We put the "ehhh" in Advertising

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Since its inception in 2004, EMTLife has been ad-free. The first line of our forum rules clearly state that we don't allow tolerate advertising in [most] posts, and we remain committed to that ideal eight years later. We don't like advertising.

A few months ago we messed around with monetizing our links and putting advertising in our forum archive. It worked, and each month I watch the "rainy day fund" ever so slightly grow.

As I plot a new course and evaluate new opportunities, I intend to move EMTLife to its own server to ensure that the community remains stable and vibrant for years to come.

For the next month I am testing to see the amount of revenue generated by ads displayed to only to EMTLife guests. Logged in users will continue to enjoy an ad-free EMTLife.

As always, your comments, feedback, and ridicule are greatly appreciated.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
the only adds that bother me are the ones that pop-up in front of what I am trying to read. (like EMSworld had)

aside from them, I don't care.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
the only adds that bother me are the ones that pop-up in front of what I am trying to read. (like EMSworld had)

aside from them, I don't care.

Ditto. As long as they don't pop up, block content, suddenly play video or sound... I don't care. If it helps you recoup costs then do it, if it makes you millions buy us all new stethescopes... after a 20,000 post thread about which one is best!!! :D

Anjel

Forum Angel
If it will help I dont care aboit looking at ads on the side. But like the guys said, just not the annoying pop ups.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
You ought to make a buck for your service. I see nothing wrong with a few ads.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
You ought to make a buck for your service. I see nothing wrong with a few ads.

This.

Some banner ads across the top would be no issue at all.

LifelongEMT

Forum Crew Member
If you can make a little $ then do it! As everyone else said though pop ups are horrible. And preferably when you click on a link no re directs to the ad! but a banner or a section for ads would be just fine!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Yeah more money means better swag right ;) One day I dream of firing t shirts out of a launcher mounted on MMiz's customized Maserati chase car into a crowd of 100000 screaming EMTLIFE fans while they chant "bigbaldguy, bigbaldguy, bigbaldguy", while MMiz waves through the window and the rest of the CL's do a fly by in formation overhead in F-22 raptors painted like ambulances.

Or you know just handing out some keychains at a conference would be cool too.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yeah more money means better swag right ;) One day I dream of firing t shirts out of a launcher mounted on MMiz's customized Maserati chase car into a crowd of 100000 screaming EMTLIFE fans while they chant "bigbaldguy, bigbaldguy, bigbaldguy", while MMiz waves through the window and the rest of the CL's do a fly by in formation overhead in F-22 raptors painted like ambulances.

Why settle?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Firefox + AdBlock + FlashBlock. Go ahead and fill the forum with ads. I never see a single one.

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant

Yea, why settle? I like that idea. lol

Seriously though, as long as they arent pop-ups or automatically play sound I could care less, I will even click a few so you can get a few extra cents. Even if you do make a profit and can pocket a little bit (or most) of the money that'd be awesome you have more than earned it!

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
No worries about pop-ups or auto-plays, we hate those as much as you do. Better yet, ads are displayed only to non-members.