich, leftovers from the night before or sometimes food in the crock-pot ready to go. I also throw a straight peanut butter sandwich in my rig bag so that I always have something available if I don't make it back to the station for 32 hours. The problem is that whenever I plan what I'm going to eat we run the whole shift. That's EMS, I guess.

I have a similar problem, except whenever I plan what I'm going to eat we don't run the whole shift, and then when I don't plan what I'm going to eat...we still don't run the whole shift...:ph34r:

EDIT: Great ideas so far guys (and gals), keep 'em coming!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
PBJ and Pibb. We were poor. Rarely, a split pizza.

Later in field with Guard, jerky and corn nuts and MRE leftovers and water.
ER: each shift I'd get a frsh emesis basin, put it on the desk and fill it with mixed corn nuts and plain M&M's, we'd graze. ("Soy nuts" and M&M's taste OK too).

Now, if I'm doing a short coverage (up to 12 hrs), two or three 2-packs of a dry (no chocolate, no "chewy") Nature Valley granola bar, and lots of water. Longer, back to the PB sandwich.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I forgot one of my favorite things to take, and I usually leave at least one or two in the ambulance during my shift. PB and Nutella sandwiches :D

LostViet408

Forum Crew Member
I usually just buy fast food lol too lazy to cook up a meal, unless the wife makes me a 3 meal course. =)

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I forgot one of my favorite things to take, and I usually leave at least one or two in the ambulance during my shift. PB and Nutella sandwiches :D

Damn, I forgot to put Nutella on my shopping list today :( Oh well, I'll just pick some up on my way to work tomorrow :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm going shopping tonight and I had to add it to my list too :D