Walmart Raises Minimum Wage to $10 - Why Not EMS?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What about paramedics...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
LMAO that company is not worth it. You would be better off eating sawdust and pooping 2x4's.

Either way we need some ambulance companies to help cut back on the stranglehold AMR has on my town....its ridiculous. They swallowed all the companies here a few years back and now they are all that is here except one ambulance company in Yacolt, Washington- North Country EMS. I should not have to always consider and reconsider again working in Oregon just because they are all that is here EXCEPT a couple of volunteer positions that pop up every once and a while (~4-5) a year. If Oregon would fix their ****hole of a freeway since all the traffic problems in this area of Portland and Vancouver stem from their bottlenecks in their freeways 90% of the time. If they fixed that then id consider with more intent working in the dumpsterfire that is Portland, until then its more economical to live in Vancouver and work in Longview/Kelso than anywhere in Oregon. So some damn companies need to get their asses out here to kick AMR in the nuts so that EMTs can have more real opportunity rather than be considered for the only private ambulance company in the area. Oh yea did I say *#$% Oregon yet?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Either way we need some ambulance companies to help cut back on the stranglehold AMR has on my town....its ridiculous. They swallowed all the companies here a few years back and now they are all that is here except one ambulance company in Yacolt, Washington- North Country EMS. I should not have to always consider and reconsider again working in Oregon just because they are all that is here EXCEPT a couple of volunteer positions that pop up every once and a while (~4-5) a year. If Oregon would fix their ****hole of a freeway since all the traffic problems in this area of Portland and Vancouver stem from their bottlenecks in their freeways 90% of the time. If they fixed that then id consider with more intent working in the dumpsterfire that is Portland, until then its more economical to live in Vancouver and work in Longview/Kelso than anywhere in Oregon. So some damn companies need to get their asses out here to kick AMR in the nuts so that EMTs can have more real opportunity rather than be considered for the only private ambulance company in the area. Oh yea did I say *#$% Oregon yet?
There is a lot of entitlement here.

Companies want large service contracts.
Municipalities want one point of contact.

At no time does anyone feel sorry for the plight of the worker who chooses to stand in a crowd of thousands trying to fill a handful of positions.

The sooner you realize no one gives a **** about you other than you and your mom, the sooner you will figure out what to do next.

In short, you need a better plan.
Waiting around for other people to "get off their asses" may not cut it.

*respectfully*

Last edited:

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
That's exactly why I am going to Longview/Kelso, I am not waiting because I doubt anything will happen the way I want here but as I said if Oregon would fix their ****hole of a freeway I would not mind working there. This is not your ******** entitlement, this is simply a states lack of giving a ****. Tired of so many people assuming that everyone who argues for something feels they are entitled to what they are arguing for....**** that.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
That's exactly why I am going to Longview/Kelso, I am not waiting because I doubt anything will happen the way I want here but as I said if Oregon would fix their ****hole of a freeway I would not mind working there. This is not your ******** entitlement, this is simply a states lack of giving a ****. Tired of so many people assuming that everyone who argues for something feels they are entitled to what they are arguing for....**** that.
I get tired of people using the phrase "I am not willing to..." and then trying to play the victim. The fact that "you are not willing" to do anything reflects the presence of choice. Obviously you have made your choice. No sympathy for having a bad plan.

Figure out what kind of life you want.
Figure out how much money is required to live that way.
Find a job that pays that wage.
Get the skills required to get that job.
Be happy.

However, I find that complainers complain wherever they are. Not necessarily saying that's you, but you need to stop relying on others to reach your goals. The playing field is not level so you need to adapt.

Angel

Paramedic
thats the sad harsh truth shirtz...i have a few friends i need to send your post to!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

You aren't doing yourself any favors if this how you present your argument.

"If X would just happen, I would be doing Y," is not how you get ahead, or anywhere for that matter. Figure out what you can change and do that. Stop waiting for outside factors to direct your life, you'll just be waiting forever.

Also some might say that AMR having a dominating presence can be good for its employees. Where I am at I know AMR is not likely to go anywhere, so my part time job will always be around.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
If they fixed that then id consider with more intent working in the dumpsterfire that is Portland, until then its more economical to live in Vancouver and work in Longview/Kelso than anywhere in Oregon.
Gee, if you didn't have such a wonderful attitude I might mention that in both Portland, and the Portland Metro Area the only private ambulance companies are MetroWest, AMR and...<drumroll please>...AMR.

Knock yourself out kiddo.

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Gee, if you didn't have such a wonderful attitude I might mention that in both Portland, and the Portland Metro Area the only private ambulance companies are MetroWest, AMR and...<drumroll please>...AMR.

Knock yourself out kiddo.

Yea I know who works there.....the difference is all the jobs are there.

Also Tigger I am not waiting for outside factors, these are simple statements about what I would LIKE to happen not what I am WAITING for....cuz I dont expect anything to fall perfectly into place, I have to get it myself which I know yet there is always the chance some of these ridiculous problems could be fixed EVENTUALLY by someone other than me....I will not improve the world when no one else gives a damn to try....go ahead an analyze that now....im sure will have a few more "entitlement posts"....

Tiger09

Forum Probie
I see business owners against employees heating up in this thread.

There are aspects to both I agree with. Here are a few points I'd like to make.

There are a lot of companies that are not "small businesses" in the private EMS world. Envision Healthcare, the leader in private ambulances in the US, made 3.73B in NET revenue in 2013; it is the largest private employer of EMS folks in the USA. That number has increased undoubtedly in 2015. (http://investor.evhc.net/press-rele...uarter-and-full-year-2013-results-and-reaffir)

In case you don't know what that B means... That is $3,730,000,000.00 in one year. Just shy of 4 billion dollars.

Average starting salary for full time EMT/Paramedic =$31, 020 in one year (the latest Bureua of Labor Statisics report was from 2012 and it combines EMTs & Paramedics from the private AND public sector) (http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/emts-and-paramedics.htm)

I believe I started at about $21,000 GROSS annually as a basic WITHOUT OT. (NOT with Envision) When I transferred to EMSC (later EnVision) I made even less as a basic, clocking in at about $19,000 Gross annually, again WITHOUT OT in a different part of the state with a lower cost of living. In 2014, as a Paramedic in a different state and after going to school to advance skill level, I made about $57, 000 in one year WITH OT (Base is about $47,000)... Me= $57,000, them= 4,000,000,000.00

It is true that you should not accept a job that doesn't pay you enough to make the rent payment. However, the fact that people want to do this job doesn't mean that just because it is a stepping stone, or a minimal skill set, or a position that comes with inherent risks (biological risks, code 3 driving risks, injury risks) doesn't mean that employers should pay low-down-dirty wages. Some folks don't have a choice... It's take this minimum wage job, or be a crook, or be on public assistance...

We ought to make more than a person flipping burgers or a Walmart employee, any way you slice it...But individuals should also do their part in securing suitable wages (relocating, schooling, etc.) Am I saying we should be rich? No, but while the starting wages should entice you to progress your education it should also allow you to provide a modest roof over your head and food on the table and a child if you want... if you want to live a minimal lifestyle. If you want 3 kids, a house, a boat, steaks, and that type of lifestyle then you should indeed have to move up the ladder. But the base should be enough to provide for a small family - you know... the American dream. While to us in the business it is the lower step, but to give it equal justice it is not on the level of a burger flipper or a person who took a free first aid class. And it comes with responsibilities that should be better compensated for.

Counter point to the business guys: While it is not your responsibility to put a roof over your employees head, you should be concerned if he can not. Small business owners are generally providing a service to their local community. The local community suffers if wages are insufficient or stagnant. It is a major factor that drives people with progressive motives out while enticing those with more nefarious or self-serving motives in. As a business owner, you should get your big slice... It doesn't need to be a communist style "give me an equal slice." Rather it should be what is fair. And yes, if you want what you believe to be "fair" then go get a better freakin' job. I get that. I did that... but 4B to 57K?!... If I weren't such a damn hard worker, who believes that doing the right thing and working hard and climbing the ladder will eventually pay off, I would be inclined to give my most minimal productivity humanly possible in the workplace. They ought to pay us more. I understand why we have some lazy folks around in EMS, like every other place. You cannot deny that the cost of everything (food/fun/housing/travel/taxes/registration fees/education/EMS licensing fees/ETC) is rising while the wages are not...

Additionally, just because we can only do what a doc tells us we can do, doesn't mean we shouldn't make more. Are you serious with that? I have the responsibility, and at the end of the day I am the one held accountable for what I do in the field... not that doctor. Your argument is invalid. We should be compensated based on our KSAs and education level... RNs make 2-3 times what we do... in an industry that makes comparable net profits. I'm not trying to debate the RN vs Paramedic pay in particular, but it is a good example for EMS. (A similar comparison would be a policeman vs. correctional officer making the same ballpark salary.) I can intubate, dart, use electrocution, administer drugs, interpret EKGs, etc.. on my own accord and I am liable for my actions. The RN must defer to a Doc. She makes 2-3 times more than me, and I have a trainload of more responsibility than she does... WHY!?! I don't want to be an RN just to make more $$$. I want to do what I love and make that... The system is broken, as a whole. It isn't one businessman's fault. In business there is red and black, in life there is black and white, and in EMS there is a whole lot of ******* grey!

-We should be fixing the problem together, not bantering about who gets what and who is worth more, and where is the line between a greedy businessman and a fair businessman.

Personally, I am working on my degree and on up to MD as well as moving on to a "career" agency.

Also, convicted felons can work at Walmart.... Just sayin.
Super late but this is a damn good post