Walk that Chest Pain???

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
In school we are taught to never walk a patient complaining of chest pain to the ambulance. And in the field we continue with that.

But then I come to work, here in the ER, and it doesn't matter what the person in complaining of, if they can walk under their own power they do.

People complaining of CP with N/V and radiation to the left arm are walked to the back, told to undress from the waist up and lay down on the bed.

So whats the difference between us in the field thinking CP is serious enough to wheel the pt to the truck VS. in the ER where the Nurse makes them walk to their bed?

There are numerous patients that come through our doors and I would immediately get them a wheelchair at the very least, but since "HERE" I am "JUST a registrar" I am not supposed to think under my own power, and then the nurse walks them all over the place.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
They're simply following thier ABC's

A - Ambulate
B - Before
C - Carry

:p

I can only hazard a guess as to why they are really walking these patients, other than to determine if they're capable of it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Every ER I transport to would immediately put the patient in a wheelchair. Some would place on O2. Even the best sometimes make the patient wait 10+ minutes while the overloaded registrar registers the patient

Is there a shortage of wheelchairs? Transport folks?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If it's your job to take them to their bed, start a trend and start putting them in chairs, only if this doesn't break any SOP. If it's not your job then I wouldn't bring it up, unless you could do it in a conversation-type way.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
one can suggest, but not order a patient, if the patient wishes to dance the macarena it's still (last i knew) a free country....

~S~

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Well nurses obviouly know more than we do, after all the have BSN behind their name...we only have (NR)EMT/I/P behind ours...we are the bottom feeders to them...they even think they know more than the docotrs, at least around here....:excl:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Good point Princess, I never really thought about that, but then I've never worked in an ER, and we didn't have one possible MI during my rotations at the ER. You're right, maybe you should bring it up to your supervisor?

nyc.ems

Forum Crew Member
if your walking a pt with chest pn. it's going to take longer to get the pt. to the hospital,if the pt codes on you and fall to the ground.get as fast as you can to the ambulance.nurses deal with pt. in the hospital already.god forbids anything bad to happen but if is does....the pt. is there already.also not all nurses walk chest pn. pt.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
ffemt8978 said:
They're simply following thier ABC's

A - Ambulate
B - Before
C - Carry

:p

I can only hazard a guess as to why they are really walking these patients, other than to determine if they're capable of it.

HTML:
Especially if it's a Code F.B.!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
nyc.ems said:
can anyone tell me how to set up a thread?

From the list of available threads to read in each forum, in the upper left corner you'll find a button that says "New Thread". Click there.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
What would we do with out him...

Probably grind to a halt like liquid sand paper during se..... um.. Bad example.

But it wouldn't be good! ;) :p

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
d537d25a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Aww, shucks! :blush:

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
An awards ceremony huh....where was my invitation sent??

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
FFEMT1764 said:
An awards ceremony huh....where was my invitation sent??

You weren't invited. :p B)

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Gee thanks...so much for feeling the love huh?

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I understand completely...I have days like that too