Wet behind the ears & seeking guidance

InfoSeekingCivilian

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, I came across this site while looking into EMT courses online. I was hoping with all the knowledgeable people on this site, I find help in pointing me in the right direction of what i'm looking for.
I think its important to note that I am not looking to pursue a career in this field.
I am unfortunately a paranoid person by nature and NGEO's new program Doomsday Preppers has I guess "pushed me over the edge". I have begun to prepare for the various things that could lead to mass hysteria in the US. We saw what happened after the "delayed response" in the aftermath of Katrina... Just imagine if it was a widespread grid collapse...
So what I would like to do is take a course(s) to learn what would be necessary to be a "backalley medic" (if you get what I mean) for my family or group if **** really hit the fan.
I have very limited knowledge when it comes to the medical field and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. BLS? EMT? Both? Something different? Also knowing that I do not plan on a career in the field, is there a more cost efficient course I can take? Whether it be uncredited or some type of equivalent civilian course?

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated, Thank you

OP
OP
I

InfoSeekingCivilian

Forum Ride Along
Maybe you had a good :rofl: reading that, as I'm sure getting plenty of guff from family and friends... (its ok, sometimes I have to laugh at myself too) I can understand the teasing about the "bugout bag" and the recent collecting of Edible/Medicinal plant books. They may never come in handy and I hope thats the case, but in this instance its not only useful if SHTF. As a child I grew up on the corner of a lightless intersection where a country backroad crossed a downhill stretch of RT-1 where cars would often reach 60 mph. In 10 years I witnessed a handful of bad accidents where I believe lives were saved due to the fact that my neighbors included a married pair of EMT's, a nurse, and even a police dispatcher! Being that it was a small town and medical response was a bit slower then you would find elsewhere, I'm sure they attributed to keeping the victims alive until responders arrived.

There's a good chance of other instances in life where I may witness an accident whether it be job related, car crash, or other. If I could help save a life, the course would have more then payed for itself in my book! Maybe a little write up about it in the local paper, something I could shove in my fiancee's face while I shout "Waste of money!?! Obsessive paranoid behavior?!? HA!" Not necessary, but would be a nice bonus along with some possible get into heaven points... I'm not crazy, I swear! :wacko:

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
I'm not laughing at all. While an EOTWAWKI scenario is microscopic in probability, I do believe being prepared "prepping" for short term disasters is essential and its recommended by FEMA.

I'm going to PM you a link to a board that has great resources and discussions on shooting, food storage and prep, essential first aid and survival training, and everything in-between.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
On a serious note, welcome to the site...on a serious note...contact thr Red Cross/AHA and do a basic first aid/CPR course, at least that way you will know that what you do is the correct thing (who knows, you might get bitten by the bug and end up doing an EMT course or some such thing)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think taking an EMT class for your purposes would be a bit of a waste of time for you. I also think that in an end of the world situation/zombie apocalypse, anything that cannot be fixed with common fix probably cannot be fixed at all.

Take a quality "advanced first-aid" course and call it a day. Hell you'll know about as much as EMTs do anyway!

OP
OP
I

InfoSeekingCivilian

Forum Ride Along
Thank you slice, I will check them out for sure. Im actually in the NorthEast anyways. (20 min. N of Boston) I appreciate the help, thank you!

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Take a quality "advanced first-aid" course and call it a day. Hell you'll know about as much as EMTs do anyway!

Speak for yourself...

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Hello all, I came across this site while looking into EMT courses online. I was hoping with all the knowledgeable people on this site, I find help in pointing me in the right direction of what i'm looking for.
I think its important to note that I am not looking to pursue a career in this field.
I am unfortunately a paranoid person by nature and NGEO's new program Doomsday Preppers has I guess "pushed me over the edge". I have begun to prepare for the various things that could lead to mass hysteria in the US. We saw what happened after the "delayed response" in the aftermath of Katrina... Just imagine if it was a widespread grid collapse...
So what I would like to do is take a course(s) to learn what would be necessary to be a "backalley medic" (if you get what I mean) for my family or group if **** really hit the fan.
I have very limited knowledge when it comes to the medical field and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. BLS? EMT? Both? Something different? Also knowing that I do not plan on a career in the field, is there a more cost efficient course I can take? Whether it be uncredited or some type of equivalent civilian course?

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated, Thank you

In a true SHTF scenario, the most basic of BLS is really going to be the only viable option. I second a basic first aid course as being a good starting point.

If you're looking to get a little more in depth, I'd recommend a course from an organization such as SOLO, Wilderness Medical Associates, or NOLS. I can personally recommend Wilderness Medical Associates, although I've heard good things about all three.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I would just like to point out...

This end of the world paranoia seems to be largely a US idea.

I don't see anyone anywhere else preparing for a total collapse of society.

Being prepared for a disaster is one thing.

Training and equipping yourself in the event of the end of the world (zombie apocalypse, etc), should be a sign to seek professional help.

I am going to go make a tinfoil hat and start a website teaching people how to shoot themself in the head and rid us of their stupidity in the event of sociological collapse.

But to answer the original question...

First aid, US EMT, paramedic, etc. assumes you are either driving to the hospital or help is coming.

After you sew up your gunshot wound from another idiot who thinks he is defending his compund, you'll rapidly discover what treating wounds without clean materials and antibiotics is like.

If that doesn't scare you, what do you think the outcome of this wild west land grab and gun battle will be if the situation goes on long enough to fight over reproductive opportunities.

In a total collapse of society, you are looking at females trading sex for protection, rape, etc.

If by some miracle you manae to hold on in your little clan in a few months without birthcontrol and a gene pool, you will be fielding the first generation who will likely inbreed. Not to mention you'll be out of ammo, long before then.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Take CERT training. See local FD.

Most disasters are small and personal like your house burns down or someone steals your identity or you are convicted of a crime and incarcerated. Preparation is through prevention, and evasion. (Don't try to ride out hurricanes).

The image of "barehanded single combat against Death" is very common in new and prospective EMS students. A good first aid kit and maintaining a means to evacuate in time, plus some others items (see the MULTITUDINOUS lists available, I recommend AmRedCross and FEMA as pretty sensible ones) are your best bet.

PS: if you live in a flood zone, or at the end of a dirt road in a forest, or some other place destined to burn/drown or shake (Los Angeles) itself to death, then move.

Noguchi-sensei said the best counterblow is to not be there for the blow to land.

OODAsquirrel

Forum Ride Along
Maybe you had a good :rofl: reading that, as I'm sure getting plenty of guff from family and friends... (its ok, sometimes I have to laugh at myself too) I can understand the teasing about the "bugout bag" and the recent collecting of Edible/Medicinal plant books. They may never come in handy and I hope thats the case, but in this instance its not only useful if SHTF. As a child I grew up on the corner of a lightless intersection where a country backroad crossed a downhill stretch of RT-1 where cars would often reach 60 mph. In 10 years I witnessed a handful of bad accidents where I believe lives were saved due to the fact that my neighbors included a married pair of EMT's, a nurse, and even a police dispatcher! Being that it was a small town and medical response was a bit slower then you would find elsewhere, I'm sure they attributed to keeping the victims alive until responders arrived.

There's a good chance of other instances in life where I may witness an accident whether it be job related, car crash, or other. If I could help save a life, the course would have more then payed for itself in my book! Maybe a little write up about it in the local paper, something I could shove in my fiancee's face while I shout "Waste of money!?! Obsessive paranoid behavior?!? HA!" Not necessary, but would be a nice bonus along with some possible get into heaven points... I'm not crazy, I swear! :wacko:
In my exceptionally humble opinion it's never a bad idea to have some lifesaving training.

Knowing Basic Life Saving skills is just a good idea, whether the doo doo is going to hit the fan or not.

That being said, the reason I went to my EMT class is because I'm a firearms instructor and my insurance premiums go down a little if there is a trained EMT on site for every class.

That being said, the amount of information I got on treating GSW vs everything else was about a ratio of 3:691. But now that I'm 3/4 through my class and into my ride time I'm really enjoying EMS much more than I thought I would. My plan was not to make it a career but now I'm definitely thinking I will stick in it for a little while longer. A lot of things have just clicked for me. I'm enjoying what I'm doing and I'm doing it well (so far).

But I do agree that if you are looking for just survival information an EMT class is really not what you're looking for. As stated, it is all geared toward keeping someone alive or stable long enough to get them to someone who knows more than you and has more options than you. If you are in a societal collapse kind of a situation you would be doing things a lot differently.

There are some great books out there on treatment and "being your own doctor." There's a whole series of books called, "Where there is no doctor" and I've read the "Where there is no Dentist" and "Where Women Have No Doctor." Very good books considering the issues both scenarios present.

When it comes to post-societal medicine it's not the trauma and the gunshot wounds that are going to kill people on a mass scale (though it will help, certainly), it's the tooth infections because no one knows how to keep their mouths healthy when the toothpaste runs out, contaminated food due to lack of refrigeration, staff infections from poorly cleaned cuts on people who've never had to do hard labor before. Disease from people who defecate or dump their waste too closely to their food/water supplies or don't know how to clean themselves when the hand sanitizer and soap run out. Or disease from eating meat or products of animals who are infected because there is no vet and you can't tell your goat or cow you get your milk from is sick. People with asthma and heart disease who can't get their meds. Women who are pregnant (or get pregnant) and no one knows how deliver a breech baby or twins without a scalpel and an epidural. Newborn babies when women can't figure out what to do when they have breastfeeding issues and there is no baby formula. Common infections when there are no more antibiotics. A return of diseases previously eradicated by vaccines once those vaccines run out. Lack of food and water in winter months. Heat and dehydration in summer months. Lack of certain nutrients from a diet that consists of only what is available... they don't teach you ANY of that stuff in an EMT class or even in med school and if that's what you're looking for you'd best start researching each of those topics individually.

Where/how do you dig an outhouse? How do you store/preserve food where there is no electricity? How to harvest and store ice for an entire summer. Canning/preserving.. building a wood burning oven.. making bread from scratch.. milking a cow (or goat).. raising chicks, pigs, cows... slaughtering chickens, swine, cattle... preserving milk in things cream, butter and cheese (and believe me, making cheese is no picnic but it's one of the best ways to preserve milk for at least a little longer because fresh-from-the-cow milk with no refrigeration goes bad pretty quickly).. planting a garden.. preserving seeds from a harvest for planting the next season... protecting young plants from frost... collecting and storing water for both drinking and bathing.. making soap... natural antibiotics, antifungals, etc. wound CLEANING!! and bandaging where no alcohol and peroxide are available. And so much more.

In a true end of society situation your store bought bug out bags are only going to last you so long. If you don't have the skills and knowledge addressed above you'll likely only live as long as your supply provides.

I don't think you can really go wrong with EMT training but from the sounds of it it's not really what you are looking for.

You really want some real-world experience.. go volunteer at your local (or not so local) living history farms where they teach a good deal of the skills I mentioned above.

good luck.