Vomit Splashing Everywhere!

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's a neat trick I learned a while back. We carry small towels on our ambulances. My partner drives like a maniac. So when I get a pt who is suffering from N/V, I put a small towel into the emesis basin. That way, when the pt vomits into the emesis basin, the towel helps to soak up the vomit and it doesn't splash out when my partner takes a sharp curve at 60 mph. Also, if my pt drops the emesis basin, I won't have nearly as much to clean up.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
Here's a neat trick I learned a while back. We carry small towels on our ambulances. My partner drives like a maniac. So when I get a pt who is suffering from N/V, I put a small towel into the emesis basin. That way, when the pt vomits into the emesis basin, the towel helps to soak up the vomit and it doesn't splash out when my partner takes a sharp curve at 60 mph. Also, if my pt drops the emesis basin, I won't have nearly as much to clean up.
Yeah, I've heard that one. Do not, I repeat, do dot grab the emesis basin for the pukers. We carry them and the "wash basins" which are the deep rectangle ones. I assure you that projective vomit will reflect in your face, hands, and everywhere, should you decide to use the kidney-shaped emesis basin.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah... I've never found the kidney-shaped things to be useful for anything other than spitting out something

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't even think of having someone vomit into one of those little kidney shaped things, that's just stupid.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Guardian said:
I wouldn't even think of having someone vomit into one of those little kidney shaped things, that's just stupid.
Story:
Patient was severyly dehydrated. She got a couple bags of fluid on the way to the hospital. As we're transferring her to the hospital bed she asks for a bucket to vomit in. Generally we'd have some, but this hospital is the area's poor hospital. A pillow is a rolled up towel at this place.

So I start going through the drawers looking for a large emesis basin... noting... my partner finds the kidney sized one, hands it to her, and she starts projective vomiting. At this point everyone is around her just trying not to laugh. I start going through the ER, tearing open dividing curtains, and rummaging through everyone's drawers. Nothing! Finally I find a patient who is holding a large basin. I quickly ask if I can borrow it. I didn't even wait for an answer, I took it to my patient... and she finished her business.

Not one of my prouder days.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We use those little cross-stitching hoops that are about 1 foot across and place a red bag in them. Works in any situation, easily stored on the cot, and you can hand the "evidence" to the ER when you arrive. :p

disassociative

Forum Captain
Now, that's another topic in itself; God the weird things that docs ask
you to save and bring into the hospital! Ever been asked to save after-birth? eew.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
MMiz said:
Story:
Finally I find a patient who is holding a large basin. I quickly ask if I can borrow it. I didn't even wait for an answer, I took it to my patient... and she finished her business.

SERIOUSLY!! You STOLE a puke bucket from another patient to give to yours!!

That is just awesome. Way to advocate for your patient. I love it!! That is just cracking me up this morning. I will have to remember that.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I'll agree the little emisis basins are a joke. I grab the big basins or another handy tip is to use a large garbage bag that you can cut a hole in to place it around the patient and when they puke or start to heave you just pull the top open and it ceatches most of it.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I thought that our uniforms were supposed to catch all the random vomit. :O

One fine day at an event:
Kid: "I don't feel so good."
Mom: "My kid doesn't feel so good."
Me: *jumps out of the way*
Kid: *puuuuuuuke! baaaarrrff raaaaalllllppph*
Kid: "I feel better now!"

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
We have long plastic bags with a measurement on the side and the top is lined with cardboard. It's like a paper cup and instead of the usual bottom it's got a plastic bag hanging from it. I'm suprised you guys don't have those!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
We have long plastic bags with a measurement on the side and the top is lined with cardboard. It's like a paper cup and instead of the usual bottom it's got a plastic bag hanging from it. I'm suprised you guys don't have those!
asking02.gif

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Those disposable plastic emesis bags are good with the closed container on top, we carry "bath basins" the big type that is used for bed baths. They are cheap and deep... emesis basins (spit basins) are not big enough.

R/r 911

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Wingnut said:

We have the same thing. And boy, are they useful. Sometimes if we've forgotten to restock them, we're forced to use Bio bags. Since we carry everything in a bag, we're as streamlined as possible; basins would make that unsanitary and impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
We have the same thing. And boy, are they useful. Sometimes if we've forgotten to restock them, we're forced to use Bio bags. Since we carry everything in a bag, we're as streamlined as possible; basins would make that unsanitary and impossible.
Yeah.. these are useful...

Ours are white with a clear bag... I've used them for other "evidence" too.

We have them in every rig and in every bag.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MedicStudentJon said:
Yeah.. these are useful...

Ours are white with a clear bag... I've used them for other "evidence" too.

We have them in every rig and in every bag.

Ours are clear too. ANd we use them for a ton of other things also. Every rig should have them!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
We carry them in the backpacks that we have. I just didn't have a chance to grab one, and the kid only barfed on the lawn. :)