Volunteer interview follow up

AWalt

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I had an interview for a volunteer agency about a week and a half ago now. We have had some trouble communicating, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for when/if I should follow up? Thanks for all your thoughts!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Feel free to follow up. If they have a problem with you trying extra hard to volunteer your time, walk away.

unless you’re a felon or a total whack job, NOBODY is turning away volunteers.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
reading this makes me feel bad, when i got turned away as a volley :(. they indicated my time commitment wouldn't be sufficient. but as for the OP just follow up, like all the smart folks said, nobody should turn you away, most people are hurting for help.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
reading this makes me feel bad, when i got turned away as a volley :(. they indicated my time commitment wouldn't be sufficient. but as for the OP just follow up, like all the smart folks said, nobody should turn you away, most people are hurting for help.

If you got turned away a while ago and you still want to pursue that agency, you might find they're more flexible now. I mention that only because you say you feel bad. If you decided never to contact them again, that would make sense to me, too.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If you got turned away a while ago and you still want to pursue that agency, you might find they're more flexible now. I mention that only because you say you feel bad. If you decided never to contact them again, that would make sense to me, too.

Especially now with the decrease in volun across the US.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
itd be about a 4 hour commute for me to volley there. for me upset = "well thats odd and dumb, oh well 10 more hours to tinker with guns and cars"

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Hey everyone, I had an interview for a volunteer agency about a week and a half ago now. We have had some trouble communicating, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for when/if I should follow up? Thanks for all your thoughts!
I'd give it a month... many organizations have a process that involving a monthly meeting to get anything done, so I wouldn't stress if you haven't heard anything after a week and a half. If you have a contact, you can shoot them an email, but just because you haven't heard anything isn't necessarily a bad thing.

itd be about a 4 hour commute for me to volley there. for me upset = "well thats odd and dumb, oh well 10 more hours to tinker with guns and cars"
I'm sure you can find a different one that is closer to your new job...

On a more practical note, many people do want to volunteer but are put off by the actual time commitment it takes. In my career, I have seen plenty who are all gung ho when they start, but that energy declines... esp when they get a significant other (bf, gf, wife, husband, kids). Not only that, but you will find experienced guys who get tossed for all types of stupid reason, but at the end of the day, those reasons are legit, and they did agree to follow the agency's rules (even the stupid ones). Breaking those rules have consequences, even if you are an awesome person.