We had our first exam today

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
I scored 48/50. One of the questions bugs me.

Q:You have been told that you must get your annual purified protein derivative (PPD) test for tuberculosis (TB). As a knowledgeable EMT, you recognize that the PPD will:

My A : Reveal if you have active tuberculosis

Correct A: Determine if you have been exposed to TB.

I think my answer is a "More true" statement. A TB test cannot determine if you have been exposed to TB. It can only tell if you have TB. Correct?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
A positive TB test does not mean you have active TB, it means you have been exposed and carry the antibodies.

Active TB will be determined by chest xray.

Porkchop

Forum Crew Member
There is a difference between having TB and having active TB. If I remember correctly, the only(or maybe just best) way to determine if you have active TB is a chest x-ray. The PPD just determines if you have been exposed. If you are positive, they will tell you to get a chest x-ray.

I'm sure I could have explained all that better, but does that make sense?

Oh, and good job on the test. Keep it up.

Edit: Dang, got beat to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I scored 48/50. One of the questions bugs me.

Q:You have been told that you must get your annual purified protein derivative (PPD) test for tuberculosis (TB). As a knowledgeable EMT, you recognize that the PPD will:

My A : Reveal if you have active tuberculosis

Correct A: Determine if you have been exposed to TB.

I think my answer is a "More true" statement. A TB test cannot determine if you have been exposed to TB. It can only tell if you have TB. Correct?

Nope, yer incorrect. PPD only tests for exposure.

OP
OP
ihalterman

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
I reread the chapter and, yeah, I was wrong. THanks for the replies

JPINFV

Gadfly
Nope, yer incorrect. PPD only tests for exposure.

Err... not really correct either. Purified protein derivative (PPD) tests for a memory B-cell response to TB proteins. So if you've received the vaccine (rare in the US), then you'll produce a response. Similarly, someone who has TB or has been exposed to TB and is immunocompromised might not have a reaction.

If you are positive, they will tell you to get a chest x-ray.

An important caveat is that once you test positive, you might as well skip the PPD test and go straight to x-ray.

Last edited by a moderator: