what a week

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
:eek: I haven't been here much in the last week. It was a week ago today that our service had one of our trucks taken out by a woman that pulled out in front of it. I know not surprising it happens all the time. The bad thing was that the truck had just went to pick up another ALS crew that had broken down so the truck had 2 ALS crews in it when it wrecked. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. All four were hurt, not seriously but bad enough that we lost all of them for the rest of the shift(happened at 12pm) and 3 of them for the next shift they were scheduled for. Needless to say I have been @ the station. I went in on Friday, got there about 12:30pm and left the following day @ 9:30pm, went back in @8am worked a 28 and then was off for one day (had a vol fire meeting) and was back the next day at 7am and worked until 10pm then I was off one day and was back for another 14.....I am POOPED! I wouldn't have done it different though, I was glad I could be there when I was needed. Our guys are still recovering, one had a dislocated shoulder, it went out then back in. Another hurt his knee, on lift restriction now. One other hurt his knees, back and neck, he already had previous neck injusry so it was pretty hard on him, he still isn't back the other 3 are and one is fine now. The other two are still hurting but trying to suck it up and deal with it. I can't explain the feeling I had when I got the call that OUR guys were hurt, I drove like my car had wings getting there, I was so afraid they weren't okay. It left the whole Co. without a unit because we only have 3 on at once and the 3rd unit was working our guys! Lets hope next week is better! :rolleyes:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Boy that's a hell of a week. I'm happy to hear that everyone will be ok, and sorry for thier pain, and your being so exhausted!

Take a nap! In fact take several!

I hope everyone recovers quickly and you can get back to a normal schedule...

My best wishes to them and you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by kyleybug@Jan 21 2005, 02:10 PM
:eek: I haven't been here much in the last week. It was a week ago today that our service had one of our trucks taken out by a woman that pulled out in front of it. I know not surprising it happens all the time. The bad thing was that the truck had just went to pick up another ALS crew that had broken down so the truck had 2 ALS crews in it when it wrecked. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. All four were hurt, not seriously but bad enough that we lost all of them for the rest of the shift(happened at 12pm) and 3 of them for the next shift they were scheduled for. Needless to say I have been @ the station. I went in on Friday, got there about 12:30pm and left the following day @ 9:30pm, went back in @8am worked a 28 and then was off for one day (had a vol fire meeting) and was back the next day at 7am and worked until 10pm then I was off one day and was back for another 14.....I am POOPED! I wouldn't have done it different though, I was glad I could be there when I was needed. Our guys are still recovering, one had a dislocated shoulder, it went out then back in. Another hurt his knee, on lift restriction now. One other hurt his knees, back and neck, he already had previous neck injusry so it was pretty hard on him, he still isn't back the other 3 are and one is fine now. The other two are still hurting but trying to suck it up and deal with it. I can't explain the feeling I had when I got the call that OUR guys were hurt, I drove like my car had wings getting there, I was so afraid they weren't okay. It left the whole Co. without a unit because we only have 3 on at once and the 3rd unit was working our guys! Lets hope next week is better! :rolleyes:
Ok, quick question

Were they wearing their seatbelts???

Jon

OP
OP
K

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jan 21 2005, 08:16 PM
Ok, quick question

Jon
I asked the same thing and the two in front were but, the two in back were not one was in the captians chair and one on the bench. They were hurt worse in the back ofcourse, the driver was the one with the prior neck injury so it didn't help in that aspect but it did keep him from being thrown into the windshield. The passanger said it was the only thing that kept him from looking like he was giving "service" to the driver......only HE would make that statement :lol: ! The passenger was the only one that walked away pretty much okay, sore but okay, still mentally warped but okay other wise! :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by kyleybug+Jan 22 2005, 07:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kyleybug @ Jan 22 2005, 07:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Jan 21 2005, 08:16 PM
Ok, quick question

Jon
I asked the same thing and the two in front were but, the two in back were not one was in the captians chair and one on the bench. They were hurt worse in the back ofcourse, the driver was the one with the prior neck injury so it didn't help in that aspect but it did keep him from being thrown into the windshield. The passanger said it was the only thing that kept him from looking like he was giving "service" to the driver......only HE would make that statement :lol: ! The passenger was the only one that walked away pretty much okay, sore but okay, still mentally warped but okay other wise! :D [/b][/quote]
Gee - Maybe we can learn from this?

What is that line, Buckle up for Safety?

And I hope your guys get better quick

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I hope everyone gets back out there soon. This is an example of a day I never want to experience. Picking up comrades in need is something I never want to do.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Jan 24 2005, 09:23 AM
I hope everyone gets back out there soon. This is an example of a day I never want to experience. Picking up comrades in need is something I never want to do.
Amen to that!

OP
OP
K

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Everyone is back to work now. Only one is still on lift restriction. It has been fun though because we have been running 3 on a truck to help him out and we have had a ball. It makes a difference with that 3rd person. The pts have been told they are just so special that there were 3 of us sent. We had one going....told him we were informed he was a very wealthy individual and the 3rd was there for security purposes! We have a lot of fun any way on the job but this has even been better. He went to the DR yesterday and we will find out tomorrow if he is still restricted or not, I told him to milk it so we could continue our fun :) . I wish every truck had three all the time. Besides I hate to drive so I have been really enjoying it!

MICU802

Forum Ride Along
I know how ya feel, last week was really LONG. I was driving home in the blizzard, not any more than a half mile from the house. I look in my mirror and here comes this huge oil tanker-passing me, on a corner, in a non-passing zone of a small rural roadway. I was doing 40, and that was okay for me, not for him, he flies around me and throws dirt, stones, slush, and muddy snow all over my windshield. The snow drifted on the road side is like 30" deep, and the truck just gets sucked in like some black hole.

I throw the windshield wipers on.... :eek: they're weighted down by all that s*** that flew up on the hood... I put the hazards on right away, and start breaking more. No dice. four wheel drive is no good on ice. I was sliding, sideways, forward, fishtailing. My truck was sliding sideways, down hill, it cross the west bound lane, slammed into the guard rail, bounced off, turned me around. No vehicles coming, I was okay as long as it stayed on the smooth road. damn. It went off the berm, and rolled over on the pass. side, onto the roof, driver side, back onto the wheels and rolled to a stop against a tree... My mobile radio was crushed between the guard rail and dash and it became keyed. They tell me they heard metal grinding, scraping, and then a loud POOF... airbags went off... my door was crushed w/ the roof so I couldn't get it open. The roof was down about 10 inches, so I had to cut my seat belt, crawl over the seats.

On Star came on, asked if my air bags had deployed, if my vehicle was drive able, and if I needed the police, I was so freaked out I yelled "what the f**k do you think, the front wheels are broken off and the cab is flat-the police will probably want to know". He told the dispatcher that I was disoriented and possibly combative. No, I was pissed off b/c a BP Oil Truck just watched me get creamed and kept on driving, b*****d.

I wasn't going to be carted off to the ER and become a human finger puppet, so I climbed out the pass door and sat on the tailgate until my legs stopped shaking so I could stand up and go examine the remains of my whacker light that were crushed into the frozen ground.

I wasn’t hurt, except a road rash on my left arm, and cuts on my face... something hit me on the head (they think it was the roof), I think it was my dash light, there was a little piece of blue plastic stuck in my face. The cord went over the air bag doo hickey, and was ripped off the dash and hit me when the pass side air bag went off.

The ambulance responded before they were even dispatched (we’re the best :p)
b/c our radios have this thing where when you key your radio, it shows up as a specific ID on the base. Mine was the only one constantly open. I bet I broke a few FCC laws cursing my way out.
They arrive on scene and find me under the truck (I crawled under the box to get my bunker gear out), and report that I’m trapped under the vehicle. My brother is the assistant chief, so he freaks out, demands a helicopter, no matter what the weather is. The ambulance crew is freaking out at me b/c I’m moving around, I wiggle back out towing my gear bag, they freak out again. Talking to me like I’m a six year old not understanding what I’m doing.

The state police arrive, how fast were you going... 40... What’s the speed limit... 55... Were you using your safety belt... No I just cut it for the hell of it. Asked him why they weren’t going after the truck driver... well he didn’t do anything.... the f*** he didn’t, since when is it legal to pass in a non passing zone on a blind corner... well loops in the law... in a blizzard? Well, you have to agree... Leaving the scene of an accident? Well... BS! (I got a stern look, he got booted out).......... He was asked to step out b/c he wasn’t helping my blood pressure (190/100)

So I get bandaged up, refuse transport-threaten to walk home... they drive me home (across the street from the firehouse anyway). And this is the first time I’ve gotten out of bed (except for necessary things) since Saturday. I hurt EVERYWHERE, outside, inside, up-down... But I’m not leaving my trusty chair, I have an office chair on both floors, so I can just wheel myself around. :p

For now I’m stuck w/ the suburban, which isn’t as powerful as my pickup, but it will do.

Moral of the story, if your going out, take the other guy w/ you so he will be there to scream at and take your anger out on. I think I could have gotten his rear wheels if I would have done a 360 instead of hitting the snow bank.

Edited for foul language - FFEMT8978

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Im sorry... Im trying not to laugh!! :lol: The way you descibe your incident is halarious. Glad your ok. I have one question though... where do you buy your fuel?? :D

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
"where do you buy your fuel?" AHAHAHAH!!!!! I was doing so good not laughing out loud until that. Thanks.

I am glad your ok up there though. I hate the snow. I am from Michigan and I have no desire to go back to that iciness. I will take the snow white beaches of Florida ANY day.

MICU802

Forum Ride Along
I'm a Sunoco man myself, only b/c I get free coffee w/ every 8 gallons... :p
They got the truck driver, he claims he couldn't see what happened b/c his mirrors were iced over. They didn't charge him with anything. I'll remember that if the police ever need help.

I went to look at the truck today, since it finally quit snowing; the guard rails rubbed right through the hood-so I must have been traveling on the roof for sometime. The rear wheels are bent to the left, the front axle is broken in two places, and frame is bent downward in the middle between the box and cab. It's one of those things where you ask yourself how in the hell you survived. It looks like it was pushed sideways till the roof & undercarriage was crushed. Front tires were snapped completely off. I really didn't remember from when it first rolled over to when it stopped. It's possible I was k/o'd before the dash light hit me on the head. No more dash lights. Now I know why they have that sticker that says "do not place cord over air bag cover". :huh:

I'll try to get a picture of it later.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sounds like you were very lucky to walk away without any serious injuries! :eek:

As far as the dash lights go, I always end up hardwiring them into a secondary fuse block that I install, so it eliminates the problem of airbags catching the cord.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MICU802@Jan 26 2005, 03:24 PM
So I could stand up and go examine the remains of my whacker light that were crushed into the frozen ground.
a true WHACKER. gets thrown off the road, and is overcome by grief upon seeing the crushed mini-EDGE.

Jon

bls4tvrs

Forum Ride Along
:wacko: poor thing!!! I've a tiring week, too, but mine pales in comparison to yours!!! lol I work in dispatch, and that gets hectic enough, without the long hours. :p
- Sharon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I feel for you all to as I have been fighting some type of a cold all week and have been extremely tired. In fact had the nursing instructor of mine pretty much order me to take a nap the other day between classes. Starting to feel alittle bit better. Our class of 9 students for nursing are all pretty much not feeling well. I think we have been to close to each other. Oh well hope fully next week we are feeling better :)