Washington State EMS Certification Question #2

Drax

Forum Captain
So, second time around.

I'm sure this will get answered inevitably, but I've been recently been picked up by a volunteer fire department and wanted to know:

Since this is the first time I'm actually getting a state certification, do I need to fill out an initial application?

At the end of EMT school, I filled out an "initial" and we all submitted it to our instructors. I am nationally registered, but have no idea where to look to see if I'm a pending application status, waiting for a sponsoring agency.

That said, I do know that there are two forms and have copies of both. I'd like to expedite and be ahead of the game on what I have to do because I'd

a.) like to look squared away and know FireWA1 and DEmedic are subject matter experts on Washington state specific questions.

b.) would like to start practicing as soon as possible.

I realized this may be the wrong section, and I know answering noob questions is not very fun or rewarding sometimes. I would greatly appreciate experience and knowledge coming from anyone, thank you very much for your time.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
So the department should know what to do paperwork wise to get you your EMT. Bring in your nremt and that "initial" paperwork to whoever does the paperwork processing and they will be able to help you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is the form, BTW, for anyone who's curious. http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/530060.pdf

For example, with TriMed in King County, here's how it worked.

You would complete the information and hand the form to your employer. They complete the form (minus the medical director's portion) and send it to the DOH in Olympia. They recieve the form and DOH sends it to the Doc at UW in Seattle. He signs and return the form to Olympia. 6 to 8 weeks after your original submission, you'll have a card. When your info is entered in the system, you'll be "pending". Not cleared to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Drax

Drax

Forum Captain
This is the form, BTW, for anyone who's curious. http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/530060.pdf

You would complete the information and hand the form to your employer. They complete the form (minus the medical director's portion) and send it to the DOH in Olympia. They recieve the form and DOH sends it to the Doc at UW in Seattle. He signs and return the form to Olympia. 6 to 8 weeks after your original submission, you'll have a card. When your info is entered in the system, you'll be "pending". Not cleared to work.

Yeah printed that form and the "update" form out preemptively and started filling them out. I've tossed the "update" one out now, I'll be calling my MSO today to get the ball rolling.

Wonder how many shifts I'll be doing ride alongs before I get to actually help out then. Probably for the best, but I'm so ecstatic. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Drax

Drax

Forum Captain

Lol, Old Thread Warning.

As opposed to creating a #3 to this series. 6-8 weeks is the typical turn around time? Anyone else get their's sooner? I'm at about 3.5 weeks. Seems like an awfully long time to be waiting, I'm not even in the system as pending yet.

I've got another job that was asking me to start the process over for them until I explained it should already be enroute.

PotatoMedic

Yup. It took me almost two months to get mine. And a guy I work with it took three hours. I know it sucks. Did they cash your check yet?

OP
OP
Drax

Drax

Forum Captain
Yup. It took me almost two months to get mine. And a guy I work with it took three hours. I know it sucks. Did they cash your check yet?

When would I have given them a check?

I don't see anywhere on the WA DoH site that references a cost. Can you provide a reference?

Edit:

I've been told the Department (be it the Department or County Medic One) picks up the cost.

PotatoMedic

Maybe I was thinking of my CNA in regards to the check... Either way... it takes a while for the state to process that stuff. Why? who knows. Prob ably sheer volume of applications.

OP
OP
Drax

Drax

Forum Captain
Maybe I was thinking of my CNA in regards to the check... Either way... it takes a while for the state to process that stuff. Why? who knows. Prob ably sheer volume of applications.

Would you really have to have a second background check when you're already an active EMT? That would explain the back up then, not a great protocol.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, the state doesn't charge for EMS certifications, unlike most other medical field licenses and certs, though there have been efforts to change that.

OP
OP
Drax

Drax

Forum Captain
Yeah, the state doesn't charge for EMS certifications, unlike most other medical field licenses and certs, though there have been efforts to change that.

Great reference, thank you. I remember reading one which mention of volly from Buckley too.