Weird interview

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Not so hopeful about this. I prepared my answers to potential questions and loaded up all my certs and off I went. First knock against me came when they gave me directions from the wrong highway, then luckily I plugged it into googlemaps and was told to get off at the "B" exit of the number I needed. There was no B and so I missed the exit making me late by 5 minutes. Ugh.

Got into a lot off goofing off and carrying on. Some of which was quite funny, but was handed an application and asked to sit at the table to fill it out. I did, and was asked for all my certs so I handed them over, some guy comes walking in with a pretty major exposure so mid handing my application over to the person I was told would be interviewing me, she stops, asked someone else to make copies of my certs and said she'd be right back after she assisted with getting clean clothes for the exposure situation. Lady comes back says hi, thanks, bye.

I left really bewildered. My last two interviews have been odd. It seems if all they want for me to do is fill out an app, then maybe that's how it should be worded? I expected an interview, and was in and out in 15 minutes. I guess I can cross that one off the wish list. I would think they would at least ask a few questions if they were interested. Bummer. This unit would have given me some great experience, and the pay was pretty decent for the area as well.

8jimi8

CFRN
Not so hopeful about this. I prepared my answers to potential questions and loaded up all my certs and off I went. First knock against me came when they gave me directions from the wrong highway, then luckily I plugged it into googlemaps and was told to get off at the "B" exit of the number I needed. There was no B and so I missed the exit making me late by 5 minutes. Ugh.

Got into a lot off goofing off and carrying on. Some of which was quite funny, but was handed an application and asked to sit at the table to fill it out. I did, and was asked for all my certs so I handed them over, some guy comes walking in with a pretty major exposure so mid handing my application over to the person I was told would be interviewing me, she stops, asked someone else to make copies of my certs and said she'd be right back after she assisted with getting clean clothes for the exposure situation. Lady comes back says hi, thanks, bye.

I left really bewildered. My last two interviews have been odd. It seems if all they want for me to do is fill out an app, then maybe that's how it should be worded? I expected an interview, and was in and out in 15 minutes. I guess I can cross that one off the wish list. I would think they would at least ask a few questions if they were interested. Bummer. This unit would have given me some great experience, and the pay was pretty decent for the area as well.

send a follow up email thanking them for their time and letting them know you are still very intersted. Ask them something, where they have to respond to you, such as, "will there be any secondary interviews?"

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I was thinking about that on the way home. What would I even put in a "thank you for the interview" note when there was no interview. That question is a start though. Thanks.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Good lesson about leaving early enough for interviews. You should never be late. When I was applying for the ambulance job I really wanted I drove down there the day before to make sure I could find it. Also you should be leaving early enough that short of your car breaking down you are there well ahead of time (to the point of where you should be planning on sitting across the street/in the parking lot for 20 minutes, good time to go through your prep questions).

You shouldn't be cutting it so close that missing an exit makes you late. Not to preach but a good lesson for future interviews.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I was thinking about that on the way home. What would I even put in a "thank you for the interview" note when there was no interview. That question is a start though. Thanks.

Thank you for taking the time to consider me for a position. I look forward to hearing from you at such time that a position becomes available for which I have applied.

Regards,

Sassy Frass, EMT-LMNOP

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
This guy probably did the same as Brown, look at you and go "what in the bloody hell is a Sassafras?" :D

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Being late for interview is a big no, no. As employer it tells me that you will be unreliable. If you were late for interview, how late will you be for you shift.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
No offense, but i probably wouldn't even e mail them. Due to the fact you were late. Like people have said on here if you're late your done. The lady most likely took your app and copy of your certs and trashed them. If i were you i would wait a month or two and re-apply with them if your still not getting on with anyone.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I missed the exit making me late by 5 minutes...Got into a lot off goofing off and carrying on.

be right back after she assisted with getting clean clothes for the exposure situation. Lady comes back says hi, thanks, bye.

I would think they would at least ask a few questions if they were interested. Bummer.

Two ways to handle it.

One would be to figure they observed you being the Slacker you told us you are (see above) and really saw no need to give you the time of day.

The other would be to figure they didn't even notice you with the others present, that when the "exposure" incident came about, they even forgot why you were there in the first place.

Therefore, my advice would be write them a wonderful Thank You note for the interview. Address it to the head of the company and make sure you tell them based on your conversation with (her name), you're even more interested in being part of their organization. You might even mention something specific about them that you like that you also may suspect they're proud of.

I'm gambling the woman who supposedly interviewed you will be the Last person to read your thank you note. The Boss will take another look at what you left them and move you up in the pile.

(Take advantage of the ADD their organization exhibited!)

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
In my defense, had I not planned accordingly I would have been on the entirely different end of the city with the highway they told me to take when they gave me directions. There was no time to hunt down the establishment due to working massively long shifts in the days prior (and after getting the interview). You may be right, that it does look unreliable, however, I called as soon as I realized what happened with the exits off the highway while I was still running early. I left 30 minutes earlier than I needed to in order to account for traffic, however it obviously wasn't good enough. Lesson learned the hard way I guess, however the last unit I interviewed with was the same. I arrived 20 minutes early THEY were 20 minutes late and asked no questions of me again. Are all EMS units this way?

I *think* I know who the head of the company is? They know I tried 3 times to reach him before whoever was answering the phones realized I needed to talk to someone else. So perhaps I'll try that route.

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
This guy probably did the same as Brown, look at you and go "what in the bloody hell is a Sassafras?" :D

I did not put Sassafras on the application. ;)

But I could have done that and brought in a few saplings for the station LOL. Now THAT would have left a mark.