What are some extra certifications I can get as an EMT-B in Southern California?

zFrostyy

Forum Probie
Seems like there's enough alphabet soup certifications to make you blue in the face by the time you're done finding them all, some carry weight in the field, some don't, i'm looking for some practical certifications that will improve my care, and understanding currently and in the future, carry weight with employer(s)/medic school(s) and most importantly able to be obtained as BLS/EMT-B in Southern California.

Currently i'm looking into BART (Basic Arrhythmia Recognition Training).

Any pointers? Tips? Courses?

Thanks in advance!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like there's enough alphabet soup certifications to make you blue in the face by the time you're done finding them all, some carry weight in the field, some don't, i'm looking for some practical certifications that will improve my care, and understanding currently and in the future, carry weight with employer(s)/medic school(s) and most importantly able to be obtained as BLS/EMT-B in Southern California.

Currently i'm looking into BART (Basic Arrhythmia Recognition Training).

Any pointers? Tips? Courses?

Thanks in advance!
Well as for use in Los Angeles County not many if any! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Honestly, the best added education a basic can get is a true anatomy and physiology course. Or a paramedic class.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The best cert for an EMT in CA is college level classes and a paramedic license.

OP
OP
Z

zFrostyy

Forum Probie
Yeah, I was mainly looking for classes that I can take between now and medic school(Spring 2017)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For an EMT in CA all the requirements are is for you to pretty much just have a pulse. Unless you have a degree most employers won't care about what other merit badge course you have, and some won't even care about a degree.

OP
OP
Z

zFrostyy

Forum Probie
For an EMT in CA all the requirements are is for you to pretty much just have a pulse. Unless you have a degree most employers won't care about what other merit badge course you have, and some won't even care about a degree.

Hello emtlife I am pulseless and apenic and want to work as an EMT, what do?

OP
OP
Z

zFrostyy

Forum Probie
So study that instead of a worthless merit badge course.
It's not exactly a life consuming course. The days that it's scheduled for will be days I have off, it's 2 hours a day 4 days a week for two months, with that amount of time off i'm looking to be more productive to myself and my future than just one course.

From what i'm gathering bells and whistles BLS certs are worthless in terms of improving care and employers/medic schools dgaf?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's not exactly a life consuming course. The days that it's scheduled for will be days I have off, it's 2 hours a day 4 days a week for two months, with that amount of time off i'm looking to be more productive to myself and my future than just one course.

From what i'm gathering bells and whistles BLS certs are worthless in terms of improving care and employers/medic schools dgaf?
There aren't a whole lot of BLS certs that are going to be useful. Sure you can take an ACLS while at the BLS level, however it is not going to help you in the field since its stuff out of your scope as an EMT. The majority of medic programs will make you take their ACLS course even if you already have it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Yes. BLS certs are next to useless.

The more real education you have, the better off you'll be.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Does your school require a real A&P course with labs or a one semester survey course?

OP
OP
Z

zFrostyy

Forum Probie
Does your school require a real A&P course with labs or a one semester survey course?
The prerequisite is a survey course, and the real courses are two different classes with the Anatomy Course being a prerequisite to the Physiology course. If you take either of the two real courses the survey course is closed off to you.

I would love to take both of the real courses, however, i'm taking medic prep(the other prereq) in the fall and the one from the school i'm going to is well known to be fairly intense, it wouldn't be a good idea to take another course alongside that, and in the spring i'll be starting medic school.

MrJones

Iconoclast
The prerequisite is a survey course, and the real courses are two different classes with the Anatomy Course being a prerequisite to the Physiology course. If you take either of the two real courses the survey course is closed off to you.

I would love to take both of the real courses, however, i'm taking medic prep(the other prereq) in the fall and the one from the school i'm going to is well known to be fairly intense, it wouldn't be a good idea to take another course alongside that, and in the spring i'll be starting medic school.
The day will come that you'll wish you had taken the 'real' courses. It's impossible to know too much about anatomy and physiology (and, by extension, pathophysiology).