What are some additional certifications/classes that I should take/get once I become an EMT-B?

costa

Forum Ride Along
I'm not quite an EMT just yet, but I was curious which ones would be the most relevant for when I do finally get certified.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
While I probably should say “focus on getting your EMT”, I would suggest that beyond your EMT, the most useful standalone EMT-level CE courses are probably GEMS and PHTLS. GEMS is a valuable class because we see so many geriatric patients yet initial EMT education only briefly touches on the psychosocial issues that they face & the unique challenges of that community. PHLTS is relevant because the EMT ought to be a master of trauma care - so any splinting or assessment practice is good.

Other than that…start working towards a higher degree. It’s going to be the expectation for the workforce of the future across every career field. Taking college-level math & English will never be wasteful.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
From a "certifications" aspect, I agree. Geriatrics and taking a formal trauma course like PHTLS would be fantastic. Otherwise look at getting into college-level math, English Writing, and anatomy/physiology courses. Beyond that, pursue a degree in something because the general education you'll get will help you along the way.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
[mention]Akulahawk [/mention] Good point to add A&P!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I liked PEPP... ICS 100 & 200 are decent (take 200 in person, you will retain more than if you just take it online), and +1 for PHTLS.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hazmat awareness. ICS 100, 200,700 and 800. PHTLS. GEMS.

you’d be better served taking college classes though.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are interested in taking classes that you may or may not be able to get certifications in, but will count towards CE hours: go ahead and take ACLS, PALS, AMLS, etc. Especially if your company/ies will pay for them. As a Basic you won't be able to practice at that level, but it is good training and knowledge and if you decide in the future to get your Advanced or Paramedic it will help you with those courses.

Also go back and sit through EMT-Basic classes again, if you can: I did with my partners (both ALS and BLS) for CE hours and to help in the classes. The instructors used us as test dummies, and it was fun, and I learned more the 2nd time around than the 1st time.