Weekends.

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
So most of my crew went out this last weekend to conference, and left me and 3 other EMT's to cover the whole weekend. Fri night hospital calls my personal phone (I work there as well as an EMT) say they are going to call the ambulance for a cancer PT who is spiking a fever. Direct admit. Ok no problem, I show up to the shed and another guy, we decide to go. Arrive at scene PT supine in recliner, BP and O2 taken BP is good but O2 if 40%! Partner goes to get O2, family has been doctoring in another city, says hes been on some oxygen at home. WE put PT on O2 and move PT to stretcher, luckly its only 2 blocks to the hospital, Get out of there ASAP, Family said they were using a nasal cannula PT would not tolerate facemask. At hospital they put the PT on hi-flow O2, PT is 200% better.

Anyway paperwork is doneand we are going home my partner says, "Hope I dont see you again." Jinxed us. About 04:30 pager goes off for a MVA on the interstated for female with neck and back pain. We respond this time we have 3 EMTs. At scene PT 18yof seated in car with pain neck and back collar and backboard into rig. The other girl (16yo) is standing walking around at scene our rig takes the both. Pager goes out that the other vehicle's occupant has pain. I grab jump kit and go to the other car. PT is in the back of the cop car, I ask the deputy, "Has he been drinking?". Answer, "OH Yeah!" Open door 26yom Pt in cop car with cuffs. States back pain and "sternum pain." I am getting buzzed just smelling this guys breath. I collar him, says he wasnt wearing a seatbelt, I ask if he hit the wheel. No. Did you get thrown around? No. Pain felt like needles poking him in back sternum was sore. Then he says his "buddy" was driving and when they crashed he got out and ran. Great. Pt vitals were normal, just allergic to handcuffs. Pt story keeps changing what hurts etc. and he goes to sleep in the cop car while I wait for our 2nd rig. I keep monitoring him although he is getting annoyed because I keep waking him up and its cold outside. 2nd rigs show up but, cops tell us we cannot leave until search and rescue shows up with lights and dogs. Great, but makes sense. We wait and hour on the interstate, SaR show up find nothing. We transport. I trend PT everything is normal, just getting mad because I wont let him sleep in the ambulance. Had to wait at hospital for police to show up with IDs etc of PT. Finally we get paperwork done and get to go eat breakfast. This weekend was basically my first true 'Solo' calls.